Wednesday Worsts…Sports Loss

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Probably the loss to the nulls in ‘96 in Tallahassee- (and getting pelted with garbage from passing cars while walking home on Pensacola St.).
…but that was just the darkness before the dawn in New Orleans a couple months later.
suck it, clown college.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
‘94 Auburn. Started the day by overthrowing a football at our tailgate and hitting a girl right in the face, who was a friend of the family and getting married in like a month. Heard about that the whole way in to BHG. Then the loss, which was suffocating in a way I’d never experienced, because we were #1 and it meant so much more by then than it ever had before. To this day, I don’t think I’ve ever heard the Swamp so quiet on the way out. Just nauseating, shocking pain. To top it all off, even knowing what I just went through, my first ever real girlfriend broke up with me on Sunday. Stayed in my room listening to Mazzy Star and Pumpkins’ Siamese Dream for like a week.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
So back in 1990 I’m dating this nice gal. I mention I’ve got a buddy who lives in Knoxville who can get tickets for free to football games and he’ll let us stay at his house as well; would she be interested in going to see her alma mater play and see if this new coach, Steve something, is all he’s cracked up to be? She’s all over it and off we go.

The first half is a defensive struggle and her Gators trailed 7-3 at the intermission. She excused herself to go to the restroom and while she’s gone the proverbial roof caves in. She comes back and it’s 21-3 and tinerc is driving for another score. At the end of the third quarter it’s 35-3 and she’s had enough. While walking to the car we see fireworks go off twice more and hear that godawful song twice more.

Needless to say she was in a lousy mood the rest of the night and I pretty much let her be. Surprisingly, I agreed to go to more games in future years and they have never lost since when I’m in the stadium. A streak I was concerned about around 10:30 or so last Saturday, but nevertheless remains intact.

While it’s been good since and we’re still together 32 years later, that game was the worst.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
‘94 Auburn. Started the day by overthrowing a football at our tailgate and hitting a girl right in the face, who was a friend of the family and getting married in like a month. Heard about that the whole way in to BHG. Then the loss, which was suffocating in a way I’d never experienced, because we were #1 and it meant so much more by then than it ever had before. To this day, I don’t think I’ve ever heard the Swamp so quiet on the way out. Just nauseating, shocking pain. To top it all off, even knowing what I just went through, my first ever real girlfriend broke up with me on Sunday. Stayed in my room listening to Mazzy Star and Pumpkins’ Siamese Dream for like a week.
Ouch, that one cuts deep for me too for reasons I don’t want to discuss.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
‘94 “Choke at Doak.” We blow a big lead and let the Nole$ come back and tie us. Pruett’s prevent defense in the 4th quarter gave up 4 TDs. I was there and it was the absolute worst. I recall listening to Spurrier’s post game presser on the radio driving home and a reporter asked him about the 4th quarter D. “It was a ’prevent’ and that’s exactly what it did…it prevented us from winning!” Technically it wasn’t a loss, but it felt as bad if not worse.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gold Eagles GIF by Georgia Southern University

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
‘94 “Choke at Doak.” We blow a big lead and let the Nole$ come back and tie us. Pruett’s prevent defense in the 4th quarter gave up 4 TDs. I was there and it was the absolute worst. I recall listening to Spurrier’s post game presser on the radio driving home and a reporter asked him about the 4th quarter D. “It was a ’prevent’ and that’s exactly what it did…it prevented us from winning!” Technically it wasn’t a loss, but it felt as bad if not worse.

The choke was definitely a loss. I don’t think Spurrier even ever danced around it. It was almost unspoken of and a day that we all try to forget.

Fun fact on that game. Guess who planned their wedding that very afternoon. That’s right. Football-to-the-face girl from my Auburn story above. I’ve always blamed her for both losses. Though I can’t help but think if my throw had had a little more velocity on it, the damage may have been enough to postpone things and the whole tragedy could’ve been avoided. My poor sister was in the wedding and left to go to it when we were up 31-3. She had no clue what had happened and only knew from our facial expressions that something went wrong. Terrible.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That fiesta bowl against Nebraska

96 FSU and "the echo of the whistle"

2001 Tennessee

The swindle

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
2001 UT at home. We were 18 point favorites, headed to SEC Championship against an LSU team we had beaten 44-15 at Death Valley, with a great shot at winning Spurrier’s second Natty. The results were catastrophic with not only losing all of that, but also ended up being Spurrier’s last game at The Swamp as Gator Coach. Damn Bin-Laden to hell!!!

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
The Swindle in the Swamp. It was on my birthday no less, and I treated myself to tickets to that madness. It was later that evening when I discovered the Porpoise was gone. Fuchs that day.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Oh, and I proceeded to NOT get carded by the bouncer manning the door at whatever the Porpoise had become. Talk about adding insult to injury at that time. I was only 28.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The Falcons SuperBowl and the 91 World Series for pros.

06 Auburn I put a hole in the wall. At least it turned out good at the end of the year.

97 LSU for some reason always stung a lot as well.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if this is the worst ever but it deserves to be mentioned in this thread

1980 Georgia game “Run Lindsay Run.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.