What was your passion growing up

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Glad to hear I’m not the only one like that. It’s extremely hard for me to sit and watch an entire movie from start to finish. And if I do, it’s the same 5-10 movies over and over again. I just don’t like most of what’s come out over the last 20 years. If I do watch something new, within the first 30 min I’ll typically Wikipedia it to see how it ends and then move on to something more productive.

same. And it’s pretty much just Tarantino movies. And Predator, The Last Samurai, and Shawshank.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
same. And it’s pretty much just Tarantino movies. And Predator, The Last Samurai, and Shawshank.

Perfect irony. I’ve seen very few Tarantino’s, only the beginning of Predator 2 for the boob scene when I was early teens(case in point), and neither of the last two. Yes, I know. My “never seen it” list probably rivals the average North Korean.

In my “box”, it’s Rocky, Rocky 2, Godfather, Godfather 2, Goodfellas, most Star Wars, Hangover, Wedding Crashers, When Harry Met Sally and Wall Street.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@soflagator and @bradgator2
I’m glad to know there are others that watch a few good movies over and again. I can watch The Godfather and Pulp Fiction anytime. True Grit and The Shootist are in the loop along with Road to Perdition, Bladerunner (the original), Papillon, The Sand Pebbles, and Hard Times (Bronson). TV-wise it’s Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke.

I can also appreciate Brad’s reference to setting up the army men and shooting them with the BB guns. On rainy days we’d set them up inside and use tin foil balls. Each person got four throws after which we’d do a “body count” to see who came out on top. Good clean fun back in the day and so far it hasn’t led me to a life of murder and mayhem.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’m glad to know there are others that watch a few good movies over and again. I can watch The Godfather and Pulp Fiction anytime. True Grit and The Shootist are in the loop along with Road to Perdition, Bladerunner (the original), Papillon, The Sand Pebbles, and Hard Times (Bronson). TV-wise it’s Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke.

I can also appreciate Brad’s reference to setting up the army men and shooting them with the BB guns. On rainy days we’d set them up inside and use tin foil balls. Each person got four throws after which we’d do a “body count” to see who came out on top. Good clean fun back in the day and so far it hasn’t led me to a life of murder and mayhem.
@bradgator2 @cover2
We'd set up the army men on the floor, then take a green lincoln log plank, put it on a Lincoln log "single" (picture a see-saw), put another "single" on the down end of the plank, then smack the up end to launch like a catapult and artillery the army men to death... And yes, we'd bb gun them and plastic models too... We even did a "sinking of the Bismarck" film in 8mm

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

So far. School hasn’t reopened yet following a 5+ month layoff. :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So far. School hasn’t reopened yet following a 5+ month layoff. :lol:
You’re right, that could be a problem. But I’m getting prepared for when we do go back. A little more of a no-nonsense approach. I’ll have to be careful though, as I’ve been known to cut up in a faculty meeting by responding to questions with “You talkin’ to me?!” Not sure how that goes over with my new pandemic cut.

upload_2020-4-11_20-28-30.jpeg

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Glad to hear I’m not the only one like that. It’s extremely hard for me to sit and watch an entire movie from start to finish. And if I do, it’s the same 5-10 movies over and over again. I just don’t like most of what’s come out over the last 20 years. If I do watch something new, within the first 30 min I’ll typically Wikipedia it to see how it ends and then move on to something more productive.
Some of mine? Matrix and Loopers

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Baseball, always baseball growing up . If I wasn’t out at a field playing ball then I was tossing a tennis ball in the air and hitting it across the street in the morning . Often times without pants, but hey I was only five or six at that time. Grew up a yanks fan and they’ve been my guys ever since . When we moved to Atlanta the braves became my NL team . Watching the yanks and braves in the World Series with the unveiling of the all century team is one of the best memories I have of just me and my dad .

I didn’t play football until seventh grade . I wanted to in sixth , but my mother had to be talked into it. Took the old man a year to do so I guess. I can recall flipping on the television on a fall afternoon in 1996 .
I saw a team in orange and blue take the field . The fans were loud, and making life hell for the opponent .The QB threw the ball all around the yard and this team just relentlessly beat the **** out of everyone they played . The coach was cocky and the players played with a swagger that they knew the other team was going home black and blue .
I fell in love with gator football.

I was a safety . Decent wheels and ball skills.
Shortstop when I wasn’t on the mound. I was better at baseball , but enjoyed high school football more than high school baseball . This despite our baseball team being far better with numerous guys that got drafted including a catcher that played in the bigs for north of a decade . Our football team had no one that would sniff a D1 offer . But it was still a more enjoyable experience on the gridiron than the diamond .

The following is a true story that happened in the fall of 2000. I was a junior in high school. Our base was a 4-4 and mostly a cover three scheme . This was mainly by design . More defenders available against the run as well . Deep third for the corners while I play center field . The LB are to drop into curl to flat zones after first step forward . Teams didn’t throw the ball much back then in high school . Some more than others , but easily 4 to 1 run plays .

Q3 we are down two scores . The call comes in . Rover drop, safety crash , cover 3. This didn’t make any sense to me . I’ve never been on a blitz in my life . We had the call but never practiced it outside walk throughs. The rover is essentially a walk up safety playing linebacker . It’s his job to essentially replace me at safety as I come on the crash from what was the field side .

The backs are in an offset eye to the strong side (field). I walk up to the outside of the sam. Shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage as the QB goes under center. I’m looking down at the ball and sprint five yards out as it’s snapped . The tackle engages our end . The fullback is the star player on the other team, who happens to be an all state DT as well. It’s a play action and he’s in pass pro. He doesn’t have the leverage though, as he’s too close to the LOS .

He extends his arms , giving me a blow on the inside shoulder . My outside arm free, it’s too late for him. He knows he’s beat . The QB has his tailback in the flat on the boundary . But he has bigger fish to fry downfield . In a dead sprint I drill the son of a bitch in the back .Boom, head jerks in a blind side sack fumble that our DT falls on. The all state FB/DT was
a guy named David Pollack. He was gatorbait and the bastard didn’t even know it yet .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Baseball, always baseball growing up . If I wasn’t out at a field playing ball then I was tossing a tennis ball in the air and hitting it across the street in the morning . Often times without pants, but hey I was only five or six at that time. Grew up a yanks fan and they’ve been my guys ever since . When we moved to Atlanta the braves became my NL team . Watching the yanks and braves in the World Series with the unveiling of the all century team is one of the best memories I have of just me and my dad .

I didn’t play football until seventh grade . I wanted to in sixth , but my mother had to be talked into it. Took the old man a year to do so I guess. I can recall flipping on the television on a fall afternoon in 1996 .
I saw a team in orange and blue take the field . The fans were loud, and making life hell for the opponent .The QB threw the ball all around the yard and this team just relentlessly beat the **** out of everyone they played . The coach was cocky and the players played with a swagger that they knew the other team was going home black and blue .
I fell in love with gator football.

I was a safety . Decent wheels and ball skills.
Shortstop when I wasn’t on the mound. I was better at baseball , but enjoyed high school football more than high school baseball . This despite our baseball team being far better with numerous guys that got drafted including a catcher that played in the bigs for north of a decade . Our football team had no one that would sniff a D1 offer . But it was still a more enjoyable experience on the gridiron than the diamond .

The following is a true story that happened in the fall of 2000. I was a junior in high school. Our base was a 4-4 and mostly a cover three scheme . This was mainly by design . More defenders available against the run as well . Deep third for the corners while I play center field . The LB are to drop into curl to flat zones after first step forward . Teams didn’t throw the ball much back then in high school . Some more than others , but easily 4 to 1 run plays .

Q3 we are down two scores . The call comes in . Rover drop, safety crash , cover 3. This didn’t make any sense to me . I’ve never been on a blitz in my life . We had the call but never practiced it outside walk throughs. The rover is essentially a walk up safety playing linebacker . It’s his job to essentially replace me at safety as I come on the crash from what was the field side .

The backs are in an offset eye to the strong side (field). I walk up to the outside of the sam. Shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage as the QB goes under center. I’m looking down at the ball and sprint five yards out as it’s snapped . The tackle engages our end . The fullback is the star player on the other team, who happens to be an all state DT as well. It’s a play action and he’s in pass pro. He doesn’t have the leverage though, as he’s too close to the LOS .

He extends his arms , giving me a blow on the inside shoulder . My outside arm free, it’s too late for him. He knows he’s beat . The QB has his tailback in the flat on the boundary . But he has bigger fish to fry downfield . In a dead sprint I drill the son of a ***** in the back .Boom, head jerks in a blind side sack fumble that our DT falls on. The all state FB/DT was
a guy named David Pollack. He was gatorbait and the bastard didn’t even know it yet .

Possibly a Top 5 GCMB story. Well done.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Basketball. Played it everyday of my life for as long I could. The knees are shot. 7 operations and 1 total reconstruction. But well into my 50’s I was still running full court with high school teams. Unlike the early days where I imagined myself as a Pistol Pete or Ernie DiGregorio point guard I became a shooter. On God I can tell you up until very recently I could outshoot any of my players. Ran shooting camps for years.

Just love the game.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Basketball. Played it everyday of my life for as long I could. The knees are shot. 7 operations and 1 total reconstruction. But well into my 50’s I was still running full court with high school teams. Unlike the early days where I imagined myself as a Pistol Pete or Ernie DiGregorio point guard I became a shooter. On God I can tell you up until very recently I could outshoot any of my players. Ran shooting camps for years.

Just love the game.
As I read this, and while looking at your avatar, I was just thinking, "there's a Great Santini joke in here somewhere!" ;)

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
As I read this, and while looking at your avatar, I was just thinking, "there's a Great Santini joke in here somewhere!" ;)

Funny thing, my siblings and I have always said that movie could have been made with my father. He was a career Marine and had many similarities to the Robert Duval character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.