Warning: Political Takes Washington State head coach FIRED for refusing vaccine

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Our system stopped elective procedures Multiple times over the past 18 months to conserve staff and beds. There has been a nursing shortage for years that preceded Covid. Covid has just exacerbated it. As I’m sure you have read, it’s easy to create beds , it’s another to be able to staff them. The other issue is that once Covid patients are vented they reside that way for weeks tying up icu beds with very little turnover other than death. I take a middle of the road position, there are much deadlier diseases out there for sure, but I can’t deny what I’ve seen with my own eyes.
good thing we're handing front line workers their walking papers for daring to exercise personal freedom of choice.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
good thing we're handing front line workers their walking papers for daring to exercise personal freedom of choice.
yeah I don’t agree with that. Healthcare jobs are thankless and it’s ludicrous to fire those that actually want to do them. I’m a believer in natural immunity and at a minimum presence of antibodies should be looked at as an exemption if a mandate is in place.

BigClawsBrother

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2017
I’ve already had Covid. I am not vaccinated but think every one should have their own choice to do so. Just respect my choice to trust my own immune system.

Lurker

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The state of Washington's Covid vaccine mandate permits employees to apply for and receive a religious exemption to the vaccine. The football coach applied for a religious exemption and it was denied. That is the biggest, overlooked issue here. What are the criteria for receiving the religious exemption, who is responsible for enforcing it, and was it fairly applied in this instance? Many employers, including hospitals, are so wary of questioning the legitimacy and veracity someone's self-professed religious beliefs that they won't deny an employee a religious exemption for the Covid vaccine, even when they suspect the employee is lying (i.e., medical workers who already get vaccinated for the flu and a myriad of other diseases that decide they won't take the Cover vaccine for religious reasons). Some state of Washington official(s) just did it. If the coach is contemplating any sort of legal action, I imagine that it would be on this basis.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Not sure I want to get into this argument but I’ll provide some in the trenches perspective. Granted I’m not a hospitalist or intensivist but Merely a lowly outpatient doc. I’ve had dozens of patients die from Covid. Granted most were very old. However I’ve also had many youngish 30-50’s age patients get hospitalized. Yes they don’t die but when they followup with me they are still dealing With the physical fall out of having had Covid. And looking at my hospitals numbers 90% of the people admitted are unvaccinated. The ones that are vaccinated and get admitted are typically over 65 but most of them don’t ever progress to needing critical care (icu) and/or being on the ventilator
Having said that. I don’t agree with mandates. Calling this the flu is misguided as to my knowledge I’ve never had a patient die from the flu in my career. Covid ain’t Ebola but it ain’t the flu either
How dare you try to insert a neutral, rationed response to this conversation, that doesn't include at least one reference to others being an idiot, marxist, lib, or some other derogatory word!

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Just like everyone who appears on CNN, you’ve skipped right over NATURAL IMMUNITY. It’s nearly scientifically proven to be better than vax induced immunity. Also the vax seems to wain in 4 to 6 months but yeah sure your employer or the government should have a call in what you put in your body? Also while we’re at it, let’s make the unvaxed wear little pieces of flair on their arms So everyone knows who’s unclean.
You are completely missing my point, I fully support you choosing to believe what you want to believe based on whatever you get your information. My point was based on my strong republican believes that individuals should have responsibilities for their choices and actions. Let everyone have the freedom to make those choices as long as it is not to the detriment of society as a whole. So if folks do not want to get vaxed then let their insurance premiums reflect their appropriate risk level. That is all.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How dare you try to insert a neutral, rationed response to this conversation, that doesn't include at least one reference to others being an idiot, marxist, lib, or some other derogatory word!

No offense, but there have been numerous well thought out, rational responses in this thread. Probably a half dozen by me alone and plenty more, the majority with no name calling. They just don’t all align with your position, so they’re immediately dismissed as irrational or not neutral. In many ways, you’re just making ltraz’s argument that everything must be extreme to one side or the other.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
antibodies should be looked at as an exemption if a mandate is in place.
Once you step back from the assumption that all this is being done simply to end a pandemic, you will understand why things such as natural immunity are not considered.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
This is outrageous and moronic. More extortion tactics.

How is that outrageous and moronic? Insurance rates are always adjusted for risk factors. Obesity, smoking, etc. If the group claims data shows that one group makes a lifestyle choice that impacts claims, then adjust the rates. That's all I am saying. Who knows, maybe there is no difference between claims dollars spent between vaxxed and un-vaxxed? If there is then adjust the rates appropriately.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How is that outrageous and moronic? Insurance rates are always adjusted for risk factors. Obesity, smoking, etc. If the group claims data shows that one group makes a lifestyle choice that impacts claims, then adjust the rates. That's all I am saying. Who knows, maybe there is no difference between claims dollars spent between vaxxed and un-vaxxed? If there is then adjust the rates appropriately.
The difference in premium would be tiny and likely wouldn't be worth the administrative cost to implement.

But given that more than half the country has had covid at this point and natural immunity appears to be superior to that provided by the vaccine, it would be amusing to see the reaction from liberals when they found out unvaccinated people who had covid and recovered paid lower premiums than vaccinated people who never had covid.

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
yeah I don’t agree with that. Healthcare jobs are thankless and it’s ludicrous to fire those that actually want to do them. I’m a believer in natural immunity and at a minimum presence of antibodies should be looked at as an exemption if a mandate is in place.

That's a great and logical point. And one that has been made countless times.
This isnt a question for you directly, but why is natural immunity not even considered?
Wouldnt the "sciency" thing be to test for antibodies, then make a decision?

I've read articles saying the vaccine offers better protection, and I've read articles saying natural immunity offers better protection. I've read articles saying the vaccine protects you longer, and I've read articles saying natural immunity protects you longer. It's a real shocker people are confused, frustrated, and skeptical. Then you throw on the politicians and their absolute bullshiit.

Since we are all telling anecdotal stories. My wife's Christian preschool is allowing antibody testing in lieu of vaccination. ALL (and it's not that many.... but 7) teachers who have not been vaccinated and were looking for natural immunity exemption, had SCREAMING antibody results. And not one had a single symptom. My instinct tells me damn near everyone has antibodies at this point.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Once you step back from the assumption that all this is being done simply to end a pandemic, you will understand why things such as natural immunity are not considered.

It is absolutely disgusting how Washington has handled every single aspect of this. It's either out of sheer incompetence. Or sheer "never let a crisis go to waste" by attempting to cause as much fear as possible to get other shiit done. I've read about it, and there are horrific examples throughout history of it, but I never fully grasped what the government could actually accomplish if they strike enough fear into the public.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've read articles saying the vaccine offers better protection, and I've read articles saying natural immunity offers better protection. I've read articles saying the vaccine protects you longer, and I've read articles saying natural immunity protects you longer.
Don't read the articles, read the actual studies the articles are based on.

For example, an article I saw claiming vaccines were better cited a study done on marines in basic training. They were comparing the percentage of marines who tested positive for the virus for a second time with the percentage of people who developed symptomatic illness after receiving the vaccine. This comparison was made despite the fact that none of the marines in the study had symptomatic illness.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
You still haven't answered my (implied) question. Does your dictum that actions have consequences (and the results should be meekly accepted) apply to unintended and unwanted pregnancies?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The state of Washington's Covid vaccine mandate permits employees to apply for and receive a religious exemption to the vaccine. The football coach applied for a religious exemption and it was denied. That is the biggest, overlooked issue here. What are the criteria for receiving the religious exemption, who is responsible for enforcing it, and was it fairly applied in this instance?
A lot of employers are frankly counting on the religious exemption to keep their operation going. The CEO of the one I'm closest to (without naming any names) has told people I know off the record that he doesn't care if you worship a rock in your basement, its not his job to investigate your religion or make judgements about your sincerity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator