What makes a "good" recruiter?

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Signing Day has produced much conversation about programs that have "good recruiters". And some assessments that the new UF staff doesn't have many (any) good recruiters.

Could someone elaborate on what makes a coach a good recruiter at a major program? What attributes, talents or skill sets do they possess?

Are they just good salesmen? Do they make others feel comfortable in their company? Are they hip with the young culture lingo? Is it just about working hard? I believe the concept in the sales field is "make the calls". Pick up the phone, knock on the door, be persistent above all else.

It would be helpful to have some idea of the things that are quantifiable as opposed to some ethereal idea that Team X has "great recruiters".

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Being in sales, I can say what my opinion is of a good sales person....and being a good recruiter is to me exactly sales. With all things considered equal (facilities, academics, etc), it comes down to trust. Do you trust the person and what they are selling. A good recruiter is somone who knows what motivates that particular individual. Is it education, early playing time, development for the NFL, etc. Every recruit is different and a good recruiter has to be able to ascertain what are the hot buttons and then deliver that message in a truthful manner and most importantly NOT sound like you are selling anything. IMO.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Its one thing to recruit good but its another thing to coach up and develop those recruits!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Signing Day has produced much conversation about programs that have "good recruiters". And some assessments that the new UF staff doesn't have many (any) good recruiters.

Could someone elaborate on what makes a coach a good recruiter at a major program? What attributes, talents or skill sets do they possess?

Are they just good salesmen? Do they make others feel comfortable in their company? Are they hip with the young culture lingo? Is it just about working hard? I believe the concept in the sales field is "make the calls". Pick up the phone, knock on the door, be persistent above all else.

It would be helpful to have some idea of the things that are quantifiable as opposed to some ethereal idea that Team X has "great recruiters".
All of those things you listed are necessary in order to be a good recruiter; its not one, its the full combination. And as someone mentioned, you need to be able to do it without seeming like you are trying, its forced, its fake, and you have to make them feel comfortable and trust what you are telling them. Sounds like a lot of work to me...

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
What is, is?
giphy.gif

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
You know, this is a fair question. Exactly what metrics go into determining the recruiter rankings? Is it all based on average stars signed? Or do they adjust based on relationships built with powerhouse high schools/coaches (how many recruits they nab from such places/people), how many of their recruits qualify, how many actually stick at the school, how many become quality starters, etc? I know it'd be difficult to gain reliable data on some of this, but its still relevant.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You know, this is a fair question. Exactly what metrics go into determining the recruiter rankings? Is it all based on average stars signed? Or do they adjust based on relationships built with powerhouse high schools/coaches (how many recruits they nab from such places/people), how many of their recruits qualify, how many actually stick at the school, how many become quality starters, etc? I know it'd be difficult to gain reliable data on some of this, but its still relevant.

The "recruiter" rankings are based entirely on the kids that the coach/recruiter were responsible for and signed. Which is one way of doing it, obviously.

The fact is, it's easy to recruit at Ohio State and Alabama....and now UGA and Clemson. How about a coach that pulls a top 300 recruit to sign w/ Kentucky or Vanderbilt? How about the Princeton coach who hung onto the 4-star QB that Alabama came after late in the game? How about the recruiter who signed a 4-star to play at Boise, or Wake Forest, or UCF? Those are tough sells and much more difficult than a coach working at Alabama who has a team of 30 college kids doing all the work for him...

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not certain what makes a good recruiter, but I have an idea of what a poor one is like...

images

I don't know how to quantify it, but being able to "relate" to the prospects has to be a quality. A tactic such as having a recruit on a visit summoned to the stairwell so that the HC can tell him "We're really glad you're here!" and then fleeing the scene and leaving the recruit to tell his dad that "I think he's retarded!" likely isn't a pro move. Unless you're looking specifically for awkward kids.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think the good recruiters are the ones that are able to build relationships with recruits and parents and sell the vision of the program (again at both the parent and recruit level).

I think they are the guys that listen to what the recruit and family is actually saying and builds their sales pitch around those areas. Are you focused on getting to the NFL? Is education the most important thing? What about culture while on campus...?

There are probably guys that have one sales pitch and no matter what somebody says that is what they sell... then there are the Nick Saban's of the world who most likely listen to the specific concerns and present a vision to both parents and players that address those specific concerns.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Probably "results" is the metric that they use. Some great attributes here, I might add good relationships with coaches of high schools with lots of talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb