Wednesday Worsts.....Traditions

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Wednesday Worsts (on a Thursday :rolleyes3:) Traditions

I find the whole cake-in-the-face at a wedding humiliating and never funny. I don't know why but it bugs me.

1686232317988.png

Staying with the cake theme. Blowing out candles on a community cake is gross.
We call it sneeze-cake. No thanks

blow GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There’s a somewhat fine line between tradition and obnoxious cliche. Your cake reference is a perfect example of that and spot on. I never got that either. No idea how it started but I suspect a handful of people(and let’s be honest, Midwesterner white people not in particularly good shape) saw all these other wedding traditions like Jews smashing the glass, AA’s jumping the broom, etc and decided they just had to have something. It’s done once and then others have latched on to it like popular cliché phrases like “don’t go there”, “just saying”, GOAT, and so on. In the end, there probably isn’t a better way of announcing before family and friends that you probably won’t last as a couple and at least one of the participants is likely eyeing someone within the bridal party at that very moment. When the rumors of Joey banging one of the bridesmaids a few weeks after the wedding are confirmed, the list of speculation and “what happened” type gasped questions will be extensive. But anyone with a brain will know it’s almost absolutely linked to the cake-to-the-face incident and sadly, could’ve probably been avoided.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I have never understood the cake in the face at weddings either. I do like the 1st birthday cake for babies to make a mess of all by themselves though.

Not really a "tradition" of sorts but there is one thing that makes me cringe every time I see it. Women taking pics of themselves wearing a sports bra and usually leggings (what used to be called "tights" I believe) while showing the size of their "baby bump." IMO those pics are disgusting. I mean, if I wanted to see pics of a big old belly on a woman then I'd just go to a local Weight Watcher's meeting... :barfaway:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Well the cake in the face "tradition" goes back a ways. You can use it to your advantage. After my bride got cake on my face, very gently and not messily, I looked at her a told her I loved her way to much to do that.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
her: "Happy Anniversary!"
him: "It's our anniversary today? I thought it wasn't until later this year"
her: "No silly, it's the anniversary of when you first asked me out. Here, I got you something. You didn't forget, did you?"
him: "uh..."

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I hate the new tradition of the "big reveal" of a baby's gender. Just make the shower invitation pink or blue. I really don't care which you're having, and I don't need a cannon of colored dust blown over me to let me know.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I hate the new tradition of the "big reveal" of a baby's gender. Just make the shower invitation pink or blue. I really don't care which you're having, and I don't need a cannon of colored dust blown over me to let me know.
It really should be banned. How can you assume it’s gender before it can even tell you it’s pronouns?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The expectation that if you get a graduation invitation from someone you know, that you are obligated to give them a grad present. I get those things and they go to the trash shortly after.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dunno when this happened or why but now when your kid has a birthday party, you need a little gift bag full of cheap Chinese crap to give every kid that attends. Lunacy.

Back to weddings, concur on cake-in-face, will add the whole garter belt thing as well as the chicken dance, the macarena, and sweet caroline.

Tooth Fairy. Every parent hates this one.

Elf on a Shelf. Fine for bored stay-at-home moms with pinterest pages, stupid annoyance to everybody else.

Alex.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Graduation parties.
I'd never heard of them until I came to KY but people here have them for Pre-school, K, 5th and 12th graders. It's out of hand, imo. Maybe I'm just a bad parent. I asked lil Seedy several times if he wanted one (because of peer pressure) and he said no. We got him a laptop for college instead of $1000 on a party.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Do you or your kids write thank you notes? What’s your opinion on writing them or getting/not getting one?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Do you or your kids write thank you notes? What’s your opinion on writing them or getting/not getting one?
I hate thank you notes. Giving or receiving.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Our kids were required to send thank you notes to those who gave them gifts/money for graduating. IMO, it shows some appreciation and maturity on the kid's part even if they were forced to write them. I mean, at least they complied... :dunno:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">RIP Tom Petty. <a href="https://t.co/8akHgv3hKd">pic.twitter.com/8akHgv3hKd</a></p>&mdash; Cody Worsham (@CodyWorsham) <a href="">October 7, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I thought it was great in person... that FIRST time vs. LSU. I've said a million times, after that, shoulda been only on certain occasions.

PS It might just be my browser, but you botched the F outta that post! It's full Corch!

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I thought it was great in person... that FIRST time vs. LSU. I've said a million times, after that, shoulda been only on certain occasions.

PS It might just be my browser, but you botched the F outta that post! It's full Corch!
Nope, not your browser...I Corched the pooch in that one!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

My phone just asked me to shut down and NORAD wants to speak with me on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb