What ever happened to Greg Oden?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Drafted before Kevin Durant: that’s talent
Sam Bowie called. Said hold my beer.

For the young folks, I speak of the draft when Houston drafted Akeem Olajuwon with the 1st pick. Portland selected Bowie at #2. And the Bulls had MJ fall to them at #3.

Something about Portland having high draft picks and screwing the pooch, sans the Big Redhead, Bill Walton. 1678405083292.png

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That might be the longest article I've ever attempted. Holy shcit, I read for 20 minutes and couldn't finish it

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That might be the longest article I've ever attempted. Holy shcit, I read for 20 minutes and couldn't finish it
Espn will do ones that take you hours. I never even finished the one on penn st and Joe pa.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Espn will do ones that take you hours. I never even finished the one on penn st and Joe pa.
The most interesting part of the Penn State story was the controversy over what to do about the statue of Joe Pa outside the football stadium. Many people were for removing it and many were for leaving it alone. In the end they decided to turn it so that it looked the other way.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I tried to read the Oden article but like some in the Sun now they go on and on and on. Oden was a good guy whose knees ended what might have been a very dominating career. Billy told Jo that Oden was gonna be all on him. That he would probably be abused but it was all about taking the other suckeyes out of the game. And it worked. Richards gave Jo a rest. I remember Speights first year. When he came in he immediately scored each time. He made some $$$ in the nba.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I think in the 07 game he had like 25/10 against us. Dude was a baller and we couldn't handle him. He had no help.

He may have been 21-22 back then, but his knees were 75.
Amen. And we had Noah, Horford & Richard to roll at him, plus Speights. We were loaded down low, making that stat line very impressive.

jbaker07

Oct 15, 2017
Agreed
We even put Maurice Speights on him for a couple of additional fouls.

Before we praise Oden’s performance that night one should watch the game again and you will see that although we committed about 20 fouls against him he committed nearly as many against us that night but for some strange reason the whistle stopped blowing after Oden got his third foul called.
The refs were afraid to foul him out. As I recall he fouled out in the Elite 8 and/or the final Four and his coach cried to the press about how Oden was being officiated "unfairly." He fouled out Noah, Horford, Richards, and almost Speights, Noah won defensive player of the year award in NBA in 2014, and was a two time first teamer on the NBA's all defensive team. Horford is still playing in the NBA, and has been an NBA All-Star 5 times. Oden was a great player, but those two were not that overmatched against Oden, and were not allowed to play in that game. The refs wanted Oden and Ohio State to win, and they officiated that way the entire game. Here is a perfect example of one of the many "blocks" Greg Oden had that the refs allowed.

block1.JPG

Oden struggled with foul trouble in his only season at OSU, and also struggled with it in the NBA.: Oden foul trouble article. Luckily the 04's were a much better team, had a much better coach, and were loaded with 3-point marksmen, and were therefore able to overcome the zebras on that day .

Attachments

• BLOCK.jpg
    BLOCK.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 7

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I think in the 07 game he had like 25/10 against us. Dude was a baller and we couldn't handle him. He had no help.

He may have been 21-22 back then, but his knees were 75.
I think you should look at the photo evidence posted above by jbaker and rethink how much praise you should heap on oden. He could've used brass knuckles and a switch blade on the floor and the refs still wouldn't have fouled him out. Screw that guy, screw the refs and screw the whiny posu coach.

Them Gator Boys were the vastly better team and posu should feel fortunate they were given the most expensive seats in the house to witness Gator greatness.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think you should look at the photo evidence posted above by jbaker and rethink how much praise you should heap on oden. He could've used brass knuckles and a switch blade on the floor and the refs still wouldn't have fouled him out. Screw that guy, screw the refs and screw the whiny posu coach.

Them Gator Boys were the vastly better team and posu should feel fortunate they were given the most expensive seats in the house to witness Gator greatness.

Thad Mata. Total fag.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The refs were afraid to foul him out. As I recall he fouled out in the Elite 8 and/or the final Four and his coach cried to the press about how Oden was being officiated "unfairly." He fouled out Noah, Horford, Richards, and almost Speights, Noah won defensive player of the year award in NBA in 2014, and was a two time first teamer on the NBA's all defensive team. Horford is still playing in the NBA, and has been an NBA All-Star 5 times. Oden was a great player, but those two were not that overmatched against Oden, and were not allowed to play in that game. The refs wanted Oden and Ohio State to win, and they officiated that way the entire game. Here is a perfect example of one of the many "blocks" Greg Oden had that the refs allowed.

View attachment 55551

Oden struggled with foul trouble in his only season at OSU, and also struggled with it in the NBA.: Oden foul trouble article. Luckily the 04's were a much better team, had a much better coach, and were loaded with 3-point marksmen, and were therefore able to overcome the zebras on that day .

Correct

You stated what I implied regarding the refs.
CBS influenced the officiating before the game started. There was no way that Oden was going to foul out of the game.
I don’t agree that CBS wanted POSU to win but they definitely wanted Oden to stay in the game. The visual you included is one of the obvious fouls not called

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
this thread is making me thirsty. Actually pissed off now that I have learned Oden was protected by the officials in that game. I dont think it mattered as we were SUPERIOR. Why would the refs want OSU to win and not us? Or even CBS? Does the eastern media STILL hate the south or then. Hell, Jo was from NY. Maybe it was just the game is better if the stars are still in the game. Whatever...........we have the hardware and Odin lost his health and could not play like we all thought he would in the NBA. Still think he is a good guy.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
this thread is making me thirsty. Actually pissed off now that I have learned Oden was protected by the officials in that game. I dont think it mattered as we were SUPERIOR. Why would the refs want OSU to win and not us? Or even CBS? Does the eastern media STILL hate the south or then. Hell, Jo was from NY. Maybe it was just the game is better if the stars are still in the game. Whatever...........we have the hardware and Odin lost his health and could not play like we all thought he would in the NBA. Still think he is a good guy.
My takeaway is a little different. I find it amazing we have posters still bitching about the refs from a game almost 16 years ago that we won. Hell, did tOSU ever get closer than 6 in the 2nd half?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Well, to be honest I will bchhh about shtt Uga did in the 1940s when they had lots of players on campus when ours were in the war and ran up the score.........

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
My takeaway is a little different. I find it amazing we have posters still bitching about the refs from a game almost 16 years ago that we won. Hell, did tOSU ever get closer than 6 in the 2nd half?

Amazing? Really? Its not your first day here. Have you learned nothing?

We at Chatter let nothing go, EVER.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Amazing? Really? Its not your first day here. Have you learned nothing?

We at Chatter let nothing go, EVER.
After years lurking and 4+ as a full blown chatterer it continues to amaze me the grudges some folks carry. (And no, I’ll never understand bitching years later about a game you won unless the other team was trying to hurt your players.) My dad use to joke that Irish Alzheimer’s is when you get old you forget everything except your grudges. Lot Irish folks here I guess.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I never said that CBS wanted POSU to win only that they wanted to ensure that Oden stayed in the game.
We were clearly the better team and CBS knew that so they were concerned about a blowout had he spent significant time on the bench. If you watch the film it is obvious that the officiating was suspect.
As far as bi!ching about it all these years later, I believe that the subject of this post is Greg Oden.

How is a gator fan supposed to approach a thread about Greg Oden without talking about the championship game in 2007?

How is a gator fan supposed to talk about the 2007 championship game without acknowledging the obvious approach from the refs during the game?

I agree that as a group we are quick to complain but every once and awhile it is justified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.