Was Mac smart?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine your life so dark and miserable....thats all he knows..
I can't imagine sitting around in a stoned haze being so damn paranoid and thinking that the cops are going to kick in my door at any moment to "steal my stash", then managing to transfer that paranoia to everything else, including hallucinating that the only reason that the NCAA took away my girlfriend Grier was because Treon must have narced on him.

There's a lot of dumb shiiit posted on this board, but this is near the top.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody believes me, but I still say Treon is the one that turned Grier in for taking the banned over the counter whatever he took. They were supposedly best friends. If anybody knew what Grier was taking, it was Treon. I think he knew, and he told because he wanted to start. I have no proof, but none of you have proof he didn't. So there! Also explains why Grier is transferring. After your best friend squeals on you, you probably want to get as far away from the Benedict Arnold tattle tale as you can. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

tin-foil-hat-300x241.jpg

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It's weird. Mac is basically getting a pass because our last coach was so freaking bad. I don't necessarily disagree but getting outscored 97-26 in our last three games is definitely trending down.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anyone is giving him a pass. It's just a realization that he inherited the worst ragtag OL in IA and Treon to work with. In short, no way to make any offense. That wasn't Mac's fault.

If we are in the same position late next year, I suspect there will be a whole lot less trouble finding seating on the Mac Train.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It's weird. Mac is basically getting a pass because our last coach was so freaking bad. I don't necessarily disagree but getting outscored 97-26 in our last three games is definitely trending down.
:scared:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he's getting a pass and he definitely knows the expectations of the Gator Nation. I even said back on the day that they announced the Bowl Matchups that it wouldn't be good shot that we beat Meatchicken. I think Mac wanted to try to win as much as everyone. But he was light a boxer in title bout with one hand (offense) tied behind his back and his trainer in the corner numbing his good arm (defense) so bad he can't even swing. The only shot we has in that game was the D and they didn't show.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Ooh,ooh! I don't think you were supposed to say that.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Big deal. We were hardly the only team to get badly beaten this week. Sparty got freakin shut out by 38 points.

Against a team we lost to 29-15. Does transitive property allow that we are better than the B1G despite this minor issue of MICH kicking our ass? Not poking at you, Zambo, just noting we at least scored against AL, whereas MSU did not. I agree that Sparty lost badly.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Against a team we lost to 29-15. Does transitive property allow that we are better than the B1G despite this minor issue of MICH kicking our ass? Not poking at you, Zambo, just noting we at least scored against AL, whereas MSU did not. I agree that Sparty lost badly.
It's not about the transitive property, but simply a question about whether Sparty or any of those other teams are doomed to mediocrity due to a bowl game loss. It only means so much.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I think a lot of it had to do with setting expectation from Mac's point of view.

The fans - We didn't know what we'd get out of his first year, anything from 5-7 to 15-0 (realisticly 10-11 wins was the ceiling). And here he went and won the East with a 10 win season. He needs to keep the fan base tempered (not easy to do with as unrealitcily demanding we can be), so he can't win an NC the first year knowing we'll expect one every year. He needs room to grow. I think this is is partly true, but no coach ends his season thinking "I need to lose a few games to keep the fans at a sane level".

The players - Consider the only bowl experience on this roster (ignoring red-shirts) would be a loss to Louisville in the 2012 Sugar Bowl, Christmas with the family for the 4-8 bowl season, and most recently a win in the 2015 Nobody Cares Birmingham bowl. There's no experience for what it takes to make it to a quality bowl (much less a playoff spot) and compete once you get there. He can use this meaningless Citrus bowl for building the future = lack of preparation and focus by the leaders makes a piss poor showing on the field and drops their NFL stock. Message sent - either you are here with us day in and day out, focused on winning, or you have already checked out and are of no use to us. Leaders need to set the example and hold the others accountable to that example. Let that sink in for next year's team that wants to achieve something meaningful. I think this had a more significant role in us showing our ass on national television.

Aside from any degree of conscious decision making to not tighten down on everyone and get solid bowl prep work done, I think a huge aspect was he still was dealing with a sht hand. He had a QB he's known since spring practice couldn't get it done, and it had proven out over the back half of the season. He had several players either injured or doing stupid stuff to get suspended prior to the bowl so his roster gets even shorter. And then there are those entertaining NFL dreams. I get that every year there are underclassmen you depend upon that will consider leaving early - they are good enough to be considering it, so they are likely the better players on the squad. But the mental approach with both the suspensions and the NFL evaluators is not where it needs to be, it is still in the 'Me' mentality and not the 'Team/Us' mentality. You can still get NFL evaluations and make a decision, but that can't be the foremost in your mind if you are preparing for a bowl game; the foremost thought is 'what do I have to do to help us win'. IMO, Mac didn't have a team with the right mental makeup of 'team first' to properly prepare for this bowl game; so rather than fight it, he chose to go with it and let it set the lesson for what happens when players come in with the 'me first' mindset. It's the Citrus bowl, nobody cares. I believe THIS was the major factor for any 'lack of preparation' that might be attributed to him - that he decided he couldn't make them care, so he let them experience this type of bowl game in hopes they'd understand why he drives them so damn hard in future seasons. Your leaders of the future will remember this humiliation and hopefully take the lead with the others on doing what is required.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he's getting a pass and he definitely knows the expectations of the Gator Nation. I even said back on the day that they announced the Bowl Matchups that it wouldn't be good shot that we beat Meatchicken. I think Mac wanted to try to win as much as everyone. But he was light a boxer in title bout with one hand (offense) tied behind his back and his trainer in the corner numbing his good arm (defense) so bad he can't even swing. The only shot we has in that game was the D and they didn't show.

He'll get three years to show if he is a keeper or not. What coach doesn't want to win? I do question some of his decisions - the extra time off for seniors and draft eligible players this bowl season. I thought that was a huge mistake. I also think his decision not to change the offense around Treon because he didn't want to sacrifice the learning curve of other players in the system...was a HUGE mistake. You play to win this Saturday not next year. He still trended down and his offense was as bad as Muschump's. There's no asterisk in the books saying you had roster holes. No one cares. Chump went 4-8. It's in the books. There's no disclaimer about injuries.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Secure it. Mac will have two full recruiting classes in by that game in 2017. The man just did a 10 win miracle with a dumpster fire he inherited. Let him work and build the program back up.
Thank you bro. You get it. I am not sure everyone on this board does.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A few weeks ago, I was celebrating the fact that he would be back. I've reached the point now where I find the mere mention of Grier's name as annoying, or even more, than Muschamp's, which is saying a lot. I'm really over this ridiculous saga.

:butthurt:

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can't imagine sitting around in a stoned haze being so damn paranoid and thinking that the cops are going to kick in my door at any moment to "steal my stash", then managing to transfer that paranoia to everything else, including hallucinating that the only reason that the NCAA took away my girlfriend Grier was because Treon must have narced on him.

There's a lot of dumb shiiit posted on this board, but this is near the top.

:popcorn:

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
I think Mac made a decision about long-term program success over short-term success. The way we played was so much more than Macs decision. The leaders on this team are still Muschamp guys. Because of the bowl practices, the leaders next year will be closer to what Mac is looking for. This loss is more on the players. No discipline. Selfish play.

This

G8RATL

Master of My Domain
Aug 14, 2015
I'm just glad they showed early on that they weren't there to play a full effort. I told my son in the first quarter, the D isn't even trying and O players just cruising out of bounds instead of picking up yards. Cleared up my day when I turned it off. No need to waste 3 hours when they aren't there to play.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The last game is problematic. We all want to win. We want to have something go hold onto and brag about till the next,......forever it will seem......year. I remember my last HS football game. We beat the mortal sh#t outa PKY as an underdog. That was a great ending. But we have to face reality. Our offense was horrible for too many reasons. The answer is time and recruiting. The guy started like a house of fire and then other teams figured us out. We could not pass so play the run. It was devastating. Me, I saw the def. plays some amazing games against good teams. When the outcome and offense was completely apparent then the Def. faltered. You can only hold a team so long when your offense keeps handing the ball back quickly. I am excited about our future. I think we have a smart guy running the program right now. If he can get some good players he knows what to do with them. AND they will behave or their "choices" will have them sitting or gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator