Wednesday Worsts….overrated

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My one and only trip to @t-gator mom’s house. Let’s just say the carpet didn’t match the drapes and I can still hear the echo.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My one and only trip to @t-gator mom’s house. Let’s just say the carpet didn’t match the drapes and I can still hear the echo.
Carpet didn't match the drapes? Now we all know you're a lier

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only Morton’s I’ve ever eaten at is the one in West Palm. And for two decades plus it has been fantastic. Far better than RC.
Morton's is good, but I can cook a steak just as well if not better.

I'm with you and would rather spend that kind of coin on a meal that actually takes real skill and effort to prepare.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Morton's is good, but I can cook a steak just as well if not better.

I'm with you and would rather spend that kind of coin on a meal that actually takes real skill and effort to prepare.

I have fond memories of the WP Morton’s. Only ate in the dining room a few times but used to hit their bar every Wednesday for $3 martini happy hour. They would pass around these filet sliders(no longer free) on homemade hamburger buns. I’d always tell the guy my friend had to hit the bathroom but wanted one as well, so I could snag an extra each pass. First starting out, not a lot of money, that was dinner most Wednesday nights.

But as you said, put that money toward something you can’t make. And to throw this back Disney’s way, and to give an example of their rip-off’s, was just at STK in Disney Springs last month. The 10 oz filet Oscar
Is $104. I’d forgotten about that and owe Mr. Luger an apology. STK is by far the most overrated.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mona Lisa.

Not the whole Louvre. That was great. Just the Mona Lisa exhibit. Very disappointing.

Got another one. Stone crab claws at Joes down in Miami, cold with that mustard sauce. Maybe they would have been better served hot with drawn butter and lemon, but not the way they served them. Highly overrated. Sorry not sorry.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mona Lisa.

Not the whole Louvre. That was great. Just the Mona Lisa exhibit. Very disappointing.

Got another one. Stone crab claws at Joes down in Miami, cold with that mustard sauce. Maybe they would have been better served hot with drawn butter and lemon, but not the way they served them. Highly overrated. Sorry not sorry.

Alex.

This is heartbreaking.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stonehenge.

stonehenge-PCBQWYP-min.jpg

There was a time when you could walk right up, but now there's only one day a year that they let you through. Every other day you have to stay behind the ropes where the people in the pic that look like ants are standing.

It's also really small and a 2 hour drive from London with really nothing else around.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Bernardo de la Paz

Never knew that about Stonehenge. That sucks.

Similar note. I went(by force) to the Tulum Ruins as a kid. Place is terrible. A few hours of that and it was total understandable why these people wanted to kill and sacrifice humans. I thought that area of Mexico was garbage in general, but would’ve been much happier seeing more of Cancun than spending like 4 hours to do this tour. Remember it vividly to this day.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Along those lines, blow off Trinity Site. Just stop in San Antonio and eat a burger at the Owl.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Technically that applies to all steak places. It’s the one high end meal that can easily be replicated at home at a fraction of the cost. Great technique cooking(like French) or ingredients you don’t typically see can be justified. Most steak places cannot. But on that note, I’ll add Peter Luger to the list. Even within the confines of steak places, it’s overrated.
Agreed, and agreed on PL's. We used to hit the back grill at the S&W in Manhattan when I had work there and before they opened all the other locations... didn't have to dress up or act douchey for the back grill.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Agreed, and agreed on PL's. We used to hit the back grill at the S&W in Manhattan when I had work there and before they opened all the other locations... didn't have to dress up or act douchey for the back grill.

S&W is good. Bobby Vans is another that is a little more casual. Sparks is my favorite though. Quintessential NYC steakhouse. The problem I have with Peter Luger is the rave. All the talk about how people leave Manhattan to go to Brooklyn just to eat there is insane. Went once when one of our traders who lived in Brooklyn wanted to take us. Very good steak. Not worth the hype.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We were in DC several years ago at some fancy smancy restaurant and the son ordered a $12 PB&J sandwich. Talk about overrated. He barely remembers it. :shakehead:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
S&W is good. Bobby Vans is another that is a little more casual. Sparks is my favorite though. Quintessential NYC steakhouse. The problem I have with Peter Luger is the rave. All the talk about how people leave Manhattan to go to Brooklyn just to eat there is insane. Went once when one of our traders who lived in Brooklyn wanted to take us. Very good steak. Not worth the hype.

Second on Sparks.

But honestly, if you know what you're doing on the grill, you can get as good (and most of the time better) steak at home than in a high-end steakhouse. Peter Luger does make an amazing steak that's definitely better than Morton's, RC, or Rachel's ( :grin: ), but for the price? Meh. Same applies to all steakhouses though, as has been mentioned.

Best steaks I've had recently were at a Memorial Day BBQ.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Second on Sparks.

But honestly, if you know what you're doing on the grill, you can get as good (and most of the time better) steak at home than in a high-end steakhouse. Peter Luger does make an amazing steak that's definitely better than Morton's, RC, or Rachel's ( :grin: ), but for the price? Meh. Same applies to all steakhouses though, as has been mentioned.

Best steaks I've had recently were at a Memorial Day BBQ.

Never found the appeal of Rachel’s for dinner. Used to do the lunch buffet like once a week when I was single and has the finial mapped out. And I’d go there at night. Just not for dinner.

Did a PE raise once where the CFO had his own table near the stage at Rachel’s. Actually had his name on a brass sign. :lol:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Never found the appeal of Rachel’s for dinner. Used to do the lunch buffet like once a week when I was single and has the finial mapped out. And I’d go there at night. Just not for dinner.

Did a PE raise once where the CFO had his own table near the stage at Rachel’s. Actually had his name on a brass sign. :lol:

That was completely tongue-in-cheek.

But it's a nice segue into my contribution: strip clubs in general. The vast majority of time I've gone to one, the number of attractive girls usually amounts to less than 2.

All the ones I went to in the military were a complete waste of time & money; and while Rachel's and Mon's in Tampa are a marginal step up in quality, just never saw the point tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb