Wednesday Worsts...bites or stings

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Crazy yellow jacket nest! What was he spraying on them?
He says "permethrin". Its the same stuff we hunters spray on our clothes to kill ticks. Its also what some exterminators will spray around your house and under your eaves to prevent termites from moving in. The stuff kills em wet or dry.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
He says "permethrin". Its the same stuff we hunters spray on our clothes to kill ticks. Its also what some exterminators will spray around your house and under your eaves to prevent termites from moving in. The stuff kills em wet or dry.
I always used 100 octane gasoline. Knocks them down right away. Or you can just light and burn the place down.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
8.webp

I double dog dare you!

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Back in the mid-80's I worked for a lawn care company. I went to treat a yard and the homeowner came out to greet me before I could get started. He pointed at hornet's nest hanging from a tree in his front yard and told me that he was expecting a pest control company to show up at any time to spray the nest. He also said that he had called a couple of other pest control companies who all refused to come out. Sure enough, within a couple of minutes the bug man showed up. He examined the nest then went back to his truck to get his sprayer. He walked right up to it, stood almost directly beneath the nest and started spraying. He didn't have any "protective" equipment on to prevent himself from being stung. He didn't need it. It killed the entire hive. I was sitting in my truck 20 yards away with the windows rolled up...

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Back in the mid-80's I worked for a lawn care company. I went to treat a yard and the homeowner came out to greet me before I could get started. He pointed at hornet's nest hanging from a tree in his front yard and told me that he was expecting a pest control company to show up at any time to spray the nest. He also said that he had called a couple of other pest control companies who all refused to come out. Sure enough, within a couple of minutes the bug man showed up. He examined the nest then went back to his truck to get his sprayer. He walked right up to it, stood almost directly beneath the nest and started spraying. He didn't have any "protective" equipment on to prevent himself from being stung. He didn't need it. It killed the entire hive. I was sitting in my truck 20 yards away with the windows rolled up...

Did he look like this?

iu

Alex.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
The pain from a wasp/insect sting generally fades after a day or so. True hell is getting into a bunch of chiggers. Especially your feet, ankles, legs. That infernal itching lasts for a week or more. And almost nothing helps. Only thing that comes close is extremely hot water...as hot as you can stand and then a few degrees hotter. Replace the itch with a near burn and let your endorphins take care of the rest.Get them open and put a drop of bleach or ammonia on them, burns like a bitch for a few but chiggers will be dead

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Guy I know does pest control and will walk up and pop a wasp nest and hardly get touched, according to him wasps go to motion, stay still and they don't bother you. I don't think I can do that.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not a first hand account but a friend growing up stepped on a stingray and it got him with its tail. Left a pretty nasty well defined spiral scar up his calf. He said it was unreal pain, which I believed based on how it looked.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
several decades ago, I backed a tractor into a yellow jacket nest while clearing a lot.

Ouch x 32
Same here with a backhoe. I tried to get the outriggers up and put it in gear at the same time but had to jump off. One suspended wheel was spinning on top of a saw palmetto. I watched from a distance taking stock of a dozen or so stings while the tire started a fire on top of the palmetto.
“Welp, got no choice…gotta go back up there.” The good news is the smoke from the fire chased the yellow jackets away. Hell of a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.