Wednesday Worsts...when the book was so much better than the movie

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Jaws improved upon the book by cutting the marine biologist’s affair with the chief’s wife.

Godfather brings the book to life faithfully, scene by scene, omitting just a minor subplot.
exactly..........on both accounts......damned Exorcist was exactly like the book

Jun 2, 2015
I usually find that books far exceed the movie except in the case of "Gone with the Wind" and "The Godfather" which I found to be equally very good. The movies, "Psycho" , "The Shining" & "Jaws" far exceeded the books and all 3 scared the bejesus out of me. For years I locked the bathroom door while showering, never went beyond ankle deep in the ocean and would only stay in light, modern hotels. James Patterson's Alex Cross series books far exceeds the movies although Morgan Freeman did a good job in the movie.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I usually find that books far exceed the movie except in the case of "Gone with the Wind" and "The Godfather" which I found to be equally very good. The movies, "Psycho" , "The Shining" & "Jaws" far exceeded the books and all 3 scared the bejesus out of me. For years I locked the bathroom door while showering, never went beyond ankle deep in the ocean and would only stay in light, modern hotels. James Patterson's Alex Cross series books far exceeds the movies although Morgan Freeman did a good job in the movie.

I read Jaws on a trip to Flagler Beach. After reading it, I didn’t feel safe in a pool or bathtub.

When I saw the head drop through the bottom of the boat in the movie, the guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said, “It’s ok son, it’s only a movie.” I was literally standing up and screaming. (I was 13.)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Moneyball.. I found the book quiet entertaining, the movie is good. But the book breaks down the logic better, and doesn't try to de-ass hole billy beane.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I read Jaws on a trip to Flagler Beach. After reading it, I didn’t feel safe in a pool or bathtub.

When I saw the head drop through the bottom of the boat in the movie, the guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said, “It’s ok son, it’s only a movie.” I was literally standing up and screaming. (I was 13.)

Saw Jaws several times as a young man. Took my Dad to see it. He was a clean plain-speaking Congregationalist from a farm in northern Maine. When the head floated out of the hole he gripped the seat arms, clenched his teeth and blurted explosively, "JEEZUS!!"

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
starship trooper. the book gives a great engineering explanation of feedback and a discourse on citizenship. the movie had a naked coed shower scene.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Jaws improved upon the book by cutting the marine biologist’s affair with the chief’s wife.
Granted it might not have made it for family friendly movie but the scene in the book when she is so hot and heavy for him that she leaves a snail trail on the chair was heart warming.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
The book is pretty much ALWAYS better than the movie. Usually far, far better than the movie.

A better question might be whether you can name a movie that was almost as good as the book, or maybe even better in a different way. The Shining comes to mind.

Alex.

Black Hawk Down.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Every book ever written by Michael Crichton and turned into a movie. Every one and I can say that confidently bc I've read every book he ever wrote, even the ones he wrote under a pen name, and seen every movie they made from his works.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Every book ever written by Michael Crichton and turned into a movie. Every one and I can say that confidently bc I've read every book he ever wrote, even the ones he wrote under a pen name, and seen every movie they made from his works.

This is fake news... I don't believe you can read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.