What is Romney’s agenda?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pablos Tunnel, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Pablos Tunnel

Pablos Tunnel Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,324
    Ratings:
    +832 / -39
  2. Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member
    Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,429
    Ratings:
    +3,089 / -187
    What an arrogant jerk! Corker and Flake refused to face the music. Graham grew some. Thought we made progress. Then this.

3. Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3,021
    Ratings:
    +7,498 / -19
    Romney-Memes-StoptheBull.jpg

• gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $889
      Ratings:
      +891 / -80
      It's hard to fault the things he said in the article since Trump IS an obnoxious azzhole and many of his tangents and rants are unbecoming of the office; and far from the limited mandate his 2016 victory won (he won by razor-thin margins in the states that carried him to victory: that's not a mandate for radical change).

That said: Ben Shapiro had a pretty good take on it in the National Review when he asked a similar question of what Romney's end-game is? Most Republicans ignore Trump's character flaws because he advances most of the conservative agenda; and it's also refreshing to see "progressives" called out for their bullchit. But as Romney learned firsthand in 2012: it doesn't matter how principled one's character is or how classy one is as a person, Democrats and their media lemmings will tear you down because anyone who doesn't share their agenda is evil. Doesn't matter if you're a Boy Scout or the actual second coming of Hitler: they're going to treat you as an enemy to be defeated and destroyed and they won't play fair in the process. So as detestable as Trump is as an individual: most of his policy agenda are things that your Republican constituents want to advance (and Utah is a deeply Republican state)...which is why most Republican Congressional leaders hold their nose and vote with him. Running this op-ed won't change Trump and it won't make Democrats like you or vote on your policies...it's just empty virtue-signaling.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey TaggelwainLivesMatter
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $24,376
        Ratings:
        +48,722 / -1,821
        Yes.... such a cnnt. He is just like McCain, milquetoast beta male wannabe dimocrat.

He represents the dying 5% of the Rockefeller Republicans to a tee. The kind of "Republican" that Mass Dims loved.

• Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $3,021
          Ratings:
          +7,498 / -19
          Willing to vote for and put up with Trump's character flaws than vote for a dorked out sore loser like Romney.

• Scott512

Scott512 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $676
            Ratings:
            +1,381 / -28
            I'm
            Romney choked in 12 and cant get over trump crapping on his rhino party in 2016. Mitt choked Trump did not. Yet Romney kissed Trumps ass in 2012 for Donalds full support. Lol.

• Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $2,705
              Ratings:
              +6,984 / -300
              His agenda? Something about save the R.I.N.O's ...

• Ancient Reptile

Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,429
                Ratings:
                +3,089 / -187
                Somebody should teach Romney that you don't have to tell everything you know.

• Ancient Reptile

Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,429
                Ratings:
                +3,089 / -187
                You realize, of course, that with McCain, Flake, and Corker gone Romney will be the media darling and we will have to listen to this jerk until Trump leaves office or someone stuffs a handkerchief down his throat. Any volunteers?

• gatorev12

Oxbucks:
                $889
                Ratings:
                +891 / -80
                Trump could also learn from this advice...

• Ancient Reptile

Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,429
                  Ratings:
                  +3,089 / -187
                  To the extent that Trump learns, it's from experience not advice. Besides, it was not offered in the hope of improvement; it was, as has been observed, mere virtue signalling. As such, it is a clear indicator of the lack of character in that branch of the party, coming from someone who was quite agreeable when he needed Trump's help.
                  I Think that Trump would be easier for you guys to accept if you thought of him as the successful coach of your team. Belichek to a Patriots fan or Saban to a Bama booster.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                  $1,758
                  Ratings:
                  +3,014 / -275
                  Only unbecoming of the office according to some, I question who gets to decide that. If I was president I would not be Tweeting but actually doing stuff.

New York would due to its governor being an ass would be cut off any and every amount of money or assistance that I could, same with other states.

• AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $3,079
                  Ratings:
                  +5,400 / -124
                  I'd agree. There is a saying...Experience is the teacher of fools.

• GatorAlways

GatorAlways Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $208
                  Ratings:
                  +411 / -158
                  Romney is just trying to set himself up as the "moderate Republican" - just like Susan Collins. That way, he can try and play Trump's foil in the primary (if there is one) or be positioned if Trump was somehow to leave office.

That being said, I'm not sure what you all would expect someone to say when Trump has publicly proclaimed the following:

I'd venture to say it's more than ok to publicly dislike someone and therefore not agree with someone who said that.

• AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $3,079
                    Ratings:
                    +5,400 / -124
                    Trying to plug the drain.

• gatorev12

Oxbucks:
                      $889
                      Ratings:
                      +891 / -80
                      Both Belichek and Saban have prickly personalities in public (and are widely understood to be jerks in private); but neither are known for saying controversial things either. Both are all business in that regard and manage their teams accordingly: with players and coaches strictly forbidden to talk trash or start controversies that distract from team preparations and focus.

It's one key reason both are successful; and while it would be nice to have Trump learn from their examples, I doubt he will.

• gatorev12

Oxbucks:
                      $889
                      Ratings:
                      +891 / -80
                      We all have a voice in determining what's acceptable from public servants...and currently: wide majorities of people in this country do NOT approve of Trump's conduct or his character. He agenda/results fare better: it's about 50-50 there; but he isn't exactly liked as a person.

How many times have I heard Republicans on this board--and in public--say things to the effect of "I didn't vote for him to be a priest, I voted for him to get things done" or "yea, he needs to stop with the Twitter stuff, but he's doing a good job with the economy?" Heck--that isn't much different from what you said above about if you were President, you'd be working more than Tweeting. Bottom line with that is Trump's Twitter rants likely do more harm than good in advancing his goals and agenda. It reminds me of trying to hook my buddy up with girls in law school: one friend of mine said "he's a good looking guy and I was interested when we first met...but then he talked." Sometimes, people don't know how to get out of their own way and Trump is in that category.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                      $1,758
                      Ratings:
                      +3,014 / -275
                      Thanks for your opinion, of course a majority don't like him, after all the voted for Hillary.

I would do some things differently, but the actual job has no requirements for the "style", only the process of getting elected.

When I see him in a serious setting he strikes me as a good listener, and someone who wants to perform as he promised. That is what counts to me, not his lack of traditional style. In fact I think Obama reading and organizing briefing books was a total waste of his time, but that is just my opinion.

• gatorev12

Oxbucks:
                        $889
                        Ratings:
                        +891 / -80
                        I mean, that's largely the point though: Trump's mandate is far smaller than he thinks it is and he ignores that at his own peril. Being liked isn't an end-all, be-all goal to aspire to: but it's also not something to completely ignore with the razor-thin margin of victory he had in key states.

You might love it when Trump calls Stormy Daniels a bimbo or horseface...but a mid 30s suburban housewife in Palm Beach who's voted Republican for the last 4 elections might feel very differently. Come 2020, she might sit it out if such behavior continues. Which is the exact scenario many Republican politicos worry about since Trump's approval ratings among women are terrible.