What Gators Must Do to Reach 2014 SEC Championship

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well its obvious the offense must improve a lot but I do agree the offense doesn't even have to be top 50 or so in total offense. If the offense can get to around 400+ yards (which would be around # 70 total offense last season) we should be a legit contender if the defense turns out to be as good as we think it will be. The article ignores the reality of the defense last season however - that it was as high ranked as it was due to being on the field for the least number of plays in the whole country because of that TOP at all costs mess that Muschamp wanted from the offense. based on yards per play given up I think our defense was around the 40's.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...gators-must-do-to-reach-2014-sec-championship

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Block
Stay healthy
Be more balanced and imaginative with the playcalling
Have a plus turnover margin
Pray a little

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Be the better team 14 times? (12 regular season, 1 SEC Champ game and 1 playoff game) That would put is there I would think.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
With 2 SEC losses if one is to a west team I could see us maybe getting in if we have the tiebreaker.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We appear to have got the short end of the stick again with scheduling. We catch Bama and LSU in the west while Missouri appears to have the easiest west schedule and SC and Georgia catch Auburn but have a very winnable 2nd game.

If we win a tiebreaker it will be a 2 team head to head one most likely as we are not set up too good with the scheduling to win a 3 team tiebreaker.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Avoid injuries, move the ball, stretch the field more often

I went back and watched a lot of the games last year and even with the poor offense, we were in every game. Posters talk about getting blown out by Mizzou; yeah, final score looks bad but it was 23-17 going into the fourth quarter. Give us a better offense that makes defenses cover the entire field and avoid injuries and I like our chances in every game even going to Bama and FSU. Probably won't win those two there but I mean we have the talent on both sides of the ball to play with them.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
chferg said:
Avoid injuries, move the ball, stretch the field more often

I went back and watched a lot of the games last year and even with the poor offense, we were in every game. Posters talk about getting blown out by Mizzou; yeah, final score looks bad but it was 23-17 going into the fourth quarter. Give us a better offense that makes defenses cover the entire field and avoid injuries and I like our chances in every game even going to Bama and FSU. Probably won't win those two there but I mean we have the talent on both sides of the ball to play with them.
Part of being close in some games were teams playing conservative since we showed we couldn't do anything on offense. The LSU game and SC games were examples of that I think.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n24845 said:
Be the better team 14 times? (12 regular season, 1 SEC Champ game and 1 playoff game) That would put is there I would think.

Why only 1 playoff game? Wouldn't we want to be the better team in 2 playoff games?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Trying to be more specific rather than general:

1. Garcia and Moore need to vastly improve - The images of Tyler Moore being repeatedly bull-rushed into the QB by guys 40 pounds lighter than him still sticks into my mind. How that gets fixed by moving to guard confuses me, but we will see. Garcia looked really good in the spring and I think that is due to shedding fat and adding a good bit of muscle. The three other positions on the line will be fine.

2. Fullwood, and D-Rob - Fullwood and D-Rob were among the most highly rated receivers coming out of high school. It is time they lived up to the hype. If UF is going to compete for an SEC title then these two need to have good years.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This guy better be way off. He has us going 6-6 most likely with 4 sure losses to Bama, LSU, SC and FSU and 3 tossups which we will lose 2 of them (Georgia, Missouri and Tennessee). I had to laugh when he makes the comment if he isn't sure 6-6 will be enough to buy Muschamp an additional year.

At the 32:45 mark Florida starts.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think if we beat UGA, UT, KY, Vandi and MO we will be in good shape no matter what our record is against West Teams.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan said:
Must Beat LSU and SC at home
I think you are right. Even though Georgia is the biggest rival - SC looks to be the team to beat this season in the East.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It will have to come down to a tiebreaker most likely with USC or Georgia. I see us losing to Bama, but my opinion may change as we move forward. We still have a shot in every game moving forward in the SEC.

We need better play out of our LBs on defense. Morrison had a really good freshman campaign, but last year he was sub-bar. I look for Michael Taylor to lead the team here as a senior. We need our talent to overcome our lack of experience in the secondary and our DL to have a strong rotation behind Fowler and Bullard who I consider our strongest. I am looking forward to seeing Mcallister with the added weight.

On offense we need to be average. We need to have a downfield passing game, and Driskel needs to move logically through his progressions and show his athleticism. I look for Debose to have a big year, and McGee to be a great check down. Our OL is the really the make or break for this team. It's really a toss up on this position IMO. I'm excited to see our backs in space though.

Overall we just need to force turnovers and play smart and exciting football consistently. I say our odds are 30% to make it to Atlanta. My opinion may change as we get 2 or 3 weeks into the season.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
maheo30 said:
Trying to be more specific rather than general:

1. Garcia and Moore need to vastly improve - The images of Tyler Moore being repeatedly bull-rushed into the QB by guys 40 pounds lighter than him still sticks into my mind. How that gets fixed by moving to guard confuses me, but we will see. Garcia looked really good in the spring and I think that is due to shedding fat and adding a good bit of muscle. The three other positions on the line will be fine.

2. Fullwood, and D-Rob - Fullwood and D-Rob were among the most highly rated receivers coming out of high school. It is time they lived up to the hype. If UF is going to compete for an SEC title then these two need to have good years.
Both Fullwood and D-Rob need the time to prove that. They weren't given the opportunity to do that last year.

I might be mistaken but also wasnt D-Rob in trouble last year or at least in Champs doghouse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator