What Should Determine Napier's Success?

What's acceptable for Napier's first 3 years?

• National Championship

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • SEC Championship

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • College Play-off

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Top 5 Recruiting

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Exciting Football...What ever that means?

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Disciplined Football with a good shot at the Play-offs

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Champions of life

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Winning is all that matters along with all those things (recruiting, discipline, etc) that facilitate winning.

Honestly, what I don’t care about is academic performance because 80-90% of the players don’t either so why worry about things that lead to championships?
I have yet to hear any real discussion about the academic performance of Saban’s Alabama teams so why worry?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Winning is all that matters along with all those things (recruiting, discipline, etc) that facilitate winning.

Honestly, what I don’t care about is academic performance because 80-90% of the players don’t either so why worry about things that lead to championships?
I have yet to hear any real discussion about the academic performance of Saban’s Alabama teams so why worry?
Cause you know "student athletes". The purpose of college athletics. The goal of an elite university. No big thing.

blueGATOR

Banned
BANNED
Jul 1, 2022
We need to produce more NFL draft prospects again that in turn will make the win % go way up. Plus the chances of winning a natty.
we also need a new cutting edge offensive scheme like in SS and Urban Meyer days.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

My issue with academics...it's apples and oranges. Especially at schools like UF...most had no chance of acceptance without sports...Hats off to those who do...to play sports and go on to become doctors, engineers, etc...now that's impressive.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For me it's always been pretty simple. Recruit top 5 classes consistently. Don't lose to the SC, Vandy, UK, Mizzou, UT type teams... EVER, and things tend to fall into place.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
For me it's always been pretty simple. Recruit top 5 classes consistently. Don't lose to the SC, Vandy, UK, Mizzou, UT type teams... EVER, and things tend to fall into place.

And ironically, those two things go hand-in-hand. The only reason we lose to a team on that list is self inflicted recruiting errors. When people ask me what happened with Mullen, that’s the first thing I point to. When the class difference between you and those teams mentioned above is minimal, you will find yourself in a dogfight way too often. Find yourself in a dogfight quite often, eventually you will lose. It’s that simple.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
And ironically, those two things go hand-in-hand. The only reason we lose to a team on that list is self inflicted recruiting errors. When people ask me what happened with Mullen, that’s the first thing I point to. When the class difference between you and those teams mentioned above is minimal, you will find yourself in a dogfight way too often. Find yourself in a dogfight quite often, eventually you will lose. It’s that simple.
I heard from ARs trainer that Napier had to mend relationships with guys like Stokes...Mullen seemed to not be bothered...Guys who considered UF their dream school...so Napier has had an uphill battle...ex IMG Academy...HS recruits took a wait and see...hence the slow start.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I heard from ARs trainer that Napier had to mend relationships with guys like Stokes...Mullen seemed to not be bothered...Guys who considered UF their dream school...so Napier has had an uphill battle...ex IMG Academy...HS recruits took a wait and see...hence the slow start.

I mentioned that in the recruiting thread. There is no question that some relationships have needed to be mended. And I don’t think Napier is under the illusion that classes range between 10 and 20 who also experience a ton of attrition through poor evaluation will cut it. I excused to a degree Mullins 2018 Kentucky los because of the previous regime. Same here. We will lose some games this year and the next because of Mullen. I just don’t see that going forward.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I mentioned that in the recruiting thread. There is no question that some relationships have needed to be mended. And I don’t think Napier is under the illusion that classes range between 10 and 20 who also experience a ton of attrition through poor evaluation will cut it. I excused to a degree Mullins 2018 Kentucky los because of the previous regime. Same here. We will lose some games this year and the next because of Mullen. I just don’t see that going forward.
Spot on...he is way too detailed...
Mullen was lazy. I think when he was OC...it was Urban who recruited. All he had to do was call an offense with loads of talent...plus a defense with a good DC and played lights out.
Not to mention very special special teams.
Who couldn't win with Leak, Tebow, and enough speed to complete in 4×100 on a world stage.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Undefeated season
Heisman winner
National Championship

I want these to happen, at least, once every four years.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Top 5 ain't good enough. The top tier is 2-3 teams and then it's a big drop off. The goal is to be the best team in the SEC. SEC champion is essentially National Champion.

I think the offense will be more air happy than most expect. I doubt any offense can be as bad as Chump's but if it resembles his offense I'll do what I did then. I won't waste my time watching the games.

If he doesn't win the SEC by year three then we will have to eval why. Likely recruiting. So the question will be is it because the money isn't there (not Under Napier's control) or is there a flaw in Napier's process.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
When giving advice to clients, family, or friends...I first like them to determine their objectives?

So, GC...What's the objective for UF Football? ....Excitement?, Championships? Discipline? Rankings? Grades? Graduation? # in the NFL?

And how long do we give the coach to reach those goals? Now ?, 1 Yr? 2 Yrs, 3 Yrs?...

I contend, he has 3 years to produce a very good, efficient team that is in the running for the play-offs ever year barring injury. And if the play-offs are expanded...TOP 5.
Overall objective: Winning mentality at all costs
Coach leash= 2 yrs to get to 10+ seasonal wins

Jun 2, 2015
Natty’s. Anything less is a failed season.
I had never heard your coach's name & was totally unfamiliar with him, etc. That really doesn't mean anything. I think back years ago when Jimmy Johnson became our coach & I had never heard his name & basically only thought the Univ. had gotten a cheap coach....and the rest is history. You may hopefully have a diamond in the rough - Don't judge by how he does the 1st year....I think Jimmy only won two games, but by year 3 we began to become a pretty good team & hopefully this will be your team's path also. JJ & Spurrier were similar in that they were both brash and said exactly what they thought & both were excellent coaches & had total control of their team.

blueGATOR

Banned
BANNED
Jul 1, 2022
I had never heard your coach's name & was totally unfamiliar with him, etc. That really doesn't mean anything. I think back years ago when Jimmy Johnson became our coach & I had never heard his name & basically only thought the Univ. had gotten a cheap coach....and the rest is history. You may hopefully have a diamond in the rough - Don't judge by how he does the 1st year....I think Jimmy only won two games, but by year 3 we began to become a pretty good team & hopefully this will be your team's path also. JJ & Spurrier were similar in that they were both brash and said exactly what they thought & both were excellent coaches & had total control of their team.
JJ was a straight dog. What he did at Miami then with the cowboys was fcukin legendary. Butch Davis should have never left Miami in 00. That allowed UF to take over the 2010s era. Crazy bro

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

@daytonacane...I like your take....BUT... totally.... HATE, DESPISE, RETCH at your suck AVATAR

1658412261628.png
But there is forgiveness..."forgive them for they know not what they know"

Have a blessed day.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
A lot of people think I'm a pessimist, but I'm not. I just worst case plan, then any outcome greater than that is winning. So on that note, I'm sticking with the following for my first measure of success:

The day we no longer say, "Well, depending on the Oline, we will... :blahblah: "

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.