Was Mac smart?

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I have no idea if there is any merit to the premise of this thread, so I won't speculate.

We will have to see what the future holds. I have seen enough to think it should be pretty bright with Coach Mac.

I will say it was pretty disappointing to see the performance drop off so dramatically the second part of the season. The bowl performance was lackluster. Typically the best coaches more often than not do well in the bowl games.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was unaware we even had a game yesterday. I thought Coach of the Year had already conceded defeat when he started getting everybody ready for combines and the exciting Harris-Del Rio QB competition we'll be watching. Surprised he even had them play the game as it seemed to be a mere formality.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When we kick Michigan's ass in the 2017 opener at Jerry World, all will be forgiven, whatever needs to be. The D quit today, they finally said "**** it" with the Treon garbage on offense.

And if I'm still kicking I will be there. I have been but now for sure a Harbaugh hater. Want to see him get his azz handed to him in person.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard to blame VH3 when
  1. He knows he's the best offensive opportunity on the field at cornerback; and
  2. He's playing for draft position.
Without a couple of picks, including a pick-six, from Tabor or VH3, there was ZERO chance to win this game. So gamble? Yup.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
It's hard to blame VH3 when
  1. He knows he's the best offensive opportunity on the field at cornerback; and (You have to focus on your job not someone else's)
  2. He's playing for draft position. (I expect yesterday's performance to hurt his draft position)
Without a couple of picks, including a pick-six, from Tabor or VH3, there was ZERO chance to win this game. So gamble? Yup.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Very nonchalant approach to the bowl, no doubt about it. Like I said in another thread, as a fan I didn't like it but I understand what he's trying to accomplish. Time will tell whether his philosophy will work or not. Right or wrong, he'll start feeling some pressure to win next year...every week. He was playing with house money this year.

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just have to face the fact that we don't have a good team on the offensive side of the ball. Oline is full of first year starters - freshman at that. And we don't know if they're going to be any good - time will tell. Treon is a disaster and you have to face the facts that the backups - a 4 year player cut by Vandy and a walk-on scout team QB were worse. ST were horrible all season and I hope for a coaching change there.
Defense played great for 13 games. I'm not ready to dump Collins for one game but he's now under suspicion.

Regarding Treon and playing to his strengths. What strengths? Treon has shown to be fragile and given that there was nobody behind him I don't think running him would have been a good idea. Also he has shown a pretty low QB instinct and I honestly don't think he could effectively execute the read option. (did we even try?) There was no way to design an offense that Treon could effectively run anymore than they could design an offense that I could run.

As for Mac "giving up" on the rest of the season that's fairly myopic given all our other issues.

Say what you want about Treon's lack of QB skills but fragile? He's been getting pounded every game. Give him credit where credit is due.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Say what you want about Treon's lack of QB skills but fragile? He's been getting pounded every game. Give him credit where credit is due.
He's tiny so exposing him to more hits than he already would be in line for could have been a recipe for disaster.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Considering he was going against a top 10 defense I thought Treon played his best game as a Gator. He made one bad throw and our All World soon to go pro WR short armed a perfect TD pass on the first drive of the game.....
Yesterday was all about a bunch of defensive players trying to show off for NFL scouts just like the Sugar Bowl 3 years ago.....same result, they got embarrassed by an average at best offensive team who struggled mightily for most of the season against Big Ten defenses.

Harbaugh had less to work with at the beginning of this year than Mac....Looks like his players bought into his system more than ours bought into Mac's. I give Mac a pass on this because of the complete ineptness of offensive philosophy the last 5 years and an unexpected loss of a good QB.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Helluva coaching job yesterday! Can't wait to see what next year brings! Gosh! Golly! I'm doggone excited!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Considering he was going against a top 10 defense I thought Treon played his best game as a Gator. He made one bad throw and our All World soon to go pro WR short armed a perfect TD pass on the first drive of the game.....
Yesterday was all about a bunch of defensive players trying to show off for NFL scouts just like the Sugar Bowl 3 years ago.....same result, they got embarrassed by an average at best offensive team who struggled mightily for most of the season against Big Ten defenses.

Harbaugh had less to work with at the beginning of this year than Mac....Looks like his players bought into his system more than ours bought into Mac's. I give Mac a pass on this because of the complete ineptness of offensive philosophy the last 5 years and an unexpected loss of a good QB.
He may have started the season with less (that's debatable), but he sure didn't finish the season with less. Lack of a QBs and a PK doomed us late season,

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MAC made one major mistake in the leadup to this game - not giving another QB the start. I thought that he should have given his walk-n QBs all of the snaps in practice. Jacob Guy should have been the starter. The Gators have a very slim chance of winning a game with Treon at QB.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MAC made one major mistake in the leadup to this game - not giving another QB the start. I thought that he should have given his walk-n QBs all of the snaps in practice. Jacob Guy should have been the starter. The Gators have a very slim chance of winning a game with Treon at QB.
Not sure how anyone can say this. There's a reason they are walk-ones and Vandy rejects.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He may have started the season with less (that's debatable), but he sure didn't finish the season with less. Lack of a QBs and a PK doomed us late season,
In regards to QB he was lucky to get a grad transfer that made it through the season healthy which is a big reason I'd like Mac to go after a grad transfer regardless of how good Del Rio might be.
I think we had one hell of a better defense to start the year plus our recruiting class was much better than theirs, I think they finished 3-9 last year though and I would think their overall rating of players had to be much lower than our roster overall.
One area that was obvious that he did much better was over strength and conditioning....Their players actually look like big time CFB players.....about half of our guys do....that's what I meant about buying in and working with less.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
At least Grady saw the field. I'm not sure that would have been an option to give another one a start. They said a couple times yesterday the the backups were Grady and Callaway. The lack of options has always been our Achilles heel all season. I am sure Mac is licking his chops to get Del Rio, Franks, and Trask a look.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a fan of Mac but not so much endeared to his approach to the bowl. But then again, I'm a relic and many of my views are 20 years old or more. My opinion is clearly our team was not focused in terms of efficiently and consistently competing with the goal of defeating Michigan as the primary goal.

I think we moved the ball well enough in the first half to score more than a single TD (on a trick play no less). Much of it can be attributed to Treon and his legs, though he did make some good throws. However, his poor decision-making reared its head at a most inopportune time and our OL play was extremely poor yet again. Goolsby's drop of what may have been one of Treon's better throws this season summed up, to me, our lack of focus offensively.

Defensively, I think we played with more aggression (front seven) than we did proper technique and discipline. Brantley and others on the DL got way too far upfield too often trying to make a big play and the result was leaving an unprotected gap that the Wolverine backs could read and exploit. Likewise with the LBs. Davis (prior to his stinger) and Morrison took too many false steps that allowed them to get penned by a backside OL, leaving a wide cutback lane that, again, the UM RBs easily found and gashed us with. The secondary play, for the most part, just plain stunk. Safety play, or lack thereof, stood out. When we were in one or two-high man, the safeties were often not in position to help the CBs. Hargreaves, as has happened some the latter part of the season, played undisciplined, got burned, and wound up looking like anything but a lock as a first rounder. Clearly, his head was elsewhere. Poole, bless his heart, was no factor.

All told, what had been the lynch pin of the team and was largely responsible for our ten wins wilted at the end. Again, I am both proud and a little surprised still that we won ten and the east this season, but the last three games kind of knocked the shine off of what was accomplished. I'll be interested to see how the bowl affects us in preparations for next year as well as a strong finish in recruiting, as I don't see all of the positives just yet. Losing a hard fought, competitive game is one thing, but getting trounced with an inconsistent and, dare I say, a lackluster performance is quite another. If winning the game was not paramount, then we either have some prioritization that needs adjusting or my way of thinking does not and will not jive with that of the era we find ourselves in if yesterday is any indication of such.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

I have to agree for the most part. As far as giving Mac a pass, I don't really want to, but I don't see any choice.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I'm a fan of Mac but not so much endeared to his approach to the bowl. But then again, I'm a relic and many of my views are 20 years old or more. My opinion is clearly our team was not focused in terms of efficiently and consistently competing with the goal of defeating Michigan as the primary goal.

I think we moved the ball well enough in the first half to score more than a single TD (on a trick play no less). Much of it can be attributed to Treon and his legs, though he did make some good throws. However, his poor decision-making reared its head at a most inopportune time and our OL play was extremely poor yet again. Goolsby's drop of what may have been one of Treon's better throws this season summed up, to me, our lack of focus offensively.

Defensively, I think we played with more aggression (front seven) than we did proper technique and discipline. Brantley and others on the DL got way too far upfield too often trying to make a big play and the result was leaving an unprotected gap that the Wolverine backs could read and exploit. Likewise with the LBs. Davis (prior to his stinger) and Morrison took too many false steps that allowed them to get penned by a backside OL, leaving a wide cutback lane that, again, the UM RBs easily found and gashed us with. The secondary play, for the most part, just plain stunk. Safety play, or lack thereof, stood out. When we were in one or two-high man, the safeties were often not in position to help the CBs. Hargreaves, as has happened some the latter part of the season, played undisciplined, got burned, and wound up looking like anything but a lock as a first rounder. Clearly, his head was elsewhere. Poole, bless his heart, was no factor.

All told, what had been the lynch pin of the team and was largely responsible for our ten wins wilted at the end. Again, I am both proud and a little surprised still that we won ten and the east this season, but the last three games kind of knocked the shine off of what was accomplished. I'll be interested to see how the bowl affects us in preparations for next year as well as a strong finish in recruiting, as I don't see all of the positives just yet. Losing a hard fought, competitive game is one thing, but getting trounced with an inconsistent and, dare I say, a lackluster performance is quite another. If winning the game was not paramount, then we either have some prioritization that needs adjusting or my way of thinking does not and will not jive with that of the era we find ourselves in if yesterday is any indication of such.

Cover,

I've been waiting for your thoughts. And as always, I'm not disappointed. The only thing I would add is to comment on how often I saw people running out of bounds to avoid contact. Sheez, no physicality,, a direct result of Mac's approach to the game?

For the record, your "old school" approach works for me. Win the damm game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.