Virginia Beach

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AugustaGator, May 31, 2019.

1. Gator By Marriage

Gator By Marriage A convert to Gatorism
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,874
    Ratings:
    +4,998 / -76
    I mentioned this story once before. My mom grew up in a town in rural Wisconsin. The farm boys in high school all drove pick up trucks. In every truck was a rifle rack with some sort of long gun either for hunting or shooting varmints. She claimed that not only did no one ever bring a gun into the building, it would never have crossed anyone’s mind to do so. The problem is not the guns, it’s us. Whenever one of these incidents happens, it’s always “ban guns” or “we need new legislation.” Why is it never “why the f are we shooting each other?” I’m not claiming to know the answer, but I’m pretty sure it’s not “because we can.”

• GatorAlways

GatorAlways Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $335
      Ratings:
      +538 / -271
      Um. Guns are not in many places right now, due to bad rules or legislation.

Remove gun-free zones, and more guns will be in those places. Seems pretty straightforward.

Also, I’m sure that if people were allowed to carry in more places - at work, for example, there would be more sales of handguns to people as they look to exercise their right to be armed in these places. People that own exclusively “long guns” would be much more inclined to add a handgun.

This is a sensible policy option - we would be trying something that isn’t so-called “gun control”, is keeping with the Second Amendment, and examining the results of this policy over the short and long term.

• GatorAlways

Oxbucks:
        $335
        Ratings:
        +538 / -271
        Mockery? My God, man. You all are impossible. If I actually advance a suggestion, I’m “fake”. Seems like i’m In the Kobayashi Maru scenario. (reference!)

I’m open to a sensible remove of gun restrictions - so called “gun-free” zones - in order to combat this type of thing happening. Do you have other suggestions you’re willing to advance? I’d be interested in the discussion.

Doesn’t seem like you are willing. That’s unfortunate.

• GatorAlways

Oxbucks:
        $335
        Ratings:
        +538 / -271
        So, in your parlance, I’m “thinking” now. Removal of gun-free zones introduces more of what you talk about above. More CCW holders in areas where these attacks are likely.

Seems like a sensible policy option. We (as a society) would be at least trying to combat a problem, instead of paying lip service and ignoring it.

I’d be interested in seeing the results of this change.

• diehardg8r

diehardg8r Junior Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,820
        Ratings:
        +3,702 / -112
        In order to protect that right? I'm guessing and will soon be proven to be right that this guy was a confrontational, in your face dude with all kinds of issues and had previous altercations with fellow employees. I am also guessing he was told his position was being terminated and he was told to resign or be fired. I'm sure he was difficult to fire for several reasons, one of which being he was a city employee and i think you can guess the other one.

If we were really protecting the original intent of the second amendment the "gun free zones" would be laughed off the face of the planet. I don't have any doubt that if someone with a CWP had been in that building less people would have been killed. But since it's a "gun free zone" he knew he had fish in a barrel. Everytime someone gets killed by a drunk driver or a distracted driver using a cell phone, which amendments are being protected?

• URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $4,557
        Ratings:
        +14,699 / -278
        Well you have a clear history on this subject soooooo

yes you're mocking don't try to change that.

I'm not so sure you really are though.
        You pay lip service to it, but you're as dug in as anyone else here, at the end of the day.

not with you. I've been down that road before.

• Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member
        2018 Pick 'Em Champ

Oxbucks:
        $3,765
        Ratings:
        +3,311 / -40
        As an ex county employee I can agree it is difficult to be fired from one of these positions. In our department I only saw 2 people fired in 25 years. More often than not they would do things to make you quit knowing how difficult it was to fire someone from a government job. Give the man every piece of chit job that comes along, put him in the worst sections of town, repromand him for anything and everything, skip over promotions and raises, deny vacation days and many other ways.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $7,343
        Ratings:
        +15,696 / -141
        The reason this story has already faded into nothing is that the shooter used pistols instead of a long gun. Just like the VT shooter and many other psychos that have gone on rampages. For some reason, liberals keep wanting to blame this sort of thing on "assault rifles." And every time somebody shoots up a place with an AR or similar weapon, all the cries for "common sense" gun control are instantly shouted from the rooftops....i.e. if we just banned these crazy "military style" rifles we'd be safe from these shootings. And every time, when conservatives point out that banning those weapons won't prevent these sort of attacks, they are labeled as uncaring cavemen who love their guns more than the lives of children or some other such emotional plea.

Check out the following chart
        [​IMG]

It is really tempting to look at the red lines dealing with gun-related homicides. Personally I put this in the same drawer as drowning statistics. What I mean by that is a warm place on the water where people also have lots of swimming pools is going to have lots of drowning deaths compared to a place like Siberia. We have lots of guns in the US so of course we are going to have a lot more homicides committed with guns than a place that doesn't have many guns. IF you really want to get into the stats farther, you have to account for homicides that would have taken place anyway even if guns weren't available....in other words if some guy wants to kill his wife or some gang wants to kill some rival gang member, often times the crime will still happen even if no gun is present. But all that is beside the main point of the graph IMO.

To me, the most telling part of the graph is that the green bar (representing homicides not related to guns) is still something like 5-6 TIMES HIGHER IN THE US compared to the UK and Japan. Explain THAT one. When you explain why we are over 500% more likely to kill each other in this country, you'll be on the real path to understanding what the actual problem is. Until then, just keep being intellectually lazy and blaming the gun.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Your mother makes me sammiches
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $41,188
          Ratings:
          +65,822 / -2,971
          Probably not.

But you might be perhaps not reacting to your emotions first. Moving from feeling to thinking isnt an overnight thing.

Is there a problem? Of course. We have a problem with heroin and fentanyl deaths too. Banning didnt help.

• Spurdog98

Spurdog98 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $877
            Ratings:
            +878 / -44
            As a matter of fact in the war on drugs we've been told that decriminalizing is the way to go.

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $5,222
              Ratings:
              +8,100 / -88
            • Spurdog98

Oxbucks:
              $877
              Ratings:
              +878 / -44
              I haven't seen anything in the media about this guy......Nada. I mean no articles about what a great employee he was or how well he got along with co-workers, and his pleasant disposition.................nothing. As a matter of fact nothing even to the contrary. It's as if they've all been told to keep quite and NO investigative journalism either. I mean, if you were a local journalist wouldn't you be trying to investigate or get some scoop about this dude and break open a story? I mean...........nothing!

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $5,222
                Ratings:
                +8,100 / -88

So you mean there aren't a plethora of articles detailing his browsing history, political party affiliation, what kind of flags hung in his room, or what kind of diet he was on?

The media is probably just busy with some Trump scandal to bother with such pithy details.

• Spurdog98

Oxbucks:
                  $877
                  Ratings:
                  +878 / -44
                  Nailed it.

• AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $4,795
                  Ratings:
                  +7,126 / -217
                  Her logic

• AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $4,795
                  Ratings:
                  +7,126 / -217
                  This has been suggested here many times over the last 20 years

• Gator By Marriage

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $4,874
                  Ratings:
                  +4,998 / -76
                  I'm willing to give Admiral Kirk a crack at solving the problem. After all he was the only cadet to ever successfully solve the Kobayashi Maru scenario.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $8,712
                  Ratings:
                  +15,021 / -210
                  The official announcement that there would be no notoriety for "this guy". That gag order dampens investigative digging.

I was thinking: if thousands were encouraged to buy a gun and take effective kill-shot training, then many more law-abiding gun-toting citizens would outnumber gun-toting criminals and those "go-wrong" brains out there.??

• Gator By Marriage

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $4,874
                  Ratings:
                  +4,998 / -76
                  Kinda surprised by this. In non-gun relateds we're losing to the Czechs and barely holding off the Finns, Hungarians, and South Koreans? We used to dominate in this category! Guess the rest of the world is catching up.

• Spurdog98

Oxbucks:
                  $877
                  Ratings:
                  +878 / -44
                  Thats what the city does when they want to avoid any kind of possible law suit or simply want to cover up what was going on with this guy. Probably someone that gave off all sorts of red flags and they ignored............until he made them pay attention.