Wednesday Worsts...Excessive decoration celebration

When should the Christmas decorations come down?

• Day of or day after Christmas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By new years day

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • At least by February

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • NEVER!

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I voted by New Year's Day, but my family has always leaned toward "first week of January."
Mom always said it was bad luck to have your decorations up after New Years Day. But we also ate collard greens and black eyed peas too because …..tradition.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Mom always said it was bad luck to have your decorations up after New Years Day. But we also ate collard greens and black eyed peas too because …..tradition.
But do you know where the black eyed pea and collards tradition came from (or originated to be etymologically precise.)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
But do you know where the black eyed pea and collards tradition came from (or originated to be etymologically precise.)
I know it's a southern thing. Possibly even originating from slaves maybe. I think it represents health, wealth and prosperity.
My parents are from south Ga.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I know it's a southern thing. Possibly even originating from slaves maybe. I think it represents health, wealth and prosperity.
My parents are from south Ga.
It is Southern and having BEPs for New Year's Day is supposed to portend a prosperous year. I think the collards part is just because they taste good. My grandmother, who lived at the end of reconstruction, told me that the tradition started AS (after Sherman). After the "late unpleasantness", anyone in the South that had black eyed peas on New Years Day was well off and probably would have a good year.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Which means your wife is taking them down why you screw around on a message board :lol:

“Hold on honey, my virtual friends need an update!”
Actually, we are at a break right now. I have unhooked all the electrical stuff and put garlands away.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
We take our tree down and and turn off our outdoor decorations after celebrating New Years.

My wife fixes up a mess of collards, black-eyed peas and jalapeno cornbread for New Years dinner. It's more of a gazing thing than a sit-down thing. But if I add tabasco and pepper vinegar and it's an epicurean delight of the first order!

Our only issue is that fat back for the collards is getting harder to find. I don't know why but Publix says it' has something to do with USDA (I do not like food police). I can still get salt pork or pig bellies a Publix, but it is not the same. I'll try a butcher.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We take our tree down and and turn off our outdoor decorations after celebrating New Years.

My wife fixes up a mess of collards, black-eyed peas and jalapeno cornbread for New Years dinner. It's more of a gazing thing than a sit-down thing. But if I add tabasco and pepper vinegar and it's an epicurean delight of the first order!

Our only issue is that fat back for the collards is getting harder to find. I don't know why but Publix says it' has something to do with USDA (I do not like food police). I can still get salt pork or pig bellies a Publix, but it is not the same. I'll try a butcher.
Grandma used fat back. We have always used smoked ham hocks. Both are quite acceptable.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Wait, no hog jowl?
Maybe it's just a SGa/Nfla thing but I didn't think so.
Hog Jowls (hard to find this year in these parts)
Black eyed Peas
Greens
Cornbread

Always take down our decorations New Years Eve morning.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It is Southern and having BEPs for New Year's Day is supposed to portend a prosperous year. I think the collards part is just because they taste good. My grandmother, who lived at the end of reconstruction, told me that the tradition started AS (after Sherman). After the "late unpleasantness", anyone in the South that had black eyed peas on New Years Day was well off and probably would have a good year.
Incorrect. The Black Eyed Peas originated in LA in 1995

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s the entire Southern New Year’s Day menu and why we eat them

Black-eyed peas - for Peace
Collard greens - for Greenbacks
Hog Jowls - for Joy
Rice - for Riches

(As told to me by my Granddaddy, a true Southern Redneck from South Ga who migrated to Gadsden County in the Panhandle to find prosperity!)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Christmas tree and inside decorations are down. Glitter will remain for another 2-4 months.
:facepalm:

Outside decorations will have to come down another day because it’s raining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator