What's a good Android phone?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like the Ookla app is working properly for some reason now. I get about 70 download (5s) and my wife is getting about 85 upload(6s).

Just curious, but physically where are you in relation to the wireless router when you run the ookla speed test?
Reason I ask is because how the two different bands work, or are used. The 5 ghz connection is a better connection that can allow for greater data transfer, as well as just being less used than the 2.4 ghz band, but is not as good going through obstacles such as walls.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just curious, but physically where are you in relation to the wireless router when you run the ookla speed test?
Reason I ask is because how the two different bands work, or are used. The 5 ghz connection is a better connection that can allow for greater data transfer, as well as just being less used than the 2.4 ghz band, but is not as good going through obstacles such as walls.

The router is in a room at the front of the house. I'm in the dining room. Maybe 30 feet?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
More importantly, clear line of sight? It's just a radio wave and a very high frequency one at that. Like Urg said, the 5.0 is even less capable of penetrating things than 2.4.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
More importantly, clear line of sight? It's just a radio wave and a very high frequency one at that. Like Urg said, the 5.0 is even less capable of penetrating things than 2.4.

I attempted changing the channels on 2.4 and leaving 5.0 undisturbed. It wasn't until I changed 2.4 to automatic and changed 5.0 (tried multiple channels) that I saw a jump up in speed.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I attempted changing the channels on 2.4 and leaving 5.0 undisturbed. It wasn't until I changed 2.4 to automatic and changed 5.0 (tried multiple channels) that I saw a jump up in speed.
5.0 is far faster and has far less "noise" interference from your neighbors nearby devices.

Last edited:

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Given all the exploding battery hoopla, at this point what would anybody recommend for somebody who wanted to make the switch to Android?

Last edited:

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
What phone would you recommend? Obviously not the note 7. Seems like Law said the S6 is trash.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What phone would you recommend? Obviously not the note 7. Seems like Law said the S6 is trash.
The note 7 reshipped with a proper battery is a great phone, as are most of the galaxy line. Would I shy away from it for a while until the issue was dealt with for certain, sure I would. My note 5 is still very capable, probably just as much, or more than the newest iPhone that isn't even out yet. My wife has the s7 edge and loves it.
The reason I said yup, though, is there are numerous android phone manufacturers. To rule out all androids because one particular model of one particular brand had a problem with faulty batteries is pretty dumb.
That would be like me ruling out any and all Apple products when they had the same issue with faulty batteries in the iPhone, makes no sense, much less ruling out other manufacturers because they use the same operating system.
From what I hear, people that use Nexus phones, tend to love them, also an android phone, amongst others. There are so many options, it's really just a matter of what you want to do with it (thus finding one with specs suitable for it) and how you like them in hand.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Google Nexus is very nice. I really like the new Moto X also. (Maybe it's Moto Z, whatever their upper end phone is called these days.) They are a bargain. Hell, the S5s are still nice. I don't think the battery problem is with all the S7s, just the Note7. I could be wrong though.

If you don't demand the latest greatest bestest mostest, there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of good options actually. I'd just look at them and see what I liked.

What you want to do will also affect the decision. My wife doesn't care about anything other than phoning and texting. She also tends break them, or dunk them more accurately. She gets a lower end Moto (G4) and loves it. The S5 would work in that role also. I think I spend more money on her case. If you have certain interests, like a great camera, the calculus will change.

It doesn't really matter what phone but Apple does make it painful to switch. There will be work to be done with regards to getting date off your Iphone.

Maybe read a few of links like this:

http://www.cnet.com/topics/phones/best-phones/android/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2483688,00.asp
http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-phones-568001/
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...st-android-phone-which-should-you-buy-1135314

Last edited:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Google Nexus is very nice. I really like the new Moto X also. They are a bargain. Hell, the S5s are still nice. If you don't demand the latest greatest bestest mostest, there are dozens of good options actually. I'd just look at them and see what I liked. If you have certain interests, like a great camera, the calculus will change.

What you want to do will also affect the decision. My wife doesn't care about anything other than phoning and texting. She also tends break them, or dunk them I guess is more accurate. She gets a lower end Moto and loves it. I think I spend more money on her case.

It doesn't really matter what phone but Apple does make it painful to switch. There will be work to be done with regards to getting date off your Iphone.
I'm not sure about other phones, but samsung has an S Switch feature which makes it very easy to switch from any phone. I would think there are other versions, perhaps non brand affiliated, I just haven't checked into it. We did it when my stepdaughter went from an iPhone 4s to the galaxy S5. Transfered photos, contacts, notes, damn near everything and can be done tethered or via bluetooth or wifi direct, can't recall which it was.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't LIKE having my data locked into some proprietary format. I dislike that feature on Samsung as much as I do Iphone.

I want to be able to copy my docs, texts, contacts, and other data and have it work on any phone or any computer. My wife's Samsung phone tried to hold her calendar hostage once. I worked around it but it always pisses me off.

I have owned many Samsungs, still have two Tabs. I like Samsung well enough, but I'm not a Samsung fanboi. If their product makes sen$e, I will consider it. I'm not a "cutting edge" guy so I certainly won't pay a premium for their latest and greatest product.

I do like a pure Android, without bloatware and without half the features locked down. Preferably with root access if I want to access it. Or at least a phone common enough that I can get a rooted rom.

I dislike locked roms because they inevitably can't be updated by Android which is a HUGE security risk and also a factor which may limit the life of the phone though Android can still run on older, lower specs phones in a way that newer versions of Iphone's IOS cannot. Locked ROMs also tend to disallow you from moving many apps or app data to the microSd card for no apparent reason. They also tend to keep you from using a OTG cable to connect to USB devices, again, I know not why. These things may not matter to others though, although the locked roms security problems with locked roms should.

Last edited:

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I don't LIKE having my data locked into some proprietary format. I dislike that feature on Samsung as much as I do Iphone.

I want to be able to copy my docs, texts, contacts, and other data and have it work on any phone or any computer. My wife's Samsung phone tried to hold her calendar hostage once. I worked around it but it always pisses me off.

I have owned many Samsungs, still have two Tabs. I like Samsung well enough, but I'm not a Samsung fanboi. If their product makes sen$e, I will consider it. I'm not a "cutting edge" guy so I certainly won't pay a premium for their latest and greatest product.

I do like a pure Android, without bloatware and without half the features locked down. Preferably with root access if I want to access it. Or at least a phone common enough that I can get a rooted rom.

I dislike locked roms because they inevitably can't be updated by Android which is a HUGE security risk and also a factor which may limit the life of the phone though Android can still run on older, lower specs phones in a way that newer versions of Iphone's IOS cannot. Locked ROMs also tend to disallow you from moving many apps or app data to the microSd card for no apparent reason. They also tend to keep you from using a OTG cable to connect to USB devices, again, I know not why. These things may not matter to others though, although the locked roms security problems with locked roms should.

Pure Android is great; I wonder what the Google Pixel Phones are going to be like. Leaks are pointing to a $650 release so I assume they have to be much better than the previous Nexus devices

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe but I don't pay $650 for a breakable piece of glass to carry in my pocket. :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.