Wednesday Worsts... found in your food

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What is the worst thing you've ever found in your food?

One time I bought a jar of pickles and when I opened it there was a 2" shard of glass in the jar.

Sandwich with lettuce that had aphids crawling on it.

@Seedy would probably say mushrooms

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
If anyone found a slightly used bandaid in their coleslaw cup, served with a Wuv’s fried chicken platter at 13th and University circa 1981, I take no responsibility! I was just the trainee..

image.gif

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
When I was a little kid my oldest sister took me out for hamburgers and when biting into my burger I discovered a small rock. My sister was dubious and wanted to see it. When I showed it to her she pointed out it was not a rock; it was a tooth. I was supremely grossed out until she pointed out it was mine.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I found a hair in a bbq sandwich one time. It was a few years before I ate at that place again but when I did, I found another hair in my sandwich. Haven't been back and won't go back again...

And mushrooms. Mrs. Nalt buys spaghetti sauce with chopped up mushrooms in it. I pick them out and give them to her...

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
I found a hair in a bbq sandwich one time. It was a few years before I ate at that place again but when I did, I found another hair in my sandwich. Haven't been back and won't go back again...

And mushrooms. Mrs. Nalt buys spaghetti sauce with chopped up mushrooms in it. I pick them out and give them to her...

Eff that -- I'd throw that sauce in the trash, and seriously contemplate moving out of the house.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Eff that -- I'd throw that sauce in the trash, and seriously contemplate moving out of the house.

He’s serious.
We’ve established that this is grounds for divorce. I know what it takes to push him over the edge. :lol:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020

He’s serious.
We’ve established that this is grounds for divorce. I know what it takes to push him over the edge. :lol:
I like her cooking much better than my own. And it isn't the taste of mushrooms that I don't like but rather the texture. If they are chopped up small enough I don't even notice them. Sometimes though I find larger chunks and those have got to go...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I like her cooking much better than my own. And it isn't the taste of mushrooms that I don't like but rather the texture. If they are chopped up small enough I don't even notice them. Sometimes though I find larger chunks and those have got to go...

Funny story - we had torn down our house and were living with a neighbor while we were rebuilding our house. Syd was about 10 months old and we were 8 weeks pregnant with an "oops" baby. We forgot about our anniversary all together but I happened to make a hamburger pasta dish with mushrooms hoping he could just pick them out. And that's how the fight began! A week later @Seedy 's parents gave us an anniversary card and we realized that was the night of our "food fight." :lol:

Last edited:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I was at a red lobster as a teenager, and one of those bugs that looks just like a leaf crawled out of my salad.

manager offered a free dessert. My dad countered with “In exchange for me not telling every customer in the restaurant, how about you comp our entire meal”

They settled on 1/2 off and a free round of drinks

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He’s serious.
We are just the opposite. I love mushrooms any way you fix them, especially with a steak. My wife, on the other hand, hates them. But she’s good to pick them out and send them my way.

As far as the worst thing in my food, I’ve been fortunate to not run into any foreign objects, though I did get food poisoning once from a salad. Must’ve been some bad lettuce masked by the vinegarette. The absolute worst meal I got was at a local catfish place that had just changed hands. Me and a couple of buddies were heading to Tallahassee to a beat the clock deal and planned on filling up on some fried catfish as a buffer. When our plates came, the fish were beautiful and the waitress told us they tried a special mealing process and for us to tell them what we thought. My first bite was terrible. The fish tasted like they had sugar on them. We got up immediately to leave, couldn’t go any farther, and the waitress came running up to see what was wrong. When we told her how bad the fish were, she broke into tears. What we found was that they dredged the fish in chopped up fruit loops! :eek: They gave us our meal and shut down about two weeks later. It took a lot of beer that evening to wash that taste out. The clock won!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We are just the opposite. I love mushrooms any way you fix them, especially with a steak. My wife, on the other hand, hates them. But she’s good to pick them out and send them my way.

As far as the worst thing in my food, I’ve been fortunate to not run into any foreign objects, though I did get food poisoning once from a salad. Must’ve been some bad lettuce masked by the vinegarette. The absolute worst meal I got was at a local catfish place that had just changed hands. Me and a couple of buddies were heading to Tallahassee to a beat the clock deal and planned on filling up on some fried catfish as a buffer. When our plates came, the fish were beautiful and the waitress told us they tried a special mealing process and for us to tell them what we thought. My first bite was terrible. The fish tasted like they had sugar on them. We got up immediately to leave, couldn’t go any farther, and the waitress came running up to see what was wrong. When we told her how bad the fish were, she broke into tears. What we found was that they dredged the fish in chopped up fruit loops! :eek: They gave us our meal and shut down about two weeks later. It took a lot of beer that evening to wash that taste out. The clock won!

Eww, fruit loops? Where was that? Do you remember Moby Dicks on Thomasville Rd in N Tallahassee? We ate there almost every Sunday after church when I was a kid.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Eww, fruit loops? Where was that? Do you remember Moby Dicks on Thomasville Rd in N Tallahassee? We ate there almost every Sunday after church when I was a kid.
The restaurant was just below the Lake Talquin dam on Hwy 20. Used to be Ed and Bernice’s years ago. I think it’s still there, but it’s changed hands several times since.

I do remember Moby Dick’s and ate there a few times. It used to be pretty good. I always felt like one of the Beverly Hillbillies when we went there because we’d always see a couple of men in a blazer. I was with my grandparents (who raised me) and my granddaddy always had on a dress shirt with his t-shirt showing, khakis, and his Hush Puppies. I always had to comb my hair with Vitalis to keep my cow lick under control. We looked a little rural compared to the folks from Killearn, but always left satisfied. Going to Tallahassee from Quincy in those days was a big deal.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The restaurant was just below the Lake Talquin dam on Hwy 20. Used to be Ed and Bernice’s years ago. I think it’s still there, but it’s changed hands several times since.

I do remember Moby Dick’s and ate there a few times. It used to be pretty good. I always felt like one of the Beverly Hillbillies when we went there because we’d always see a couple of men in a blazer. I was with my grandparents (who raised me) and my granddaddy always had on a dress shirt with his t-shirt showing, khakis, and his Hush Puppies. I always had to comb my hair with Vitalis to keep my cow lick under control. We looked a little rural compared to the folks from Killearn, but always left satisfied. Going to Tallahassee from Quincy in those days was a big deal.

Moby Dicks was some really good southern food for a long time.
Mom moved from Killearn up to Talquin in the 90’s. Just sold the house this summer. It was directly across from the dam near the Whippoorwill marina. Prime real estate. The new owners tore down the old cinder block house and will rebuild in a few years. That’s a terrific lake.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Yellow mustard
:bart:
Not a big fan but it is useful as a binding agent on chicken wings or pretty much any chicken with the skin still on to hold dry rub on pieces when you’re cooking them on the grill. You never even taste it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb