Wednesday Worsts….overrated

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Disney.

Don’t get me wrong, the one time we went we had a good time, and they do a lot of things right, but I don’t get some of the crazy love for it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Disney.

Don’t get me wrong, the one time we went we had a good time, and they do a lot of things right, but I don’t get some of the crazy love for it.

I think Disney today is a far cry from what it was when I was growing up(some good, some bad). It’s very adult friendly and has some really good restaurants, mostly outside groups that have partnered. But I can agree with you based on the fact that you were coming from out of state. To me that changes everything. I’ve never lived more than a 2.5-3 hour drive away, so it was accessible and generally discounted for being a Fl resident. If I had to drive 5+ or fly, I would do it once. That’s it. The cost, both monetary and time, is way too much to make it worth it, imo.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I think Disney today is a far cry from what it was when I was growing up(some good, some bad). It’s very adult friendly and has some really good restaurants, mostly outside groups that have partnered. But I can agree with you based on the fact that you were coming from out of state. To me that changes everything. I’ve never lived more than a 2.5-3 hour drive away, so it was accessible and generally discounted for being a Fl resident. If I had to drive 5+ or fly, I would do it once. That’s it. The cost, both monetary and time, is way too much to make it worth it, imo.
We wrapped it into a visit to the grandparents and spent 3-4 days there, so perhaps that was a factor, but I know people from even further away than we were, who think Disney is incredible and go regularly. I agree with you about the food; we ate several really good meals. We lucked into a good deal when we went to Epcot; they were doing a special that year where kids under a certain age got in free on their birthday. We have twins and timed the trip for their birthday!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ll give my overrated nod to the Bahamas. Freeport is basically Riviera Beach with an accent. And even Nassau is just not that great. Like I mentioned above, in reverse, it probably has a lot to do with where you live. If I’m flying in from Wisconsin and haven’t seen the sun or a nice beach in half a decade, that’s probably different. But if I’m leaving Juno Beach to fly 45 minutes to get to essentially the same water, plus the passport headache, and the expense of it all, it’s simply isn’t worth it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We wrapped it into a visit to the grandparents and spent 3-4 days there, so perhaps that was a factor, but I know people from even further away than we were, who think Disney is incredible and go regularly. I agree with you about the food; we ate several really good meals. We lucked into a good deal when we went to Epcot; they were doing a special that year where kids under a certain age got in free on their birthday. We have twins and timed the trip for their birthday!

There’s an Il Mulino is the Swan hotel where we stay that’s great. Trattoria version, and not on par with the original in Greenwich Village, but still really good. Todd English also has a place in the complex. Lots of ripoffs for Applebees type food as well. But if you’ve been a ton(a product of proximity again) and know what to avoid, there’s definitely some great food. Not surprisingly, you seemed to have done well.

If by chance you find yourself there again, go to a restaurant called Ravello, at the Disney Four Seasons. Best pasta in the area.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
There’s an Il Mulino is the Swan hotel where we stay that’s great. Trattoria version, and not on par with the original in Greenwich Village, but still really good. Todd English also has a place in the complex. Lots of ripoffs for Applebees type food as well. But if you’ve been a ton(a product of proximity again) and know what to avoid, there’s definitely some great food. Not surprisingly, you seemed to have done well.

If by chance you find yourself there again, go to a restaurant called Ravello, at the Disney Four Seasons. Best pasta in the area.
Maybe once we have grandchildren...........if their parents are paying.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

Technically that applies to all steak places. It’s the one high end meal that can easily be replicated at home at a fraction of the cost. Great technique cooking(like French) or ingredients you don’t typically see can be justified. Most steak places cannot. But on that note, I’ll add Peter Luger to the list. Even within the confines of steak places, it’s overrated.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Hilton Head, South Carolina. There just isn't much to do there. The beaches are the most crowded that I've ever seen. The restaurants are over priced and traffic is horrible.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Hilton Head, South Carolina. There just isn't much to do there. The beaches are the most crowded that I've ever seen. The restaurants are over priced and traffic is horrible.

Never been. The whole name and location sounds like it would be crawling with yinzers and others from Ohio/Alabama/Missouri type areas. So I could see that being a good pick.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Never been. The whole name and location sounds like it would be crawling with yinzers and others from Ohio/Alabama/Missouri type areas. So I could see that being a good pick.
While there I did see quite a few Ohio license plates. A few Alabama tags and some Florida plates too.

BTW, what is a "yinzer?"

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
While there I did see quite a few Ohio license plates. A few Alabama tags and some Florida plates too.

BTW, what is a "yinzer?"

People from Pa/Ohio areas that say “yin’s”, short for “You ins”, their version of Y’all.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Its a close contest between Manhattan and New Orleans. Both were full of drug addicts and bums pissing on the sidewalk. I'm really not sure which one is worse.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Its a close contest between Manhattan and New Orleans. Both were full of drug addicts and bums pissing on the sidewalk. I'm really not sure which one is worse.
Been to San Fran lately? There’s actually an app (sarcastically called the “crap app”) that tells you which streets should be avoided because of all the human defecation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.