UT gets off cheap -- 2.5 mil

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
ESPN reports that UT got off cheap. Paid the women 2.48 M and admitted no negligence. I guess they were only "extremely careless".

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What an effing joke. Shame on the females for accepting this or was there really no merit?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sports suppose to be an escape from politics, but here again we've lost the truth to holding perps
to accountability.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Shame on the females for accepting this or was there really no merit?

Merit or not, when given the choice of cash to shut up and go away, or to have many more months of your name in the public arena for being used in that environment, many will want it to just go away and will accept the cash as a way to calm their sense of being violated. It's easy for us who are not the victims to stand and demand TN be accountable, but for the victims taking such a stand will have a heavier toll. I respect the women's decision, but wish to hell that UT was held accountable not for civil damages to individuals (that could accept payments and go away) but to society for creating such an environment, where criminal charges would be in effect.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Merit or not, when given the choice of cash to shut up and go away, or to have many more months of your name in the public arena for being used in that environment, many will want it to just go away and will accept the cash as a way to calm their sense of being violated. It's easy for us who are not the victims to stand and demand TN be accountable, but for the victims taking such a stand will have a heavier toll. I respect the women's decision, but wish to hell that UT was held accountable not for civil damages to individuals (that could accept payments and go away) but to society for creating such an environment, where criminal charges would be in effect.
You're entitled to your opinion but I don't see it the same way. If they were making a point that the school should be held accountable, then I just think taking the hush money was weak.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I don't think it was an exercise in compensation. I believe it genuinely started as an attempt to expose and change the culture. Accepting the money and gyrations that TN will go thru with following this simply brings it to a close.

I'm not a lawyer in any way, but my understanding is this was not a criminal case which the state could prosecute without the victims coming out more, it was a civil suit. Those are often resolved with compensation and certain actions by those 'accountable'. I'm with you, I think this was weak as sht and TN is getting out of it way too easy. I just sympathize with the victims having been thru enough, and they are the only ones in a position to press it further....and they have chosen not to.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The wrongness of rape is certainly not connected to $ payment-for rape victims : so this action of victims
accepting a payday clashes with so many rape victims' claims that rape has ruined their lives, thereby
dispelling the legal processes of changing the statute of limitations to "lifetime" and a high # of years in
prison as punishment. UT, the lawyers involved and these victims have harmed the illegal status of rape.

This is just sad all way around - beginning with the act of rape onward.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nailed it!

CmsdTsnUcAAd6aF.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What an effing joke. Shame on the females for accepting this or was there really no merit?

Couldn't agree more. Either way, it only adds to the speculation that all of these athlete related cases are simply about a payday. Undoubtedly hinders the real victims from getting justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.