US Open

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n238404 said:
Tiger could have gotten a tredecuple bogey on the 17th hole of Pebble Beach and still won by 2 shots in 2000...does that make that course bad?

Who said it does? Can we at least stay in context? Tiger was playing some of the best golf of all time.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n238433 said:
That's fine, and many others agree with you. I don't.

However, you're trying to mix two completley differnt issues in that post. The USGA choice of venue is not the same as FOX's coverage.

The guy's yelling "get lucky" needed luck to manage what the course threw at them. Luckily, luck had nothing to do with the winner, or anyone in the top 10 for that matter. Skill ultimately rose to the top, as it should.

Also every round has it's share of breaks, good & bad. If you get more good rather than bad, then you "got lucky". Ironically, those who finish at the top had to depend less on "luck" than those who are complaining. Spieth's ability to win DESPITE suffering a DB speaks more to his composure rather than a dig at the course.

Hence the word "AND"...seriously? I would think the whole "and" part gave that away. Course sucked AND the telecast sucked. Both the USGA AND FOX.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/6/19/8815179/jordan-spieth-us-open-score-chambers-bay-friday
[h=2]Jordan Spieth calls No. 18 'dumbest hole I've ever played in my life'[/h]
Sounds like a dig to me.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n238448 said:
Originally posted by itsgr82bag8r View Post

That's fine, and many others agree with you. I don't.

However, you're trying to mix two completley differnt issues in that post. The USGA choice of venue is not the same as FOX's coverage.

The guy's yelling "get lucky" needed luck to manage what the course threw at them. Luckily, luck had nothing to do with the winner, or anyone in the top 10 for that matter. Skill ultimately rose to the top, as it should.

Also every round has it's share of breaks, good & bad. If you get more good rather than bad, then you "got lucky". Ironically, those who finish at the top had to depend less on "luck" than those who are complaining. Spieth's ability to win DESPITE suffering a DB speaks more to his composure rather than a dig at the course.

Hence the word "AND"...seriously? I would think the whole "and" part gave that away. Course sucked AND the telecast sucked. Both the USGA AND FOX.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/6/...ers-bay-friday
Jordan Spieth calls No. 18 'dumbest hole I've ever played in my life'

Sounds like a dig to me.

So him being a little miffed about taking a double bogey on a hole that played both as a par 4 and a par 5 makes your point? :lol:

Hardly.

He didn't seem so upset by stoning his second to within 20' and 2 putting for birdie yesterday, did he?

The course was dry, but did it's job. You're rediculous post about the course taking skill out of the equation is unbelieveably naive. Seriously? Took the skill OUT? :lol:

If the conditions & course took skill out of the equation then Tiger Woods would have won.

:facepalm:

..and I thought FOX wasn't up to the task either, although Norman, Pavin & other pros were a great addition. At least they know WTF they're talking about.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n238457 said:
So him being a little miffed about taking a double bogey on a hole that played both as a par 4 and a par 5 makes your point? :lol:

Hardly.

He didn't seem so upset by stoning his second to within 20' and 2 putting for birdie yesterday, did he?

The course was dry, but did it's job. You're rediculous post about the course taking skill out of the equation is unbelieveably naive. Seriously? Took the skill OUT? :lol:

If the conditions & course took skill out of the equation then Tiger Woods would have won.

..and I thought FOX wasn't up to the task either, although Norman, Pavin & other pros were a great addition. At least they know WTF they're talking about.

Rediculous? You couldn't have said it any better...lol. A bunch of players said the course sucked. Gary Player? How about him? LOL.

I've never seen so many complain...maybe the one year that they had to water the greens because it was like putting on hardwood floors(I forgot the year but it was a joke).

Let's just agree to disagree.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with TRex. Never heard so many players blast the conditions. When you have players that are glad they missed the cut at a major, you know it's f*cked up.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jack once said anytime he walked into the clubhouse and others were complaining about the greens he knew he could write them off right away for any challenge to him.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n238471 said:
Originally posted by itsgr82bag8r View Post

Hardly.

Rediculous? You couldn't have said it any better...lol. A bunch of players said the course sucked. Gary Player? How about him? LOL.

I've never seen so many complain...maybe the one year that they had to water the greens because it was like putting on hardwood floors(I forgot the year but it was a joke).

Let's just agree to disagree.

Spelling smack? Really?

...and yes, we'll agree to disagree.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Most of the time, if y'all remember, the US Open venue catches a boatload of criticism from the various pros and announcers. Last year it was Pinehurst for their minimalist re-design and inverted cup greens with all the runoff. Bethpage Black caught a ton of flack. Merion (I think) with all their burnt-out greens. Pebble Beach was railed on. The more conventional courses caught a lot of crap because the USGA had the rough too high. It goes on and on.

Personally, I really liked the venue and great topograghy. IF the greens were a consistent strain of grass, there would be far fewer complaints. That was the problem.

Course is less than 10 yrs old. If they can have consistent greens, USGA will be back there within 10 years. Too compelling a course with magnificent vistas to not return.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
NoGaGator;n238510 said:
Most of the time, if y'all remember, the US Open venue catches a boatload of criticism from the various pros and announcers. Last year it was Pinehurst for their minimalist re-design and inverted cup greens with all the runoff. Bethpage Black caught a ton of flack. Merion (I think) with all their burnt-out greens. Pebble Beach was railed on. The more conventional courses caught a lot of crap because the USGA had the rough too high. It goes on and on.

Personally, I really liked the venue and great topograghy. IF the greens were a consistent strain of grass, there would be far fewer complaints. That was the problem.

Course is less than 10 yrs old. If they can have consistent greens, USGA will be back there within 10 years. Too compelling a course with magnificent vistas to not return.

I don't disagree that the US Open usually catches SOME criticism just not that much. That course was a dump and all that was missing was a windmill on 18. I think the Open will be back on the west coast for advertising reason(prime time money) but not at that quarry.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n238544 said:
He said windmill. :lol:

I know! It's simply a miracle that the USGA has managed to successfully put this tournament on for the last 115 years without T REX to furnish his guidance. :facepalm:

What a joke.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n238548 said:
I know! It's simply a miracle that the USGA has managed to successfully put this tournament on for the last 115 years without T REX to furnish his guidance. :facepalm:

What a joke.

The joke was the course. :dance:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n238446 said:
Who said it does? Can we at least stay in context? Tiger was playing some of the best golf of all time.
Are you ****ing serious? You did...i even put it in bold the first time i quoted you but you seemed to have conveniently left that part out :lmao:

T REX;n238394 said:
Respectfully disagree...there were multiple players that would yell "get lucky" after a shot. This course took skill out of it and added LUCK. That course had zero business hosting a US Open. And if they are moving towards XYZ like you say...this course was picked a long time ago...before they were moving in that direction. Something doesn't add up. Speith DOUBLE BOGEYED the 17th and still won. That screams "bad course" to me. But that is just my opinion.

And FOX made a mockery of golf on TV. It was a total disaster.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n238572 said:
Originally posted by MJMGator View Post

The joke was the course. :dance:

:exactly:

Prepare for more jokes when the last major, the PGA, is played this year then. :lol:

Maybe you guy's just need to get a new USGA secret decoder ring!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I heard from a co-worker who went over the weekend that it's not the best designed course for the spectator. Not a lot of opportunities to get close and the marshall's were sticklers for the rules about where folks could sit and watch. He said he wouldn't go back unless they changed some things. So on top of getting the greens figured out, they need to figure out the spectator issue as well if they want to host another big tournament there.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n239219 said:
I heard from a co-worker who went over the weekend that it's not the best designed course for the spectator. Not a lot of opportunities to get close and the marshall's were sticklers for the rules about where folks could sit and watch. He said he wouldn't go back unless they changed some things. So on top of getting the greens figured out, they need to figure out the spectator issue as well if they want to host another big tournament there.

I guess he wants to ban the Open from classic places like Pebble Beach then. In truth, with very few notable exceptions, most Open courses have limited viewing areas & tend to congregate the masses in areas that are easily accessible & require the least amount of play interruption. Courses like Pebble Beach, Chambers Bay, Whistling Straits (where the PGA is to be held later this year) and the Kiawah Ocean Course, just to name a few that host pro tour events, all have limited spectator viewing areas.

The Masters at Augusta is a different beast all together. It's designed to be intimate between player & "Patron". Not so much on other venues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.