What was your Uh-Oh Moment in the Mac Era?

Oct 5, 2014
Honestly I knew it wasn't going to work from the moment I saw he was hired. I remembered when he was the oc at bama and remember thinking that his offenses were stupidly simplistic. MacElroy throwing little screen passes and running Ingram and Richardson up the middle.

It was his first press conference. He revealed himself as a phony, fake, and fraud.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
The Michigan loss this year did me in for good.

Also I wasnt a fan of the Mike Kent hire as strength coach. Seems like you would want someone younger with maybe a more energetic/vibrant personality and looks more the part of a strength coach.

Pretty sure Mac was critical of the Strength program after the Michigan loss saying something like they were bigger and stronger.

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm serious. The first press conference.

As trivial as it sounds the point when I went really postal was the introduction of his fricking BBQ sauce...bad optics, tone deaf, clueless, stupid, disrespectful, and self absorbed. Other than that it was a good move. If I was the President of this university, I would have hauled him into my office and said, I tell you what...win some damned games before you put any of your sauce anywhere near any of my facilities. In the meantime you can ship everything you have to some kids in Africa. They're are plenty there starving for food just like we're starving for a decent win.

Last edited:

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
For me it was 10-7 going into the 4th qtr against UMass. I gave him a pass for year 1, but knew something wasn't right when nothing changed in year 2

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
For me it was 10-7 going into the 4th qtr against UMass. I gave him a pass for year 1, but knew something wasn't right when nothing changed in year 2

That was ugly. Then after Del Rio got hurt against N. Texas (up only 19-0 in the middle of the 3rd quarter vs. a team that finished w/ 3 wins) the pumpers jumped in w/ "...well, if LDR hadn't gotten injured!" The whole thing was a freaking joke. The coaching on the offensive side of the ball and ST's has been so inept, it makes Will Muschamp look like the second coming of Nick Saban!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The coaching on the offensive side of the ball and ST's has been so inept, it makes Will Muschamp look like the second coming of Nick Saban!

It's terrible, but I wouldn't go quite THAT far.:grin:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In the very first game when be blew out New Mexico State 61-13. No way we could keep up that production. It was all downhill from there.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In all seriousness, the first year when we beat a CRAP Vandy team 9-7 and then we ended the year getting blown out the last 3 games to FSU, Bama and Michigan.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Hey everybody, I'm back! I've been so damn bummed over the sorry course of events we've watched unfold over the last several weeks that I just had to take a break. Guess you could say I was so frustrated with the hot mess we've laughingly called UF football that I temporarily choked on my own bile. But the cause for all that distress has departed and now I'm back. Hoo-F'n-Ray. Okay, on to the OP's question. I think my first moment of doubt and pain came when Treon seemed to actually get worse after a fairly decent showing earlier in the first season, and in the loss to LSU. There seemed to be zero attempt made at changing the offense up to suit what abilities he did have, and as a result he just totally fell apart. But the real red flag was the series of events that resulted in a talented QB, who admittedly made a stupid mistake, being run off while another player was allowed to commit a series of embarrassing gaffes and minor crimes that would make Bobby Bowden blush. The multiple trips to the woodshed to end the season only served to further my sense that our new coach might be something less than I had hoped.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hey everybody, I'm back! I've been so damn bummed over the sorry course of events we've watched unfold over the last several weeks that I just had to take a break. Guess you could say I was so frustrated with the hot mess we've laughingly called UF football that I temporarily choked on my own bile. But the cause for all that distress has departed and now I'm back. Hoo-F'n-Ray. Okay, on to the OP's question. I think my first moment of doubt and pain came when Treon seemed to actually get worse after a fairly decent showing earlier in the first season, and in the loss to LSU. There seemed to be zero attempt made at changing the offense up to suit what abilities he did have, and as a result he just totally fell apart. But the real red flag was the series of events that resulted in a talented QB, who admittedly made a stupid mistake, being run off while another player was allowed to commit a series of embarrassing gaffes and minor crimes that would make Bobby Bowden blush. The multiple trips to the woodshed to end the season only served to further my sense that our new coach might be something less than I had hoped.
This is kind of awkward. Who are you?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Welcome back, whoever you are. Post more often so we get to know you better.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
In all seriousness, the first year when we beat a CRAP Vandy team 9-7 and then we ended the year getting blown out the last 3 games to FSU, Bama and Michigan.

There were many warning signs, but this is a good indication of what was to come.

It shows his mentality which seeped into the team. Strongish against garbage, fold when it matters.

So glad he (and the Belk commercial) are no longer.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
"it is what it is" "and yet" "pretty kewl" plus never improving all the way through a season finale and pimping BBQ Sauce made me throw in the towel this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look the Uh oh moment should have been when they said Jim McElwain. After googling the name, you should have thought "that Trailerbammer OC moron who lost 9-6 to Les Miles when they both ran 50 power plays up the middle in a row?"

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Honestly, I had a lot of hope for this guy, but the first “uh, oh” moment for me was his introductory presser. He had an uneasy, nervous warble in his voice that was as unsettling as his body language. It screamed lack of confidence, it screamed pretender.

We also witnessed it every time he was interviewed on the sideline. But I first noticed it in his introductory press conference.

I'm in this camp. I had hope when reading about his hire and then he had his opening press conference and a series of one on one interviews that all revealed he lacked charisma, and any "it" factor. Florida's best coaches have been cults of personality that drew others to follow them. A clear leader is obvious within a few minutes. Even if a bit of a conceited prick, which Urban and, to our rivals, SOS were, they captured your attention.

Some saw Mac, with his no socks, and thought "cool laid back guy; I'd like a beer with this guy" (even though that is not typically your best high-level type A elite coach). Maybe if it was just the socks. But, I saw the Belk commercial-in-waiting over his next few appearances. He wore a button-down shirt, jacket and tie.

IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG

A questionable look for the head guy, but he made it worse by dropping the tie but keeping the button down shirt with a jacket. Ok if not a button down and a great suit, but collectively, his button down, steinmart pants and Belk blazer looked like a sloppy mess during the most important moments of his professional life.

IMG_1019.JPG

This may seem petty, but he was our $4 million man brought to energize our team and offense, not our new regional manager. I don't dress to send a signal at all times, but I do when needed. He needed to and just blew it.

If I'm meeting a new client who needs someone that will pay attention to all details and outwork the other side, I definitely pay attention to every detail, including my clothes, to show it. In front of a smaller town judge, or more casual client, I dress down to not seem flashy. There are other examples, but for any circumstances I am considering all details that might help and I'm not a $4 million man.

Mac's projected image, plus lack of clear communication skills, showed me someone who just didn't pay attention to details and didn't draw people to want to follow or trust in him. If he can't pay attention to details about himself, how could he do so for 80+ kids. We now know the answer.

I hoped I was just a judgmental a-hole who would be proven wrong. But, his recruiting and our team's play only confirmed my opinion week after week.

Grier vs Ole Miss gave me my greatest doubt in my initial impression. Then we sucked again vs Missouri and it's been downhill since.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
About halfway through last year I jus finally got sick of watching the worst coached special teams on the planet. Stuff like that is where a good coach makes his money. Details and organization. We haven't looked like anything other than a cow trying to juggle while standing up in a hammock for years. I'm sick of it. It's one thing if a guy can't throw or catch or run fast enough but Jesus tap dancing Christ at least know the playbook and some basic fundamentals. Blocking, tackling, and keeping your damn mouth shut!

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I'm serious. The first press conference.

As trivial as it sounds the point when I went really postal was the introduction of his fricking BBQ sauce...bad optics, tone deaf, clueless, stupid, disrespectful, and self absorbed. Other than that it was good move. If I was the President of this university, I would have hauled him into my office and said, I tell you what...win some damned games before you put any of your sauce anywhere near any of my facilities. In the meantime you can ship everything you have to some kids in Africa. They're are plenty there starving for food just like we're starving for a decent win.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2: I can't stop laughing. This is a great post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.