Wednesday Worsts...Irrational Fears

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Let's discuss irrational fears like the monster living under the bed or the shark that might attack you in the pool.

What irrational fears did you have as a kid or if you are brave enough to admit it, still have as an adult?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
As a kid I watched a horror movie that I shouldn't have where the pool glassed over and the person drowned. Stupid I know but the thought was there when I swam as a kid. Now I have a fear of something falling on my head and I'm not sure where it came from. However a friend's brother was sitting on a bench in Jamaica and a tree branch fell on his head killing him about 10 years ago. Now I wear a hard hat when sitting on a bench. :lol:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Never been a fan of spiders after watching Arachnophobia as a kid. Didn't help that when we lived in Tallahassee we had tons of giant wolf spiders constantly getting in the house. Some were so big they even would scare the dogs.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
My friend's daughter has a fear of birds. Everything from cardinals to chickens. One day she opened the door and bird flew in while her parents were gone. She called her mom screaming so I had to go down and help her. When her mom made her mow the grass she would clang pans together to try to scare the birds away. :facepalm:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My friend's daughter has a fear of birds. Everything from cardinals to chickens. One day she opened the door and bird flew in while her parents were gone. She called her mom screaming so I had to go down and help her. When her mom made her mow the grass she would clang pans together to try to scare the birds away. :facepalm:
haha, that reminds me of a lady that I worked with years ago who was afraid of mice. If she thought she heard one, saw one, or even thought there was a possibility of one being in the area she would have a wooden ruler that she carried banging on EVERYTHING to try and keep them scared away.

One that comes to mind for me affects mainly teenagers. The fear that "nobody will like me" if __________. When in reality, 1. who cares if they like you. 2. Two years after high school you will most likely never see them more than 2 or 3 times for the rest of your life and 3. they probably don't like you anyways...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t necessarily fear snakes, but I’m not real crazy about them. If there’s ever one in the yard, he’s as good as dead. The white oaks in this area wreak havoc on the bird nests. I’m certainly not a snake handler (by any definition). I can remember my grandmother working in the yard and coming upon a rattlesnake. She calmly and swiftly got a hoe and dispatched it. I guess the “only good snake is a dead one” is in the blood.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I don’t necessarily fear snakes, but I’m not real crazy about them. If there’s ever one in the yard, he’s as good as dead. The white oaks in this area wreak havoc on the bird nests. I’m certainly not a snake handler (by any definition). I can remember my grandmother working in the yard and coming upon a rattlesnake. She calmly and swiftly got a hoe and dispatched it. I guess the “only good snake is a dead one” is in the blood.
Let's just say that if I see a snake when I'm on the mower I won't avoid them and have been known to chase them down to accidentally run over them! More than once, accidentally of course. My neighbor that lives 10 houses or so down the road thinks our house is the only one that has them. She wouldn't get out of her car in our driveway. In her mind our yard is a viper pit crawling with snakes. I tried to tell her that she has them too.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Let's just say that if I see a snake when I'm on the mower I won't avoid them and have been known to chase them down to accidentally run over them! More than once, accidentally of course. My neighbor that lives 10 houses or so down the road thinks our house is the only one that has them. She wouldn't get out of her car in our driveway. In her mind our yard is a viper pit crawling with snakes. I tried to tell her that she has them too.
If you grew up in Florida, there are only two species of snakes. Deadly venomous or dead. Especially if they surprise you. But I don't have an irrational fear of serpents; look at the trouble Eve got us into consorting with snakes.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Me

giphy.gif

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Definitely snakes. There’s not a single redeeming quality about them. They either want to strangle you and swallow you whole or inject poison into you and watch you rot.

As for irrational fears, I had recurring dreams as a kid about playing outside and being stuck in a tight underground tunnel. Couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve woken up in a panic from that dream. Doesn’t happen anymore, but to be completely honest, typing this was uncomfortable.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Cockroaches. I will run away screaming like a little b*tch.

My wife’s cousin decided to move up as well, and is pretty much a disaster. Not drugs or alcohol, just severe depression and mental instability. Long and short, she lives very much in filth and a few months back my wife was moving her sons car seat over to our car and it was loaded with like 100 cockroaches. Yada, yada, yada she’s banned from stepping foot in our house.

This may belong in the “Am I the A…?” thread.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
When I was 16, my folks rented our old house to a young married couple from some place up north, Atlanta think. Anyway, I was mowing the backyard when I heard her shreck and run out the front door with nothing but a towel. She had seen a palmetto bug in the shower. Palmetto bugs were my friends.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
As a kid, I had kid fears - darkness primarily.

I wouldn't call this irrational, as it's based in personal experience. As a kid about age 3-4 I followed the neighborhood kids into the woods looking for a kite. I got tired and sat on the dirt pile that wasn't a dirt pile. A few moments later I'm back at the house screaming with ants going in and out of every orifice of my young body. Dad's telling me to strip down and get in the tub, and I'm defiantly refusing because his buddy is there and I'm not getting naked in front of him. The fear that lingers today, though to a lesser extent, is of bugs getting in my eyes, ears, nose. Drives me to fits of finger digs and nose blowing.

Jaws kinda killed my interest in the beach. Not a great fear to get as a kid growing up in Florida. I don't enjoy any body of water anymore. Gator horror films, despite how cheesy they may be, combined with too many in person encounters in lakes around G'ville cured me of wanting to swim in either place any more.

I blame Stephen King's "It" for one that stays with me. Building upon the kids fear of the dark, a read "It" and forever have issues walking around street sewer drains.

More grown up fears that linger, and are irrational IMO, would be two. Over the years I developed a fear of heights. Growing up, no worries about doing any stupid thing, at any height, on any flimsy structure. Now, I'm laying flat down on my belly holding the kids by their belts as they lay on their bellies to look out over the edge of a cliff. Used to be I'd walk around the edge of it no worries. I think this is also parental fear about keeping the kids safe at all costs, but I was over the top in dealing with it and personally have no interest in being in tall buildings anymore. The second comes back to sewer drains, but it is more a fear of dropping anything while walking over them. I've always been one of those people who over thinks 'be safe', but I avoid walking over regular water drains in parking lots and elsewhere for fear I'll drop my keys or phone or wallet. I stare intently as I walk by sizing up the openings to decide if the phone would fit, and if I'd be skilled enough to kick it across the parking lot as it fell. Stupid fear, but I haven't dropped anything in there yet!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely snakes. There’s not a single redeeming quality about them. They either want to strangle you and swallow you whole or inject poison into you and watch you rot.

As for irrational fears, I had recurring dreams as a kid about playing outside and being stuck in a tight underground tunnel. Couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve woken up in a panic from that dream. Doesn’t happen anymore, but to be completely honest, typing this was uncomfortable.

Snakes and tunnels you say?

Have a seat on Dr. Freud's couch.

iu

Alex.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I don't fear wild snakes (95% of them will avoid you in the wild), but I've seen one too-many stories about snakes in the toilet biting sensitive areas of unsuspecting people that I always check, even during random 3am visits.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Wasps. I hate wasps. Detest them. I will stop whatever it is that I'm doing to kill a wasp.

As a child I was afraid of the electric hair trimmers at the barber. Was a red letter day when I decided to be brave enough to let them trim my neck with one.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Snakes are also very sneaky and Australian snakes are murderous. Especially if you can’t see them! FFS!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My wife’s cousin decided to move up as well, and is pretty much a disaster. Not drugs or alcohol, just severe depression and mental instability. Long and short, she lives very much in filth and a few months back my wife was moving her sons car seat over to our car and it was loaded with like 100 cockroaches. Yada, yada, yada she’s banned from stepping foot in our house.

This may belong in the “Am I the A…?” thread.
Kick her out of the state please. And send those nasty roaches with her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator