1. Guest, LAST DAY: Lifetime Memberships are only $50! Give one as a gift!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Posts in Thread: What was your Uh-Oh Moment in the Mac Era?

1. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $10,039
    Ratings:
    +15,693 / -47
    There were several, but what cemented for me the notion that he was not it was the continued poor fundamentals on display each week. Missed tackles and blocking assignments, blown coverages, poor pursuit angles, etc. There was no noticeable positive or consistent changes in these areas. You don't have to be a guru to teach and reinforce proper football fundamentals and technique. Without those factors in place, you can forget consistent and effective execution...which is essentially what he did. The guy was not a football coach; rather, he was...

upload_2017-10-31_10-20-9.jpeg

Came here promising gold, but delivered dog crap.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey 2-8 in the last 10 P5 games
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $71,065
      Ratings:
      +109,291 / -7,566
      The second recruiting class. I really thought he did OK trying to fight the brushfire on the first class, grabbed OL everywhere he could, and I really wasn't that concerned that the O looked like a hot mess given what was left.

But the second recruiting class is supposed to be that big one that sets the stage for the big second year. And yet... we got Mark Thompson and a #17 class.

At that point, the rebuilding was going to be several years down the road when we struggled with that. Many rumors already leaking that Butters just didn't have it and wasn't particularly energetic in recruiting.

I was pretty sure it was over then but the second year offense sealed it.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $25,898
        Ratings:
        +36,889 / -555
        Overtime vs. 3-9 FAU.

If FAU was 8-1 or so coming into that game it still would have been a head scratcher. The UF's of the CFB World simply DO NOT go to overtime vs. teams like that. It was very Muschamp-esque (the Jacksonville State game or Georgia Southern, for example). Pumpers had a million excuses lined up. But at that moment, I said, "this guy is a bust". Then he goes on to get BLOWN the F OUT by FSU, Bama, and Michigan. And the Michigan game really pissed me off.

• Captain Sasquatch

Captain Sasquatch Mr. SQ, the Sashole
          BANNED

Oxbucks:
          $10,917
          Ratings:
          +20,651 / -1,026
          I had a lot of head scratcher moments. SQ already mentioned the Tampa Gator Club meeting in which he hemmed and hawed his way throgh a variety of questions and never answered a single one directly when he was being faced with a LOT of people who were responsible for a chunk of that cash he was about to earn. But I thought ok, he's playing things close to the vest, I get it.

The Kelvin Taylor thing never bothered me. I saw it as Mac making an example of a star player acting like an idiot and costing us yards/points. There was one time in my high school playing days (junior year) I celebrated a little too much after a touchdown and the OC lit into me so hard I had to use a bulldozer to dig my way back out of the smoking crater he left me behind in. And guess what? I behaved after that (until I was a senior). :lol:

My first real "uh oh" moment was FAU. Even with terrible Treon, we should have smoked them. Then we got annihilated at home by FSU the next week. The Bama blowout didn't bother me because hello, it's Bama. The bowl game against Michigan didn't bother me, either, as bowl games don't mean sh*t to me. They're fun to watch, I just don't put much stock in them. Hell, we boat raced Iowa last year and look where we are this year.

Then the Tennessee comeback happened, but they had that "team of destiny" thing going on early last year, so maybe we just caught them at the wrong time. The real cracks in the ice started at Arkansas. You don't come off a solid win against UGA by laying an egg against a garbage team with a garbage coach like that. And we weren't even competitive. That was the worst part. But once again, he saved face by beating LSU. And then once again, he got embarrassed by FSU and Bama in back to back weeks.

This year, I was on the edge after Michigan and scraping by Kentucky, especially after he was blubbering and almost in tears after needing two uncovered receivers to beat UK. SQ was done after UK. LSU did me in (as seen in the horsesh*t thread I posted). Throwing the team under the bus after TAMU just reaffirmed my stance. The guy could just never build off any momentum he had built up. He'd take a step forward, you'd think the offense was improving, and then a week later, take four steps back, all the while never taking on any responsibility himself until he knew his goose was cooked after the UGA debacle. That was at least the one thing I always respected about Muschamp. He'd say "that's on me" after a sh*tty loss (and there were lots of them). You can't be a head coach at this level and not accept that losses more often than not are directly your responsibility. Maybe he'll learn that lesson before his next gig, but I'm not putting any money on it.

• divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $12,493
            Ratings:
            +23,094 / -195
            I can't say it was an "Uh-Oh" moment, but when I heard him speak right after he was hired at the Orlando Gator Club I was less than enamored. He said nothing and spoke in riddles and from the get go came of as a little scolding to the fans. He said something to the effect of, "I need you people to not voice your opinion because it's bad for the program."

I gave him the benefit of the doubt his first year because he really didn't have much of anything to work with offensively. I held off giving too much of an opinion until he had a chance to get some of his guys and settle into being the head coach. That lasted until the Vandy game last year when I was in Nashville with good seats and spent most of the game observing what was going on on the sidelines. I saw a team and coaching staff who seemed totally disengaged from each other with no adjustments being made and no one seeming to care.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $25,898
              Ratings:
              +36,889 / -555
              TR, that's it. Pumpers come in and just line up excuse after excuse. Butters should have tweaked the offense or inserted Jacob Guy, Grady, or Clarabelle! It wasn't working.

You mention the fake FG vs. LSU. Perfect example of Greg Nord. And he's STILL HERE!!! WTF?????? Why? Why is Greg Nord still on this staff!!

Go back to the Treon issue, same thing goes for Nussmeir. We ask, "why didn't they tweak the offense to help Treon?" Well, the answer is simple: this coaching staff is incapable! It's that simple!

These kids never had a chance (on Offense and ST's).

The whole "McElwain Era" will go down as a dark, dark period in Gator football. It will be a blur for most people. But I'll remember it as 3 years of the "Lost Decade of Gator Football".

• SwampNuts

SwampNuts Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                $51
                Ratings:
                +158 / -9
                Loss to UT. No reason we should have lost that game. At all.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $14,435
                  Ratings:
                  +26,557 / -570
                  About halfway through last year I jus finally got sick of watching the worst coached special teams on the planet. Stuff like that is where a good coach makes his money. Details and organization. We haven't looked like anything other than a cow trying to juggle while standing up in a hammock for years. I'm sick of it. It's one thing if a guy can't throw or catch or run fast enough but Jesus tap dancing Christ at least know the playbook and some basic fundamentals. Blocking, tackling, and keeping your damn mouth shut!

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                    $3,135
                    Ratings:
                    +7,561 / -615
                    The fake FG vs the hat. Everyone and their mothers knew he was going to fake it and our mid major joke of a coach...let it happen. I knew that day he was second rate and a loser. Fast forward to getting prison raped by FSU and Bama...and then the icing on the first year cake? Letting players not practice for the bowl game and refusing to even slightly change the offense to help out Treon. I got blasted pretty hard. I heard some stupid excuse about how important it was for the other guys to get practice in our offense and not change anything. It would benefit the offense long term. To those people...how'd that turn out? Yeah, I thought so.

• chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime

Oxbucks:
                      $1,924
                      Ratings:
                      +3,909 / -261
                      Arkansas

• t-gator

t-gator too sexy for my shirt
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $5,888
                        Ratings:
                        +13,005 / -740
                        This is kind of awkward. Who are you?

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $26,150
                          Ratings:
                          +43,096 / -423
                          For me, the in-game moments were the obvious--ut and Ark last year. The loss in knoxville reminded me of WM' loss to uga. Your predecessors have laid a perfect foundation of mental and physical ownership in this series, and you can't find a way to keep it going? The Ark game just confirmed my suspicions on him.

But as others have mentioned, his opening press conference mannerisms and speaking left a lot to be desired. I actually liked the pick initially, and the excitement of the new era kind of skewed my vision. But I remember thinking "this guys is rambling", similar to WM's insistence on finishing every sentence with "aight" in his opening remarks. Public speaking isn't everything, but it says a lot about the genuine confidence level of an individual. And it wasn't there.

The Grier situation felt like the moment that would ultimately be his undoing, and I posted as much then.

And Law touched on his second class(first full class) in Feb 2016. For me, it was less about the quality and quantity of the class. It was more about the fact that we had 2-3 stars taking officials to places like VT, ECU and and Temple in the final weeks, meaning we hadn't even commanded their respect, much less the 4-5 stars that we needed to get back to championship caliber. But truthfully, I think the absolute worst thing, and what officially told me we were in trouble was the faux "hat selections" that we orchestrated with our current commits on NSD to make it appear that we had momentum, when we totally did not. It was down right embarrassing and all our rivals saw straight through it. That one move told me that this guy not only didn't get it, but was basically trying to create a fake presentation instead of buckling down and doing a better job. If someone's unwilling to admit that they're failing, there's no chance of them actually improving. That was his moment of admission.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey 2-8 in the last 10 P5 games
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $71,065
                            Ratings:
                            +109,291 / -7,566
                            He does that to everyone.

I thought he was giving me a thumbsup at first.

THAT IS NOT A FINGRER!

#132 Swamp Donkey, Nov 1, 2017
                            Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
                            • cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $10,039
                              Ratings:
                              +15,693 / -47
                              His "modeling" in the Belk ads...

upload_2017-10-31_14-17-24.jpeg

I'm embarrassed for Belk. Looks like he thinks he's in an Armani photo shoot, but actually brings to mind a portly Rick Nielsen deciding between General Tso's Chicken and Beef Lo Mein at the Chinese buffet.

• NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $5,659
                                Ratings:
                                +15,039 / -196
                                The Michigan game this year. I was one of the dummies that was still holding out he could turn things around this year. Boy was I a fool.

• MidwestChomp

MidwestChomp Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $5,296
                                  Ratings:
                                  +11,783 / -69
                                  [​IMG]

• bradgator2

bradgator2 Rioting
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $7,888
                                    Ratings:
                                    +17,466 / -138
                                    So.... what you are trying to say is:
                                    1) I am a liar.
                                    2) I have poor reading comprehension
                                    3) I cant even understand small words.
                                    4) I only understand and share the feelings of others.

This is causing me much self reflection today. Anything else you can share about me?

• GatorJB

GatorJB Senior Member
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $2,743
                                      Ratings:
                                      +4,501 / -48
                                      This is a really good thread topic. I had several uh-oh moments that I'll list below:

First, was the bowl game against Michigan. It was completely obvious that Mac treated this like extra practice time with an exhibition game, and of course that attitude rubbed off on the players. The poor preparation and lack of competitiveness was dumbfounding.

Second, was his second recruiting class. No DT's again. Missed on higher ranked LB's and DB's. I knew this would set us back another year or two.

Third and the final straw, was the UT debacle. He got outcoached by Butch Jones. Gave up a 4 TD lead, no second-half adjustments, and he looked completely lost on the sidelines... against Butch Jones. This was when I knew for sure that Foley screwed the pooch once again. There were several more uh-oh moments still to come, but none of them were surprising after this game.

• Acecustis

Acecustis Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $149
                                        Ratings:
                                        +218 / -26
                                        2017 4th quarter against Vanderbilt. He gets pissed off because Malik Davis scored a TD late to seal the game. He actually feared a Kyle Shurmur led Vanderbilt team would score 2 TD's in 90 seconds. I laugh thinking about Urban or Spurrier getting mad at scoring TD's. That moment showed who Mac really is. A vagina who is scared to win.

• bradgator2

bradgator2 Rioting
                                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $7,888
                                          Ratings:
                                          +17,466 / -138
                                          [​IMG]

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                              • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                              • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.