What is the reason for Mullen's perceived cap?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You think that the 4-7 was a product of talent or coaching? You'll say both probably but which MORE than the other?

Hell, I think he's doing a great job and I have said as much multiple times. It's the outrageous claims that we've found our guy to lead us to titles that I think is whacked out and premature. There's no data besides HOPE that says he is that guy...yet. Lots of overselling Mullen as the savior right now and we just got rocked by UGA. We also lost to UK. Nice win vs LSU. PROGRESS more than anything. There's nothing wrong with any of that but claiming he's the guy after 8 games is laughable. ****. Just enjoy the ride.

Exactly he is in game 8 of his tenure, so the data we have to go off of is 9 years at MSU and 8 games here. The greatest indicator of future performance is past performance.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was at wVanderbilt.
Absurd. Here is where you go nuts. Vanderbilt never won the division. Never will. Theyve never gone 5-3 or 6-2 twice.

Arky maybe. Gamecucks. Those are comparable teams and facilities to Cowbell.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Absurd. Here is where you go nuts. Vanderbilt never won the division. Never will. Theyve never gone 5-3 or 6-2 twice.

Arkansas has won the West a few times.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014

Vanderbilt and MSU are founding members of the SEC,

Vanderbilt’s all time winning percentage: .495

MSU? .493

For reference to your joke argument:

South Carolina: .512

Arkansas: .593

Dude shut the **** up

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

MSU? .493

For reference to your joke argument:

South Carolina: .512

Arkansas: .593

Dude shut the **** up

Not how Donkey made the comparison...… someone picking out the data they want to discuss instead of actually discussion what was brought forward.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Not how Donkey made the comparison...… someone picking out the data they want to discuss instead of actually discussion what was brought forward.
Jesus Christ Doug. He’s responding to my argument with data that’s hand picked. Not the other way around. MSU is a worse program all time. You’re picking data from 1998, a year where the West was absolute dog Shyt, to further a joke narrative they’ve been competitive before. Nothing no matter how much you want to sit here and pretend you can compare two unlike scenarios until you’re blue in the face is going to change the fact he isn’t hog tied to any pre conceived data when it comes to winning at Florida.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
The hilarity about your argument is the refusal to judge the competition at hand. Never mind the West was trash during Sherrills brief run at the top and Mullen is dealing with Saban, who is having the greatest run in history, while the West was firing coaches left and right to attempt to contend. The time frames aren’t comparable, the competition isn’t comparable, the jobs aren’t comparable, and Florida and MSU arent comparable. But please, keep trying to compare the two

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

MSU? .493

For reference to your joke argument
No one gives a shyt about stuff that happened a 100 years ago. We sucked every damn year in the leather helmet era too.

Youre making yourself silly trying to oversell the resume.

Everyone wants this to work out.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I still don't understand ONLY taking the positives from Mullen's tenure and none of the bad...the 5-7 record 2 years ago, the awful record vs ranked teams, losing record in the SEC, etc. It's like it never happened. Just unicorns and rainbows only. Seems odd but ok. Definitely not rational.

I'm out on this one. I'm satisfied so far with Mullen. We're not scoring against decent teams is my biggest complaint and we need to recruit better. Claims like he outcoached Kirby and other whacked out declarations are just the norm these days.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Never mind the West was trash during Sherrills brief run at the top and Mullen is dealing with Saban,

I just said we can spot him the Bammer losses. Hell Bammer made Creyer piss himself and quit.

It is the .500 against Burp Bielema and Matt Luke which is a HUGE red flag.

And you know it.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Mullen did pretty good at MSU He even had Starkie State ranked number one in the polls for a week. No coach at the Cowbell ever did that. Will he win a National Championsip at Florida? That’s a long shot unless you’re Nick Saban and you’re at Alabama. Will Mullen get us in the playoffs? Hell if I know, but he has a chance. Can you look at history? Maybe? Murry Warmath was head coach at Mississippi state and he won the National Championship at Minnesota. Darryl Royal was head coach at State and he won National Championships at Texas. But that’s ancient history you say. Ok I’ll give you that. Mullen might not be Nick Saban, but he’s not Sylvester Croom either.

Mullen is a motivator. He can get players to buy in to his program. We start winning and recruits will come to Florida. He has to instill discipline in his program and his players. That has always been a problem at Florida. Mullen has got to like his players. There was a mutual like and respect between Mullen and his players in Starkville. He has to build that at Florida. That’s where Urban Meyer went wrong. Mullen was here during that time. If he learns from Meyer’s mistakes he won’t let the inmates run the asylum.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen will win a championship at Florida. I'm all in and now on record.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Just got done reading a post about him being a 9-10-win coach. That's been my concern as well, that we'll be capped. He's obviously done a great job with the roster so far, but the lingering question remains. Can he take us to top?

I think it's here where we're most divided. But why are we divided?

Is it the perception that Mullen lacks the organization, scheme and ability to assemble a top-notch coaching staff or it is more the belief that he can't consistently recruit top athletes?

His record at Mississippi State, long a forgotten SEC West outpost, at once supports and haunts him.

Bear in mind, too, this ain't Mississippi State.
Once we get depth and QB he will be rolling. Momentum is on our side. Beating fsucks is a must for recruiting.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I still don't understand ONLY taking the positives from Mullen's tenure and none of the bad...the 5-7 record 2 years ago, the awful record vs ranked teams, losing record in the SEC, etc. It's like it never happened. Just unicorns and rainbows only. Seems odd but ok. Definitely not rational.

I'm out on this one. I'm satisfied so far with Mullen. We're not scoring against decent teams is my biggest complaint and we need to recruit better. Claims like he outcoached Kirby and other whacked out declarations are just the norm these days.
You judge the offense at this stage more by the opportunities created from the playcalling than the results. Witness our opening play against Georgia. The quarterback's shortcomings make that necessary.

The opportunities are clearly there.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Okay then who?

He won with MSU talent in the SEC West.

Look at UF under Urban with and without Mullen.

And I wanted Frost...Whould you be happy with what he's done at NE?

Chip Kelly at UCLA?

Would you have give Mark Stoups time? Would he be worthy?

So who?

I get so fed up with this fecal material...and this is year 1.

IMHO...UF has had 3 great HC:
Pell for builing the program which was crap before he got to G'Ville
SOS our greatest HC
Urban for 2 NC

So get it out of your system.

NOLA is Drunk but I don’t drink.

NOLA is on drugs but I don’t do that either

NOLA hallucinates again I am lucid

NOLA is delusional but what have I said that is “not real”

So answer this, “Why have I not enjoyed watching Gator Football since 2009 but I do now?”

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Whacked out declarations? I'd say lowballing the limits of what Mullen can do at UF after 8 games of his first season that follow the garbage dumpster fire program left to him by MacElwain is what falls into the whacked out declaration pile. If anything, where we are right now compared to where we were a year ago speaks volumes to what he can do more so than some googling of MSU history will tell you.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You judge the offense at this stage more by the opportunities created from the playcalling than the results. Witness our opening play against Georgia. The quarterback's shortcomings make that necessary.

The opportunities are clearly there.

No one is arguing that our current roster doesn't have holes. I would say that Mullen is a better coach than Kirby. That is not the argument, no one is saying that Mullen isn't a good coach, it's the argument is he a elite coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t bring rational argument into this 78. It doesn’t matter the West was a dumpster fire, it’s nOt tHe DaTa dOuG iS tAlKiNg AbOuT

Actual that is context of data, it's part of the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb