What constitutes a "good" recruiter?

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
What are the attributes essential to being a dynamite recruiter? It appears players don't just respond to the depth chart and available playing time or facilities or the potential for championships. So, what abilities do coaches need to possess to bring in a stable full of five stars?

Do they need to have a high "hipness" quotient....talk the talk, share their music playlist, dab with the kids, sleep over for movie night? Is it just about being a back slapper and remembering everyone's name and hobbies and having a personality that is appealing to players....and high school coaches?

Based on the Brad Lawing story is it being without a moral compass and not just lying yourself but encouraging young people to lie also? Don't they need to be able to "coach" a little bit as well?

When a kid commits to a school on Sunday before Signing Day and the dead period begins, what can a coach actually do in those last hours to "flip" him to a different team?

I'm sure it's a more cut-throat, cynical business than I realize. I'd like to know more about what experts mean when they say someone is a great recruiter.

southerngrilling

Dec 5, 2015
Deep pockets and lots of lies. U tell these hot shot kids anything they want to hear to sign them. No one cares if they go to class and no e will ever graduate due to NFL aspirations. So u lie to hook them and pay to get them. Bama has been doing it for years. How else do u think they have stayed on top. Just like miaMI in the 80s

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Deep pockets and lots of lies. U tell these hot shot kids anything they want to hear to sign them. No one cares if they go to class and no e will ever graduate due to NFL aspirations. So u lie to hook them and pay to get them. Bama has been doing it for years. How else do u think they have stayed on top. Just like miaMI in the 80s
Don't forget halfassu :nole:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We used always have one or two in the top 10 on this list

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I know that you're being over-the-top, but you're probably not that far off.

You need guys that are going to sell it, and close it. Being completely truthful is not going to cut it unfortunately. If somebody's trying to sell you a refrigerator they're not gonna tell you about all of its negative features. There we can talk about positive ones and embellish on the benefits.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
29906-clip-art-graphic-of-a-man-carrying-a-heavy-money-bag-on-his-back-by-djart.jpg

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Crete's idea of a bagman is a fat slob with a high and tight haircut...

I'm shocked :lol2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What are the attributes essential to being a dynamite recruiter? It appears players don't just respond to the depth chart and available playing time or facilities or the potential for championships.
I would argue that winning is the most important. Kids want to win and will stand in line on a depth chart for championship teams. Show me a team with severe roster hole that need freshmen to play immediately and I will show you a team that is not a championship contender. Probably every team outside of the top 15 or so can offer early playing time for bluechippers. They rarely go to a team with that early playing time.

[/QUOTE]

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gators r not even in top 25. Wow how we have fallen. No way we can keep up with numbers like that.
I wouldnt be surprised if we were outside the top 80 if the voted on staffs. No other team fears anyone our staff.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Callahan is 157

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I guess I look at it a little different than most of you. As an Active Duty Army Senior Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) I compare recruits to new Privates. I want a well rounded Soldier that can do what I tell him without any push back but also able to think for himself. As an NCO you know you have done your job not when you trained your new Private to do it the Army/ your way and think on his own,. You have trained them when you get a newer Private and you are watching him from afar and see him mess up. Then before you can get there to correct him, the other Private that you just trained corrects him.
That is what I see as a good recruit as well. Think about it you have a Redshirt Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior taking a Freshman under his wing and showing him the "Gator" way and making him better, stronger, and faster. It doesn't matter if he is a 5* or a 0*. As long as he does his job better today than he did yesterday and is continuing to grow that is what makes a great recruit. Someone like the trolls that take plays off, has an attitude, thinks they are great, and don't think they can learn are not the ones I want on my team. I would rather have a 3* that plays like a 4 or 5* every play than a 5* that plays like a 5* for one play a game.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I wouldnt be surprised if we were outside the top 80 if the voted on staffs. No other team fears anyone our staff.

If you look at FSU's current staff they have Randy Sanders as the co-OC. He was despised at both UT and UK. They have Lawing and we know what kind of upstanding guy he is. They have a handful of former Nole players. Their DC is not one of the "hot" names on the coordinator circuit. I don't see where they have a measurable recruiting advantage based just on the personalities of the staff.

Jimbo's comments in the articles about Lawing telling Manuel to lie to the Gators points out the long term relationships they had with Manuel and other players who signed with them....saying they had been interacting with them for three or four years. I do believe that has something to do with their signing class....as well as their success on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.