Utah scheduled for 2022 and 2023

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
The state owned liquor stores are pretty well stocked.

As they have the monopoly on alcohol they definitely don't care about appearances. They remind me of smash and dent grocery stores I went to as a kid.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I have been in SLC twice this year, once in Feb for a ski trip out of Park City and in May on business. Both times it was buy a drink, buy food. The beer was watered down unless it was in a can.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Salt lake city is a cool town. Gonna try to get there.

It's an interesting mix of the Mormon/religious element and the outdoorsy/hippy element. You see more of the second one but feel more influence from the first. My experience, anyway. The device they use in the bars to pour shots into mixed drinks is unique, I've never seen it before.

Salt Lake is where we go skiing; I told my wife, Hey I know of a great place to stay! We really like Salt Lake and I'm looking forward to this.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
It's an interesting mix of the Mormon/religious element and the outdoorsy/hippy element. You see more of the second one but feel more influence from the first. My experience, anyway. The device they use in the bars to pour shots into mixed drinks is unique, I've never seen it before.

Salt Lake is where we go skiing; I told my wife, Hey I know of a great place to stay! We really like Salt Lake and I'm looking forward to this.
If I’m stationed on the west coast next, might try to make it...

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
This is coming....Fewer FCS and more P5 and Top Div-1.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I don't get this one bit. Why load up the schedule (we’re at A&M in 22) when simply winning the SEC pretty much guarantees us a spot in the playoff. With this add, we’re going to play Utah, USF, FSU, LSU at A&M and our regular games against the east. That’s pretty damn tough for no reason.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m intrigued by this...Utah is a good place to visit. I’ll for sure go to Colorado but this may be on the list as well

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don't get this one bit. Why load up the schedule (we’re at A&M in 22) when simply winning the SEC pretty much guarantees us a spot in the playoff. With this add, we’re going to play Utah, USF, FSU, LSU at A&M and our regular games against the east. That’s pretty damn tough for no reason.

That's the practicality element that gets missed in these discussions. It all seems great until an unnecessary trip to the Carrier Dome costs you an undefeated season and chance at a national title. I'm ok with it because it's not a giant P5 team, and is one we should be able to beat. But we are in fact adding to our schedule that could also feature a revitalized Usf and fsu program by then, in addition to our normal SEC slate. I know some hate the cupcakes, but that's a lot. We aren't an Aub/Ala/ut type team whose biggest rival is in conference and thus have to get creative in OOC scheduling. Doesn't mean we can't or definitely shouldn't, but it is adding a needless risk, imo.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
An AD who’s goal is to win national titles, doesn’t load up the OOC schedule when you already have an annual game with FSU and he certainly doesn’t do it when the West rotation includes Auburn, A&M or Bama. Just doesn’t make sense. We did it this year and are lucky that both Miami and FSU are down. Utah is a top of the conference PAC 12 team. Just doesn’t seem like a strategy for success to me.

61_Shasta

Sep 27, 2019
I have been in SLC twice this year, once in Feb for a ski trip out of Park City and in May on business. Both times it was buy a drink, buy food. The beer was watered down unless it was in a can.

You ran into one of the quirks of Utah liquor laws that is being phased out and hopefully will be gone by the time you guys come here. The state treats bars and restaurants differently. Restaurants are currently limited to serving 3.2 alcohol by weight (4.0 alcohol by volume) and only allowed to serve one drink after the customer has "stated an intent to dine". After that, yes, you have to order food to have subsequent drinks.

However, a bar is a bar is a bar even in Utah. Hopefully a lot of these laws are changed but if you visit in the meantime, just look for the sign at or near the front door indicating that the premises are licensed as a bar, not a restaurant. Yeah, that law is kind of stupid too but at least you can have all of the cocktails you want without any food and the beer is full strength, not 3.2.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
However, a bar is a bar is a bar even in Utah.
61 shasta is very cool. I love all things 60s-ish.

Actually want one of those old school folding tent types though. very minimalist.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
You ran into one of the quirks of Utah liquor laws that is being phased out and hopefully will be gone by the time you guys come here. The state treats bars and restaurants differently. Restaurants are currently limited to serving 3.2 alcohol by weight (4.0 alcohol by volume) and only allowed to serve one drink after the customer has "stated an intent to dine". After that, yes, you have to order food to have subsequent drinks.

However, a bar is a bar is a bar even in Utah. Hopefully a lot of these laws are changed but if you visit in the meantime, just look for the sign at or near the front door indicating that the premises are licensed as a bar, not a restaurant. Yeah, that law is kind of stupid too but at least you can have all of the cocktails you want without any food and the beer is full strength, not 3.2.
Yeah I think I saw the difference between the two trips. First trip in Park City we hit the No Name Saloon. It was the watered down beer/order food place. Second trip my boss took me to a brewery in SLC and their beer was full strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb