What Should Determine Napier's Success?

What's acceptable for Napier's first 3 years?

• National Championship

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • SEC Championship

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • College Play-off

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Top 5 Recruiting

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Exciting Football...What ever that means?

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Disciplined Football with a good shot at the Play-offs

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Champions of life

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
When giving advice to clients, family, or friends...I first like them to determine their objectives?

So, GC...What's the objective for UF Football? ....Excitement?, Championships? Discipline? Rankings? Grades? Graduation? # in the NFL?

And how long do we give the coach to reach those goals? Now ?, 1 Yr? 2 Yrs, 3 Yrs?...

I contend, he has 3 years to produce a very good, efficient team that is in the running for the play-offs ever year barring injury. And if the play-offs are expanded...TOP 5.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm more patient than most and enjoy a brand of football that I'm used to seeing my Gators play that was created by (Galen hall and) Steve Spurrier. Because of that, I'd consider a new coach to be successful if his team played disciplined football and competed for play-off games. The icing on the cake would be SEC appearances and the sprinkles on top of the icing would be Natty appearances.

But, having said all the above, I have tempered my expectations to be more conservative than most and merely want to see us be competitive and NOT an embarrassment.

While interesting theater, I'd prefer to NOT see coeds murdered or fights on the bus or shoes being thrown or home crowds getting shushed or my head coach tearing the ass out of a player on the sideline. I also want my head coaches to be normal. I don't need to see crying or antacid bottles littering the sideline or them wearing no socks or leading our team down University Avenue as if they're rival gang members like the Jets vs the Sharks in West Side Story. I want my head coach to be almost boring and not try to steal the limelight. A nice quip regarding our opponents ineptness would be fine, or a small shot across the bow regarding their library burning down is ok, or a succinct teaching on modern lexicon regarding ways to spell words using the initials of our opponents is also acceptable.

But just win baby.

:chomp:

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I mean what's the point? National championship gets all the other options. Except maybe champions at life.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
What I find interesting are those that pick Top 5 recruiting? I thought the objective of recruiting was to obtain one of the other goals...ie Winning and Titles

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I just want to go into a season knowing that with the right breaks, we could possibly win it all, and those hopes aren’t ruined by week 5.

If we are consistently in the playoff picture by the fsu game, I’m good.

And, BEAT JAWJA!!!!

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Win a hell of a lot more than we lose.

Have players that play with passion and look like they have been Coached well

Beat the living hell out of Fl St. annually

Get back to the upper tier of the SEC

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I want to see a team that competes to the last whistle no team should ever blow us out. We are the university of Florida and teams should fear playing us again.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good team, run a good program, croot well, no bull shyt taking and just blow up the competition. Everything else will work itself out if you do that.
1657293793496.gif

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
It's a very difficult thing to determine. SOOOOOOOOOOOO many variables.

As an engineer, and a 40+ Year long Gator, I've collected most of the important variables, unknowns and known, and used the best AI available to come up with an extremely complicated prediction matrix that produces great results over 195% of the time.

Year 1. BEAT THE LEGHUMPERS.

Year 2. BEAT THE LEGHUMPERS.

Year 3. BEAT THE LEGHUMPERS.

If the program can do that ... the rest will take care of itself.

its just that simple dan aykroyd GIF by Saturday Night Live

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
When giving advice to clients, family, or friends...I first like them to determine their objectives?

So, GC...What's the objective for UF Football? ....Excitement?, Championships? Discipline? Rankings? Grades? Graduation? # in the NFL?

And how long do we give the coach to reach those goals? Now ?, 1 Yr? 2 Yrs, 3 Yrs?...

I contend, he has 3 years to produce a very good, efficient team that is in the running for the play-offs ever year barring injury. And if the play-offs are expanded...TOP 5.
You left out the most important criteria, 5 year graduation rate from STEM disciplines.

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
The poll says "3 years," so starting there I'd say we need to be at a point where we're a legitimate playoff contender without any obvious flaws. That means winning the East at least once within that three year span, averaging at least 9-10 regular season wins in years 2 and 3, looking extremely competitive in or winning the SECCG, and not dropping games we shouldn't. I don't think Napier pulls that off without top-5 recruiting, so that folds in as well. Finally, we need to carry that momentum forward, not be a flash in the pan like 2020.

All of that is not the standard at UF, but it's righting the ship. He needs to win a National Championship within 5-6 years to align with the standard, in my mind. That's how I'd define success.

After that point, we need to keep up momentum and be a perennial contender. That's a ways down the road, though, so thinking about it now is premature.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
It's a very difficult thing to determine. SOOOOOOOOOOOO many variables.

As an engineer, and a 40+ Year long Gator, I've collected most of the important variables, unknowns and known, and used the best AI available to come up with an extremely complicated prediction matrix that produces great results over 195% of the time.

Year 1. BEAT THE LEGHUMPERS.

Year 2. BEAT THE LEGHUMPERS.

Year 3. BEAT THE LEGHUMPERS.

If the program can do that ... the rest will take care of itself.

its just that simple dan aykroyd GIF by Saturday Night Live
Somewhere in the top 3 should be humiliate the girls school.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Somewhere in the top 3 should be humiliate the girls school.
Not in our conference. (Yet)

Besides ... beating the snot out of the girls school is a given if the other requirement is met.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Beat the leg humping ******s.

It’s a much heavier task than any of our previous coaches have faced, but history says it’s the best indicator to a coach’s long term success here. To me it’s an indication that they understand the magnitude of the game as well as the implications of what it means for the season. Spurrier and Meyer both got it and put an emphasis on that game to set the tone for their tenures. Even Zook coached lights out in 2002. McElwain got Richt on his way out and a walk-on safety making his first start at QB for uga, but sure, he technically won. WM and Mullen both lost and it was the biggest black eye of their seasons. There simply can’t be a great season that includes a loss in Jax. It killed 2012, rained on Tebow’s Heisman year, likely keeps Spurrier awake at night thinking of ‘97, and has been the official death blow for several coaches.

As I said, it’s a different animal and I don’t mean to imply that BN would be in trouble for losing to this brand of uga, especially this season. But a win would put him in a unique category, and a loss would hurt.

To the initial question, there is no one thing that will define success for him, and certainly not this season. If he’s building the program, and signs are visible, I’m good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb