Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

RocketCity-

You want to see VH3's stock hurt? Wow.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
To my mind player development might be a fair trade for a close loss, but "getting trounced with an inconsistent ......and lackluster performance" swings the needle the other way. Bad decision, bad trade-off.
By the way, why don't sportswriters ever ask "Coach, do you think giving the seniors the vacation may have sent the wrong message?"?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac made a decision about long-term program success over short-term success. The way we played was so much more than Macs decision. The leaders on this team are still Muschamp guys. Because of the bowl practices, the leaders next year will be closer to what Mac is looking for. This loss is more on the players. No discipline. Selfish play.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Big deal. We were hardly the only team to get badly beaten this week. Sparty got freakin shut out by 38 points. The domers got pantsed by urbs. Clowns looked like crap. Both OK teams looked terrible. Iowa was completely embarrassed by the trees. It happens. These bowl games are always a crapshoot as to what team will show up. Don't make it more than it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
These bowl games are always a crapshoot as to what team will show up. Don't make it more than it is.
I agree with what you're saying about Bowl games. We see every year a couple of eye openers....But when you throw in the fact that the team went 4-4 in the last 8 games with 2 "embarrassing wins" Vandy & FAU, people are just hoping it is not a trend....it doesn't take a whole season for a coach to completely lose a program and fan base....

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with what you're saying about Bowl games. We see every year a couple of eye openers....But when you throw in the fact that the team went 4-4 in the last 8 games with 2 "embarrassing wins" Vandy & FAU, people are just hoping it is not a trend....it doesn't take a whole season for a coach to completely lose a program and fan base....
By the same token, people's expectations of greatness were obviously premature considering that even before our end-of-year skid we were damn lucky to win some of our games. Kentucky and Tennessee come to mind. This is why watching how the team is actually playing is important, rather than the notion some people have that a W is a W.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Short term success versus long term success is bull. You play the game to win the game in front of you. That embarrassing loss to Michigan did nothing, nothing, to help the long term success of the Gator program. The time for "player development" is in recruiting season and spring ball.

We didn't show up. Period. Another thing that bugs me is when Coach Mac says we will show up or we showed up. You got to do more than just show up. You can't just show up and expect to win. You have to show up with preparation and the desire to win.

In the first part of the season we were on an upward trajectory. Even after a win Mac would be critical of the team trying to get them to play better. Then in the last part of the season even when we lost, Mac would say things like I am proud of this team and we are a good team. There was a disconnect there.

I think Mac is a good coach. I think he will get our program back on track. Yesterday two other SEC teams, Tennessee and Ole Miss, won bowl games. Those were two teams we beat during the regular season. If we are going to play "meaningless" bowl games, I would rather be the winner of a "meaningless" bowl game. To lose like we did to Michigan in a "meaningless" bowl game renders us "meaningless" until the 2016 starts. In college football you are either moving up or moving down. You are only as good as your last game.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Let's play "what if".
What if the Fake FG works (and it should have)? 7 points for the good guys
What if Goolsby doesn't drop that TD pass: 7 points for the good guys
What if Treon knows the actual down/distance: 7 points for the good guys
What if VH3 doesn't get burned twice: -14 points against the meatchickens
Those aren't big ifs. This is a big IF.
The game is UF 28 Meatchickens 27. If two of those things happen maybe the D plays with a little more interest. Maybe we keep the 'mo that Treon actually had going for us in the first half.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That game was not a good reflection on our HC nor our CFB program.
It is a pre-NSD squelcher and for fans it at least partially erases the meaning of
this 10-win season.

In fact, the season's last half makes Mac enigmatic enough for me to fear that
we'll see Treon as starter next year ?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah. It didn't turn out so good. But to lay it all at Mac's feet is unfair. See my "What if" post above. We were in position(s) to win.
I honestly think VH3 did the most damage to change the emotion of the team's play at game time.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
In regards to QB he was lucky to get a grad transfer that made it through the season healthy which is a big reason I'd like Mac to go after a grad transfer regardless of how good Del Rio might be.
I think we had one hell of a better defense to start the year plus our recruiting class was much better than theirs, I think they finished 3-9 last year though and I would think their overall rating of players had to be much lower than our roster overall.
One area that was obvious that he did much better was over strength and conditioning....Their players actually look like big time CFB players.....about half of our guys do....that's what I meant about buying in and working with less.
During the broadcast they mentioned harbaugh likes the big guys

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Look, Mac knew he was screwed after the Grier debacle.He knew he could win with Grier. I don't believe he ever truly trusted Grier's (or his family's) personna (hence he never showered Grier with praise).

However, he knew that once Grier was gone, his goose was cooked. He only had Treon and he had to make the best he could with him. Strangely,
he was competitive vs. LSU and Ugly. Then there was total regression. Other teams knew they didn't have to even gameplan for Treon. I believe Mac & Nussmeier didn't even attempt to adjust to Treon's limited skill set rather keeping their system in place for the long-term (sorry Okee).

Mac 1) knew he was already playing with house money and 2) knew he had a flawed QB, OL and K positions.

Why go balls to the wall with that against you for a meaningless bowl game that will soon be forgotten? Remember, it's only been a couple of years since we were painfully introduced to the Midline.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
RocketCity-

You want to see VH3's stock hurt? Wow.
VH3s stock isnt hurt, even a liitlle. Some of you people are clueless.

The first TD was two safeties high. The CB takes flat zone and safeties take deep halves. Maye sleeping like always and wasnt even close.

Second TD was one high. The only safety takes deep but corners have to drop deeper take outside routes and make sure safety doesnt have two or more receivers threatening deep. It was a post route running right at Maye in the middle. No excuse. No clue what he was doing bc there was no play fake either. He just wasnt watching the receivers I guess.

Simple explanation for you guys.
You should see:
Safety deepest, receiver, then corner

You should NOT see:
receiver, corner, and safety come into the screen 1.5 seconds later.

Dont worry. The scouts know wazzup.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
.But when you throw in the fact that the team went 4-4 in the last 8 games with 2 "embarrassing wins" Vandy & FAU.
Actually Kintucky and Mizzu were atrocious offensive performances also and just as embarrassing. Tinerc was borderline embarassing also.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
VH3s stock isnt hurt, even a liitlle. Some of you people are clueless.

The first TD was two safeties high. The CB takes flat zone and safeties take deep halves. Maye sleeping like always and wasnt even close.

Second TD was one high. The only safety takes deep but corners have to drop deeper take outside routes and make sure safety doesnt have two or more receivers threatening deep. It was a post route running right at Maye in the middle. No excuse. No clue what he was doing bc there was no play fake either. He just wasnt watching the receivers I guess.

Simple explanation for you guys.
You should see:
Safety deepest, receiver, then corner

You should NOT see:
receiver, corner, and safety come into the screen 1.5 seconds later.

Dont worry. The scouts know wazzup.

Hargreaves, as has happened some the latter part of the season, played undisciplined, got burned, and wound up looking like anything but a lock as a first rounder. Clearly, his head was elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator