What ever happened to Greg Oden?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
After years lurking and 4+ as a full blown chatterer it continues to amaze me the grudges some folks carry. (And no, I’ll never understand bitching years later about a game you won unless the other team was trying to hurt your players.) My dad use to joke that Irish Alzheimer’s is when you get old you forget everything except your grudges. Lot Irish folks here I guess.
It's the pattern in the media that we're typically the bad guys in the game. When playing in the Final 4 against ucla (twice), they clearly wanted ucla to win it for Wooden. Nothing against Wooden, but we want banners, too. A nimrod named packer bashed UF when we played against msu in Billy’s first shot at winning it all in 2000 (a pattern of his). When we played george mason, Noah called out the media by saying, "sometimes it's good to be the bad guy." When we play the blue bloods, we don't deserve any support. When we're the favorite, they love Cinderella. When we won the first Big Dance, the talking heads in the post-game coverage immediately said we weren't to best team in the tourney, we just got hot at the right time.

Every time we won hardware, I enjoyed knowing how much the media was crying after the game as much as the win itself. It's us against the world and it's been that way for a long time.

Edit: you might benefit from Ox's re-education camp.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It's the pattern in the media that we're typically the bad guys in the game. When playing in the Final 4 against ucla (twice), they clearly wanted ucla to win it for Wooden. Nothing against Wooden, but we want banners, too. A nimrod named packer bashed UF when we played against msu in Billy’s first shot at winning it all in 2000 (a pattern of his). When we played george mason, Noah called out the media by saying, "sometimes it's good to be the bad guy." When we play the blue bloods, we don't deserve any support. When we're the favorite, they love Cinderella. When we won the first Big Dance, the talking heads in the post-game coverage immediately said we weren't to best team in the tourney, we just got hot at the right time.

Every time we won hardware, I enjoyed knowing how much the media was crying after the game as much as the win itself. It's us against the world and it's been that way for a long time.

Edit: you might benefit from Ox's re-education camp.
I promise: Next time I see you , you can lean on me for support to help you carry that massive chip on your shoulder.

As someone who came to love the Gators, and one Gator, and now two Gators, in particular, a little later in life, I have to say the hatred from the world/NCAA/media for UF is mostly imagined. (Hell, I know a bunch of Ugly fans who don’t hate UF nearly as much as they do Ga Tech.) I’m well aware this statement borders on heresy and I’m going to get some strong reactions - maybe even a threatened ban from Ox - but I just don’t see it the way most of you all do. (I will agree that the Clown and scUM fans definitely despise UF.)

Oh and as someone who grew up in ACC country and listened to Billy Packer, and a fella named “Bones” McKinney, calling all the college b-ball games on TV (pre ESPN), I can forgive him a little bit (just a little). He felt the way about ACC basketball the way southerners feel about SEC football. It’s just who he was. He was annoying as hell, but he knew his stuff. He did get a lot worse as he got older. Too much ego perhaps. RIP Billly, BTW; he passed away this past January.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I promise: Next time I see you , you can lean on me for support to help you carry that massive chip on your shoulder.

As someone who came to love the Gators, and one Gator, and now two Gators, in particular, a little later in life, I have to say the hatred from the world/NCAA/media for UF is mostly imagined. (Hell, I know a bunch of Ugly fans who don’t hate UF nearly as much as they do Ga Tech.) I’m well aware this statement borders on heresy and I’m going to get some strong reactions - maybe even a threatened ban from Ox - but I just don’t see it the way most of you all do. (I will agree that the Clown and scUM fans definitely despise UF.)

Oh and as someone who grew up in ACC country and listened to Billy Packer, and a fella named “Bones” McKinney, calling all the college b-ball games on TV (pre ESPN), I can forgive him a little bit (just a little). He felt the way about ACC basketball the way southerners feel about SEC football. It’s just who he was. He was annoying as hell, but he knew his stuff. He did get a lot worse as he got older. Too much ego perhaps. RIP Billly, BTW; he passed away this past January.
Well, that seals it... you need to be banned for life!

Jk...

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Bad knees and all...
1678732279981.png
1678732321134.png
Note they did not have spell-check back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator