Wake up your car: Pedal Commander

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I had known about these for years but recently bought one for the Audi. The concept is simple. Ever since all cars went to drive-by-wire 25 years ago or so (meaning the gas pedal is not actually connected to a cable running to the throttle on the engine), manufacturers have put a certain amount of "travel" in the pedal, probably for fuel economy reasons. Meaning your pedal often feels rather dead for the first 25% or so, or you really have to bear down on it to get some real power.

The Pedal Commander allows you to set whatever sensitivity you want on your pedal with four modes: eco (which actually makes the pedal deader than stock), city (more sensitive), sport (even more) and sport + (dangerously more). It doesn't add a single horsepower to any engine.

What it does is completely change the driving experience. The car "feels" like it's been fed another 50+ horsepower. You touch the pedal and the car just goes. In my turbocharged car, I've been driving around in Sport and it's completely erased any turbo lag issues.

You don't have to have a forced-induction car, however. They make these things for damn near every model out there, cars and trucks. Some of you should really consider picking one up, even at the arguably overpriced cost of $299. It just wakes up the car. Go on Amazon and read the reviews if you want more takes.

Pedal Commander | Throttle Response Controller

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I had known about these for years but recently bought one for the Audi. The concept is simple. Ever since all cars went to drive-by-wire 25 years ago or so (meaning the gas pedal is not actually connected to a cable running to the throttle on the engine), manufacturers have put a certain amount of "travel" in the pedal, probably for fuel economy reasons. Meaning your pedal often feels rather dead for the first 25% or so, or you really have to bear down on it to get some real power.

The Pedal Commander allows you to set whatever sensitivity you want on your pedal with four modes: eco (which actually makes the pedal deader than stock), city (more sensitive), sport (even more) and sport + (dangerously more). It doesn't add a single horsepower to any engine.

What it does is completely change the driving experience. The car "feels" like it's been fed another 50+ horsepower. You touch the pedal and the car just goes. In my turbocharged car, I've been driving around in Sport and it's completely erased any turbo lag issues.

You don't have to have a forced-induction car, however. They make these things for damn near every model out there, cars and trucks. Some of you should really consider picking one up, even at the arguably overpriced cost of $299. It just wakes up the car. Go on Amazon and read the reviews if you want more takes.

Pedal Commander | Throttle Response Controller
I've had one on my Raptor for 5 years. If I go Sport 4+, it's crazy sensitive. The Raptor literally leaps when you tap the gas because the throttle response is immediate.

To be clear to everyone, it has for base modes, and then each mode can be bumped up or down 4 levels.

It is NOT a tune and you can install it in 5 minutes. You just unplug the cable under your dash for the gas pedal, plug the Pedal Commander in, then replug the OEM cable into the backside of the Pedal Commander plug (the PC plug is basically an adapter with male on one side, female on the backside). It makes no modification to your tune or anything crazy. It's just simple and pretty f'n awesome.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I have an F150
:scoff:
If that's true, use some of your bailout money and buy one. It will wake up even the base model 140-HP V6 F150 (with roll-up windows and no tachometer) you bought used.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If that's true, use some of your bailout money and buy one. It will wake up even the base model 140-HP V6 F150 (with roll-up windows and no tachometer) you bought used.
It is pushing 400 hp right now :sadnanner:

Other problem is I have to use that bailout money to catch up on my wife's credit card habits :facepalm:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Let's get back on topic. Doug, you could even buy one of these for your 1998 Crown Victoria.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
There's also a HikeIt that does same thing. I have EFI Live on my truck, it'll let you change every parameter, Have to be real careful on a gas engine, way to easy to put holes in pistons leaning it out or putting too much timing in.
Jeep has superchips and I have throttle way too sensitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator