cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is related to the Christmas Eve Brunch we hosted. I hadn't had any Vodka in probably thirty years (I'm a beer guy), so when shopping at the liquor store I wanted to avoid the brands I remembered from way back. Taaka and Smirnoff were around, but I recall them smelling like a doctor's office and tasting kinda harsh if you used anymore than a cap full with your mixer. I settled on Absolut, as I'd seen it used at get togethers. Turned out to be a good choice as the guests really enjoyed the Bloody Mary's with it, I had a Screw Driver that I mixed on the strong side, but it was still pretty smooth (these things could easily get habit-forming if I'm not careful!).

Not being up on the different Vodka brands, I was wondering what makes one a "top shelf?" I Googled the top brands and Absolut was a top ten of the sight I looked at. Ketel got higher marks as well, but there were several I'd never heard of and a lot of the flavored Vodkas were held in high regard. Also, there were French, Swedish, and other European Vodkas in abundance along with those from Russia/USSR. I guess what I'm soliciting from the Chatter crowd is what are your favorite brands and/or flavors and why so? Also, what drinks do you like it in? At 58 and still an old redneck, I figure it isn't too late to add a little culture to my menu of libations! Thanks!

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
This is related to the Christmas Eve Brunch we hosted. I hadn't had any Vodka in probably thirty years (I'm a beer guy), so when shopping at the liquor store I wanted to avoid the brands I remembered from way back. Taaka and Smirnoff were around, but I recall them smelling like a doctor's office and tasting kinda harsh if you used anymore than a cap full with your mixer. I settled on Absolut, as I'd seen it used at get togethers. Turned out to be a good choice as the guests really enjoyed the Bloody Mary's with it, I had a Screw Driver that I mixed on the strong side, but it was still pretty smooth (these things could easily get habit-forming if I'm not careful!).

Not being up on the different Vodka brands, I was wondering what makes one a "top shelf?" I Googled the top brands and Absolut was a top ten of the sight I looked at. Ketel got higher marks as well, but there were several I'd never heard of and a lot of the flavored Vodkas were held in high regard. Also, there were French, Swedish, and other European Vodkas in abundance along with those from Russia/USSR. I guess what I'm soliciting from the Chatter crowd is what are your favorite brands and/or flavors and why so? Also, what drinks do you like it in? At 58 and still an old redneck, I figure it isn't too late to add a little culture to my menu of libations! Thanks!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Like anything with me, it's all personal preference and what tastes good to YOU. I've talked endlessly here about Russian Standard because for me, it tastes clean and good with no weird after taste and mixes great with anything from tonic to whatever you want to straight cold shot. Russian Standard and Stoli are what my Russian friends drink when outside of Russia. Also, Russian Standard is CHEAP. The base model in the line is simply "Russian Standard" and it's distilled and filtered 4 times. next is "RS Gold" which is same process, but with some flavors in it that are really nice. Next up is "RS Platinum" that is distilled and filtered even more, and while it is noticeable over the base, you don't really need to step up. Also, it is MUCH cheaper to go ahead and buy the 1.75L bottle over the 750ml one on a price/ml basis.

Tastes great, price is cheap, Russians actually drink it outside of Russia (that and Stoli).

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
Be glad to give you some insight on my favorite, since you do such a good job giving us analysis of the previous game. Nice work.
My favorite is Grey Goose. Such a smooth feeling going down. Usually drink it over ice, no mixer. Using a mixer with Grey Goose borders on criminality. Some people rim the glass with lemon or lime. That’s ok if that is what floats your boat. Enjoy!!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I drank Stoli for years. We have a 1.75 of Tito's in our freezer at all times. Coincidentally, there's also a small bottle of Stoli. My Uncle had this at his house...

Fog Point Vodka | Hangar One

A little over the top for me but Vodka drinkers are really picky(IMHO).

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Honestly, i tried some last year with grapefruit juice and other stuff and it just didn't tighten my bolts.........

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
Tito’s. $30 a handle worst case. Great vodka. Made from corn. Been sloppy drunk hammered on it and felt right as rain the next day.

Keep it simple. Add diet 7-up or diet ginger-ale to it. Goes down like water. Perfect drink for any occasion.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Tito’s. $30 a handle worst case. Great vodka. Made from corn. Been sloppy drunk hammered on it and felt right as rain the next day.

Keep it simple. Add diet 7-up or diet ginger-ale to it. Goes down like water. Perfect drink for any occasion.
Mountain Dew good with vodka too...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stoli chilled, straight up. Patron's even better straight up.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All comes down to the subtleties of what you enjoy.

There is nothing special about Tito’s from a distillation view point. They essentially buy bulk produced pure corn ethanol and filter it. But I think the do a good job filtering it.
Tito’s vodka lawsuit over ‘handmade’ settled

That Russian Standard is fantastic. My personal favorite is Chopin potato vodka:
chopin-potato-vodka-poland-10448759.jpg

Also had some Effin Vodka the other day and it was great! Plus the name is fantastic.
100374_Effen-Vodka-Original-07L-40-Vol_4.jpg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All comes down to the subtleties of what you enjoy.

There is nothing special about Tito’s from a distillation view point. They essentially buy bulk produced pure corn ethanol and filter it. But I think the do a good job filtering it.
Tito’s vodka lawsuit over ‘handmade’ settled

That Russian Standard is fantastic. My personal favorite is Chopin potato vodka:
chopin-potato-vodka-poland-10448759.jpg

Also had some Effin Vodka the other day and it was great! Plus the name is fantastic.
100374_Effen-Vodka-Original-07L-40-Vol_4.jpg
Thanks Brad. You seem to always be on the cutting edge of all things alcohol. The two examples you give are unknown to me. About forty years ago I recall drinking too much Taaka or Smirnoff at a post high school soirée. I think I got it confused with your high end stuff because I distinctly remember me and a couple of my hungover running buddies discussing that Effen sh!t we guzzled the night before. Who knew?

But seriously, a little local questioning confirmed what several of you suggested and that is that Stoli is the high water mark. And who wouldn't want to cut your Vodka with Mountain Dew as @Detroitgator suggests? Yahoo! I've tried the Dew with bourbon once (without success) but sounds like the lemon-lime essence would pair quite well.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks Brad. You seem to always be on the cutting edge of all things alcohol. The two examples you give are unknown to me. About forty years ago I recall drinking too much Taaka or Smirnoff at a post high school soirée. I think I got it confused with your high end stuff because I distinctly remember me and a couple of my hungover running buddies discussing that Effen sh!t we guzzled the night before. Who knew?

But seriously, a little local questioning confirmed what several of you suggested and that is that Stoli is the high water mark. And who wouldn't want to cut your Vodka with Mountain Dew as @Detroitgator suggests? Yahoo! I've tried the Dew with bourbon once (without success) but sounds like the lemon-lime essence would pair quite well.
A guy in Kentucky had me try it with Jim Beam and it was pretty tasty.

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017
new to this vodka discussion.....
i can drink some vodka, my preference is rocks with a lemon wedge.

tito’s, while very receptive to my preference in drinks is so bland that i tend to not appreciate it. also it’s not really a vodka because of it’s initial state. deep eddy, to me is equally the same.

my preference is a potato vodka in the name of luksusowa. great taste, super price and if you get more than a toe in the pool you’ll wake up quite ok the next day.

of course, if i had money to burn on tater juice then chopin would be the bottle of choice.

cheers!

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Winter means Gray Goose (kept in the freezer) with fresh squeezed local Satsuma oranges Cover. Yum.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Interestingly, I really dont drink that much. But when I do, I want it to be nice and something to enjoy. Plus I have a tendency to go a little overboard on things so I’ve tried to “master” all the common liquors, but only a few have really stuck. All the major booze types have a fascinating history so I find it fun to research them. But in the end, nice rums are my absolute favorite followed by nice vodka. As much as I try to enjoy the nice scotchs and bourbons... I could never fall in love with them. Plus they are so damned expensive. Tequila is another world that I couldn’t conquer. Gin is the next one on my list to go after.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Winter means Gray Goose (kept in the freezer) with fresh squeezed local Satsuma oranges Cover. Yum.
As luck would have it, we've got a couple of satsuma trees here on the farm. Never thought of juicing them before, but this sounds like a great use!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interestingly, I really dont drink that much. But when I do, I want it to be nice and something to enjoy. Plus I have a tendency to go a little overboard on things so I’ve tried to “master” all the common liquors, but only a few have really stuck. All the major booze types have a fascinating history so I find it fun to research them. But in the end, nice rums are my absolute favorite followed by nice vodka. As much as I try to enjoy the nice scotchs and bourbons... I could never fall in love with them. Plus they are so damned expensive. Tequila is another world that I couldn’t conquer. Gin is the next one on my list to go after.
I can appreciate your interest in the history of the spirits. Bad experiences early on (read as drinking too much of the rot gut varieties) steered me in the beer direction. I've only tried Scotch once and it was just awful. Never tried "good" bourbon, but want to try something upscale, at least beyond Ezra Brooks (which my granddaddy drank). Tried Tequila as a young man and liked it during consumption, but hated it the next morning. Woke up feeling like someone was standing on my shoulders hitting me in the head with an ax. Drinking it was like dating a bipolar woman. As noted, finally drinking a better grade of Vodka was enjoyable. Seems like the rule of thumb is that you can go cheap and get drunk (if that's the goal) and never enjoy the taste experience or find a better grade and enjoy it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I can appreciate your interest in the history of the spirits. Bad experiences early on (read as drinking too much of the rot gut varieties) steered me in the beer direction. I've only tried Scotch once and it was just awful. Never tried "good" bourbon, but want to try something upscale, at least beyond Ezra Brooks (which my granddaddy drank). Tried Tequila as a young man and liked it during consumption, but hated it the next morning. Woke up feeling like someone was standing on my shoulders hitting me in the head with an ax. Drinking it was like dating a bipolar woman. As noted, finally drinking a better grade of Vodka was enjoyable. Seems like the rule of thumb is that you can go cheap and get drunk (if that's the goal) and never enjoy the taste experience or find a better grade and enjoy it.
I’m with ya... as for “cheap”, all labels of Russian Standard line could be priced MUCH higher than their hipster douche competitors. ;)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
And no matter what your label, a gentleman puts a dead soldier on the floor... you never leave him on the battlefield

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator