US Open

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n238042 said:
Joe Buck is awful. He's awkward and as I am typing there's a train going by...wtf.

I hope Fox loses this contract.

it's a 12 year contract. 😝

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n238047 said:
it's a 12 year contract. 😝
Seriously? This is the worst news for golf since Tiger took a 7 iron to the skull.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Get rid of Norman, Buck, Pavin and the others. Just KEEP the hot broad in the short skirt, let her handle all commentary NAKED next year, and I say give Fox a 100 year contract. That would work for me.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
And while we are at it, hire Paulina Gretzky next year for player interviews. Life would be grand at the U.S. Open.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Gatorphan;n238046 said:
Oosthuizen was plus 7 in round one. He worked his way back to -4 and a tie for the lead. Incredible!

Shows all of us what can happen when a pro doesn't quit (cough cough Eldrick).

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
DJ thinking about how much coke he could buy with a win...major choke job at a major.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So happy for Jordan but I really like DJ as well. Sucks so bad.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
images

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We might be seeing the emergence of another golfing great folks. Speith is only going to get better as he gains more experience.

Certainly one of the most bizarre endings to a major I've ever seen.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As much as I hated the venue and the broadcast. The tourney still delivered. US golf has a bright future with DJ, Speith, and Horschel. I'm willing to bet every one of these guys idolized TW.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Curt Menefee too? Where's Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long? What a craptastic telecast.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n237720 said:
Originally posted by itsgr82bag8r View Post

The USGA isn't interested in having perfectly soft, deep green & manicured surfaces. This is THE national championship tournament of the US. It's supposed to be the toughest test of golf all year. This isn't the tournament where you'll typically find the average weekly PGA Tour stop looking course.

That makes it ok to have bumpy greens? Plenty of courses manage to have great difficulty and appearance. And why do we want a course that mimics a European course for the U.S. Open?

It's not so much that the greens are "bumpy", it's that they have a couple different types of grass in them. This isn't an unusual thing in most courses across America. Hell, some of the Bermuda greens on courses close to the water can have surfaces that demand more green reading ability that what the pros routinely play on. Is that such a bad thing? Not to me. This tourney isn't always played on the ideal "picture-perfect" manicured course. In fact, that's more of a recent trend than historical one. Did you notice last year at Pinehurst #2? It's natural condition was far from what you'd call a typical tour stop course. This course is a further departure from the type of course people have been spoiled with playing & seeing on TV every week.

This article, written BEFORE the tournament was even played, might help you see what the USGA is moving towards, on purpose. I think it's a good thing. Of course, I love it when only a few pros can manage the skill to actually beat the course by finishing under par. That certainly makes the cream rise to the top.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
i think the biggest gripe is consistency from one green to the next, as far as speed goes. It's very difficult to putt well with inconsistent greens. I'm sure the dry weather we've had out here over this year added to the tough conditions of the course, as well as the greens.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n238373 said:
It's not so much that the greens are "bumpy", it's that they have a couple different types of grass in them. This isn't an unusual thing in most courses across America. Hell, some of the Bermuda greens on courses close to the water can have surfaces that demand more green reading ability that what the pros routinely play on. Is that such a bad thing? Not to me. This tourney isn't always played on the ideal "picture-perfect" manicured course. In fact, that's more of a recent trend than historical one. Did you notice last year at Pinehurst #2? It's natural condition was far from what you'd call a typical tour stop course. This course is a further departure from the type of course people have been spoiled with playing & seeing on TV every week.

This article, written BEFORE the tournament was even played, might help you see what the USGA is moving towards, on purpose. I think it's a good thing. Of course, I love it when only a few pros can manage the skill to actually beat the course by finishing under par. That certainly makes the cream rise to the top.

Respectfully disagree...there were multiple players that would yell "get lucky" after a shot. This course took skill out of it and added LUCK. That course had zero business hosting a US Open. And if they are moving towards XYZ like you say...this course was picked a long time ago...before they were moving in that direction. Something doesn't add up. Speith DOUBLE BOGEYED the 17th and still won. That screams "bad course" to me. But that is just my opinion.

And FOX made a mockery of golf on TV. It was a total disaster.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n238394 said:
Respectfully disagree...there were multiple players that would yell "get lucky" after a shot. This course took skill out of it and added LUCK. That course had zero business hosting a US Open. And if they are moving towards XYZ like you say...this course was picked a long time ago...before they were moving in that direction. Something doesn't add up. Speith DOUBLE BOGEYED the 17th and still won. That screams "bad course" to me. But that is just my opinion.

Tiger could have gotten a tredecuple bogey on the 17th hole of Pebble Beach and still won by 2 shots in 2000...does that make that course bad?

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n238394 said:
Originally posted by itsgr82bag8r View Post

That's fine, and many others agree with you. I don't.

However, you're trying to mix two completley differnt issues in that post. The USGA choice of venue is not the same as FOX's coverage.

The guy's yelling "get lucky" needed luck to manage what the course threw at them. Luckily, luck had nothing to do with the winner, or anyone in the top 10 for that matter. Skill ultimately rose to the top, as it should.

Also every round has it's share of breaks, good & bad. If you get more good rather than bad, then you "got lucky". Ironically, those who finish at the top had to depend less on "luck" than those who are complaining. Spieth's ability to win DESPITE suffering a DB speaks more to his composure rather than a dig at the course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.