What paperwork do you still keep at home?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This could probably go in the "Kids these days will never know thread".... but the massive amount of paperwork that us older organized people have kept over the years. Over the past week, I have gathered a staggering amount of paperwork at home that will go into a semitruck sized paper shredder that visits the office once a month. Bank statements, CC statements, receipts, etc, etc,. Just reams and reams of useless paperwork. It's ALL online now! All I know is it feels really good to get rid of this stuff.

I organized it down to:
A single file with some physical cards. We dont carry all of them. Could go into the safe.
A single file with some very basic bank info. Could also probably go into safe.
A single file for each vehicle. Dont really know why.
A single file with a single statement for any kind of house vendor or service guy we have used and would use again (septic guy, electrician, AC, etc, etc)
A single file with a single statement for every utility (just to keep a 1-800 number and account number handy)
All of the above takes up almost no space.

I kept user guides for major purchases (appliances, generators, pool equipment, etc). This is the bulk of existing remaining paper.

Then I have some weird stuff I just dont know why I keep.
Contract agreements for previous employments for both wife and me. I have no idea why.
College transcripts for both wife and me. No clue why.
All past mortgages. No clue why.

Of course I have a safe with really important stuff: passports, SS cards, birth certificates, tax info, health info, life insurance, accounts, etc.

What do you keep and why?

I wonder what Dr. Rick would say?
Dr_Rick.png

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
When the blimp delivered EMP fries our infrastructure you're gonna wish you had more paper for kindling!!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Please tell me you kept the coffee cans full of miscellaneous screws and bolts and washers and nuts in the garage.
I kinda do, but disclaimer: no coffee cans, but I do still have some random little glass jars of nails 'n schit that were from my mom and dad's house 30 years ago :lol:

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
This could probably go in the "Kids these days will never know thread".... but the massive amount of paperwork that us older organized people have kept over the years. Over the past week, I have gathered a staggering amount of paperwork at home that will go into a semitruck sized paper shredder that visits the office once a month. Bank statements, CC statements, receipts, etc, etc,. Just reams and reams of useless paperwork. It's ALL online now! All I know is it feels really good to get rid of this stuff.

I organized it down to:
A single file with some physical cards. We dont carry all of them. Could go into the safe.
A single file with some very basic bank info. Could also probably go into safe.
A single file for each vehicle. Dont really know why.
A single file with a single statement for any kind of house vendor or service guy we have used and would use again (septic guy, electrician, AC, etc, etc)
A single file with a single statement for every utility (just to keep a 1-800 number and account number handy)
All of the above takes up almost no space.

I kept user guides for major purchases (appliances, generators, pool equipment, etc). This is the bulk of existing remaining paper.

Then I have some weird stuff I just dont know why I keep.
Contract agreements for previous employments for both wife and me. I have no idea why.
College transcripts for both wife and me. No clue why.
All past mortgages. No clue why.

Of course I have a safe with really important stuff: passports, SS cards, birth certificates, tax info, health info, life insurance, accounts, etc.

What do you keep and why?

I wonder what Dr. Rick would say?
Dr_Rick.png

1677342753118.png

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Please tell me you kept the coffee cans full of miscellaneous screws and bolts and washers and nuts in the garage.
Bought a 1977 Ford LTD new. Had miscellaneous rattles for about a year. Since I was in Michigan at the time, I took the seat and carpet out to wash the salt from the pans. Discovered about 2 pounds of body fasteners and bolts in the pans. Removed them and the rattles went away. Still have the fasteners in a drawer in the garage. Never can tell. (Found out later that end of shift employees dumped their excess fasteners rather than take them back to the parts room.)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
@bradgator2

On the serious side, very similar:
  • In my home office filing cabinet, I have one row of "home files":
    • For every account (banks, credit cards, investment accounts, insurance type (car, home, life, umbrella...), utility, exterminator...) there is a file, but only has "last month" statement (shred and replace each month) and any paperwork related to current year (like current policy packet)
    • A file for current year medical receipts.
    • A file for each car with only service records type stuff.
    • A couple of other "home" type files like you mentioned for pool stuff, repairs (like roof/appliances),...
  • In the safe (which is also fireproof), a fireproof box that I would grab in a fire if possible and has:
    • All the REALLY important paperwork (birth/marriage certificates, current and old passports (was a blessing we had all the old/expired passports for kids when daughter went through background check for TS clearance this past year), car/land titles.
    • Stuff in case one or both of us die: will/trust type paperwork, life insurance info, usb drive with all account info/login/password info.
    • Back up of wife's computer (400 trillion pictures).
    • Back up of my work laptop.
  • In cabinet above safe there are a couple of "bankers" type cardboard file boxes. One has personal/business tax stuff going back required number of years, one has all the manuals for household schit like you talked about, one has files for our other properties.
fk.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bought a 1977 Ford LTD new. Had miscellaneous rattles for about a year. Since I was in Michigan at the time, I took the seat and carpet out to wash the salt from the pans. Discovered about 2 pounds of body fasteners and bolts in the pans. Removed them and the rattles went away. Still have the fasteners in a drawer in the garage. Never can tell. (Found out later that end of shift employees dumped their excess fasteners rather than take them back to the parts room.)
Regarding stories like this...
Letterkenny GIF by Crave

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Detroitgator In years past, I was super careful with saving all healthcare receipts. Between the amazing online account with health insurance and the fact that we pay every expense through an HSA (which also has an incredible online account)…. this is one of those of “paper files” that was the first to go “all online” for me.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Detroitgator In years past, I was super careful with saving all healthcare receipts. Between the amazing online account with health insurance and the fact that we pay every expense through an HSA (which also has an incredible online account)…. this is one of those of “paper files” that was the first to go “all online” for me.

Same. Tax documents are filed, though they’re even all in Canopy. Other than that, SS cards, a few home related docs and a handful of financial items. Nothing health related for the reasons you mentioned.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In addition to the standard banking info, 7 years of tax returns, and herd info (cattle), I also have dossiers on questionables and subversives. Several of you are in there. You know who you are. But no moms. They’re in the safety deposit box.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Going through the safe today.

Any reason to keep an old passport?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online