Valentines Day Massacre

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
In the early 80’s a group of Marines were sent to a veterans nursing home (can’t remember if it was at a VA facility) in Gainesville to mingle with the vets on Veterans Day. We ended smuggling about 4 of them out and took them to that ABC for several hours of day drinking. The stories they told were legendary and that entire day was epic.
Great story... here's another Marine vet story for you. When I was a 2LT in Korea, we did a "terrain walk" of the Incheon landings. When we were on the top of the hill with the MacArthur statue, there was a group of old guys, one of whom was Chesty Puller's Regimental Sergeant Major for the landings and he told the story about MacArthur giving Puller the Silver Star... let's just say Chesty's opinion wasn't very flattering of MacArthur. ;) Much beer and soju were consumed on that day.

PS Were you a "Marine 1" guy at some point?

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Great story... here's another Marine vet story for you. When I was a 2LT in Korea, we did a "terrain walk" of the Incheon landings. When we were on the top of the hill with the MacArthur statue, there was a group of old guys, one of whom was Chesty Puller's Regimental Sergeant Major for the landings and he told the story about MacArthur giving Puller the Silver Star... let's just say Chesty's opinion wasn't very flattering of MacArthur. ;) Much beer and soju were consumed on that day.

PS Were you a "Marine 1" guy at some point?

Yes my dad, myself and my younger brother were all Marines. My Dad was at the enlisted club the night of Chesty’s retirement ceremony where he bolted from the officers club to drink with the enlisted men.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yes my dad, myself and my younger brother were all Marines. My Dad was at the enlisted club the night of Chesty’s retirement ceremony where he bolted from the officers club to drink with the enlisted men.

The wife and I just watched The Pacific on HBO and all I can say is that Basilone and Puller were a double handful of badassery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.