What’s John Hevesy doing now?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@gatorev12
Ah yes, I knew it would come around to this. Embarassing.

Billy Napier being a bad coach doesn't make Ron Zook a good one.

I think his point is really more how embarrassing it is that we fired a guy like Zook, and yet if he were to square off head to head against Napier tomorrow, he probably wins by three touchdowns(technically 22 points as I imagine we BN’s team botches an extra point). Mostly because, as I said, after the Utah loss last year, if RZ knew nothing else, it was that he didn’t know everything. He didn’t buck conventional wisdom, and insist on maddening approaches to the most obvious things insisting that others are less intelligent in the process. It’s also why he is generally viewed in a somewhat positive light. He wasn’t qualified, but how many 4th/5th options are.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
@gatorev12

I think his point is really more how embarrassing it is that we fired a guy like Zook, and yet if he were to square off head to head against Napier tomorrow, he probably wins by three touchdowns(technically 22 points as I imagine we BN’s team botches an extra point). Mostly because, as I said, after the Utah loss last year, if RZ knew nothing else, it was that he didn’t know everything. He didn’t buck conventional wisdom, and insist on maddening approaches to the most obvious things insisting that others are less intelligent in the process. It’s also why he is generally viewed in a somewhat positive light. He wasn’t qualified, but how many 4th/5th options are.
Napier is a better coach than Zook. That is saying very little.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I can't wait for the season to start. I'm going to have the time of my life.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Outside of fraternity fight involvement, in what capacity exactly? Other than uga(who was actually really good in ‘02, and he actually beat them) and Kentucky, I can’t think of another team in our schedule that wasn’t considerably better than they are now. And he never sniffed 5 wins.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Outside of fraternity fight involvement, in what capacity exactly? Other than uga(who was actually really good in ‘02, and he actually beat them) and Kentucky, I can’t think of another team in our schedule that wasn’t considerably better than they are now. And he never sniffed 5 wins.
I'm really not interested in debating Ron Zook's non accomplishments. Pretty irrelevant at this point.

I just want the season to start. It's going to get very interesting around here.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not 8. Not 9. TEN or he's out, regardless of any circumstances. It's year 3.
Both Spurrier and Meyer only won 9 with the bowl game in their third season here, so my bar is at 9 total. Not that our opinions matter. Strickland would be thrilled with 7 wins, unfortunately.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ah yes, I knew it would come around to this. Embarassing.

Billy Napier being a bad coach doesn't make Ron Zook a good one.
ive never said he was a good one. he was abjectly awful, but he still performed better than tater so the inconsistency in your hatred is what i was attempting to highlight. it was a joke big fella. you're still my favorite board admin.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You come to this conclusion by their W/L records or their recruiting rankings?
Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Not 8. Not 9. TEN or he's out, regardless of any circumstances. It's year 3.
I realize you are expressing frustration with the demand of some posters that it's 10 wins or he's fired. 7 RS, a bowl win, and 3 of our wins being against the florida teams would be a solid and better than expected season. I would take that. We aren't going from 5 wins to 10. 8 wins total and winning the state would be exceptional at this point. Napier does that and I will gladly listen to his meaningless post-game answers and enjoy his silly hand gestures while struggling to convey something coherent, and shout "THAT'S MY COACH DAMIT AND IT'S AN HONOR TO HAVE HIM !!!"

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I realize you are expressing frustration with the demand of some posters that it's 10 wins or he's fired. 7 RS, a bowl win, and 3 of our wins being against the florida teams would be a solid and better than expected season. I would take that. We aren't going from 5 wins to 10. 8 wins total and winning the state would be exceptional at this point. Napier does that and I will gladly listen to his meaningless post-game answers and enjoy his silly hand gestures while struggling to convey something coherent, and shout "THAT'S MY COACH DAMIT AND IT'S AN HONOR TO HAVE HIM !!!"
silver, if there's one thing we all are fully aware of, its that 7 wins to you means tater is awesome. we get it.

ox isnt saying 10 wins or he believes tater is fired, ox is saying he SHOULD be fired if less than 10 because this is year 3 at the university of freaking florida.

finally there are plenty of examples of teams with losing records exploding the following season, even when under a new coach that next season. mediocre malzahn took a team with a losing record and put them in the national championship game in year 1 of his auburn tenure. year 1, medicore malzahn.

5 wins to 10 would be easy for this exact roster and schedule if we had a coach who had half a F###N clue how to organize a team and hire good coaches. get ready for 5 because we dont have any of that.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
silver, if there's one thing we all are fully aware of, its that 7 wins to you means tater is awesome. we get it.

ox isnt saying 10 wins or he believes tater is fired, ox is saying he SHOULD be fired if less than 10 because this is year 3 at the university of freaking florida.

finally there are plenty of examples of teams with losing records exploding the following season, even when under a new coach that next season. mediocre malzahn took a team with a losing record and put them in the national championship game in year 1 of his auburn tenure. year 1, medicore malzahn.

5 wins to 10 would be easy for this exact roster and schedule if we had a coach who had half a F###N clue how to organize a team and hire good coaches. get ready for 5 because we dont have any of that.
I agree. Plenty of good coaches turn dead beat teams around year 2. I've cited Deboer at Washington several times. Their recruiting was objectively worse than UF's since 2019. How did he arrive and go from previous coach's 4-8 to 11-2 year one? Well, he likely knows exactly what his assistant coaches needed to be doing with their units and they were likely very good at their craft. I honestly believe Napier does not have the wherewithal to communicate then demand of his assistants what needs to be done and how soon it has to happen- compress the timeline. Probably because he really does not know. Napier is a weak assistant coach who was promoted then said some neat things to a naive Stricklin and here we are. Realistically, 7-8 wins is the best NAPIER can do, in all likelihood. Do we wish we had a Deboer type, of course. But we do not.

I'm just hoping for the best. It seems like it would take a miracle for Napier to beat all three florida team, but we need it. I just hope more often than not we watch our HC stammering, arms flailing aimlessly, trying to describe what led to that Saturday's win so that we can all say "that didn't make any sense but fuche it, you won".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mamab