What made SOS a great Florida coach?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
What made SOS the greatest Florida coach?
Was it his offensive mindset, esp at the time he became UF's coach?

Was it his ability to coach and mold young guys into something they otherwise might not have been?

Was it his ability to recruit and attract top high school and coaching talent?

Or was it his ability to script plays that no one else could duplicate?
the simple answer is making Wait Till Next Year THIS year. Over and over.
Making other fan bases call into that southern radio show at night wanting to be LIKE FLORIDA.
By beating UGA like a bad step child over and over and over and over. AND doing between the hedges with gusto.
His extreme confidence in what he was doing.
His ability to see defenses and then disable them with his ability to exploit what they were doing to his advantage.
Also, his extreme loyalty and devotion to the University of Florida. He was one of us in the not so good times and wanted
the GREAT TIMES as much and probably more than we did. He endured the UGA ending of a great season and possible SEC title
as the leader of our team. HE NEVER EVER FORGOT.............and it showed.
Is it interesting we sent out an SOS for a great coach to finally bring us to glory and we got and an SOS?
And probably the greatest thing about the man was he did it his way and FAIRLY..............he didnt have to bend rules or
spread some $$$ around like the other great ones to show it could be done.................
Apologies up front but his statue by the stadium should be front center and twice as big...............
with a name like Steve you knew greatness was to follow..............;)

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He instantly turned the series with Georgia around. The dawgs totally owned us until his arrival in 1990. I think he was 11-1 against Georgia. The dominance lasted even after he left until recently.
Yout think the dogs owned us? SOS said "hold my gatorade" They did own us but he showed a NEW kind of owning.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To the OP:

Why are you posting an off-season topic just before an "important" game?

Bored? Scared we lose to UK and have an uplifting topic to assuage the pain?

Asking for a friend...

BTW...JK
I'm thinking ahead to around 10:30 tonight. This thread may start getting some hits.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
yeah 78, if we lose tonight, we hit that 1M post mark...
You could be right. This game amounts to a critical checkpoint. I'm not used to saying that about games in Lexington, but it applies with this one.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Offensive genius. In the 80s, football was undergoing a transformation, with hyper-athletic defensive linemen giving defenses an upper hand and making a pass-only quarterback a liability. Defenses had offenses outnumbers 11-10. Spurrier altered that, not by turning the QB into a running back (that would come later, with spread offenses), but by using precision routes plus precision passes to force the secondary into adding another DB on every play or suffer the consequences. I don't know that there was ever as perfect a play as a Danny Wuerffel fade to the corner of the end zone.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fun thread and some great posts.

I’ll add: his amazing smack talk and natural way of rubbing our opponent’s nose in it. He just had no problem calling it how he saw it. Including the Gators. I was at the game where we punted on something like 3rd and 50. Still makes me chuckle.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
You could be right. This game amounts to a critical checkpoint. I'm not used to saying that about games in Lexington, but it applies with this one.
Completely agree. If this team does not go into tonight on a mission to dismantle the Wildcats then they have no heart and soul. It better be a blowout. This is a pivot point for the program.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier against Kentucky. It includes some the gaudiest numbers we've seen as well as the Wuerffel-to-Doering game-saving TD in Lex in '93.

42f4402f64b781e6559a45c7c1a4a69e.jpg

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Obviously you have to back up attitude and mindset with coaching but in a book about Spurrier years ago he was quoted as saying one of his first priorities was to get the coaches, team and even fans to stop looking at the lsu auburn Georgia trifecta as one impossible event. He systematicaly destroyed that notion...well...except auburn for a couple of years but his record against them was amazing. Some well say they were down but I think Spurrier contributed to that.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
While others have already mentioned some of the reasons the HBC was such a great coach for us, there's one that I don't believe anyone has really described yet: his swagger. I truly believe in his mind, Spurrier still sees himself as the reigning Heisman trophy winning QB from the University of Florida to this very day. And that mindset bled into his manner of coaching. He coached as if he were still the Gators QB. He didn't just simply read the defense. I think he mentally saw himself in the pocket on field. All of his QBs were basically just extensions of himself, and it made him the greatest offensive play caller I have ever seen. His offenses had a rhythm that were just beautiful.

Also, Spurrier wasn't just a coach for UF. He was one of us. Add to that the fact that we were starved for success, especially since we felt like most of the decade prior to his arrival was stolen from us. It was the perfect combination.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
While others have already mentioned some of the reasons the HBC was such a great coach for us, there's one that I don't believe anyone has really described yet: his swagger. I truly believe in his mind, Spurrier still sees himself as the reigning Heisman trophy winning QB from the University of Florida to this very day. And that mindset bled into his manner of coaching. He coached as if he were still the Gators QB. He didn't just simply read the defense. I think he mentally saw himself in the pocket on field. All of his QBs were basically just extensions of himself, and it made him the greatest offensive play caller I have ever seen. His offenses had a rhythm that were just beautiful.

Also, Spurrier wasn't just a coach for UF. He was one of us. Add to that the fact that we were starved for success, especially since we felt like most of the decade prior to his arrival was stolen from us. It was the perfect combination.
Great post.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He’s the whole reason I became a Gator fan...that guy was and is awesome...nobody will ever come close. He was just the right guy at the right time too.

I always said if we’re gonna keep ****ing around with **** coaches I’d have rather hired Leach...closest thing to spurrier you could get but just would never win championships

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.