What's a good Android phone?

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, Hobby and Computer Tech' started by GatorJ, Aug 7, 2016.

1. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,851
    Ratings:
    +20,774 / -518
    Just curious, but physically where are you in relation to the wireless router when you run the ookla speed test?
    Reason I ask is because how the two different bands work, or are used. The 5 ghz connection is a better connection that can allow for greater data transfer, as well as just being less used than the 2.4 ghz band, but is not as good going through obstacles such as walls.

2. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $10,042
    Ratings:
    +18,730 / -396
    The router is in a room at the front of the house. I'm in the dining room. Maybe 30 feet?

3. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $63,567
    Ratings:
    +95,451 / -6,501
    More importantly, clear line of sight? It's just a radio wave and a very high frequency one at that. Like Urg said, the 5.0 is even less capable of penetrating things than 2.4.

4. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $10,042
    Ratings:
    +18,730 / -396
    I attempted changing the channels on 2.4 and leaving 5.0 undisturbed. It wasn't until I changed 2.4 to automatic and changed 5.0 (tried multiple channels) that I saw a jump up in speed.

5. grengadgy

grengadgy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $420
    Ratings:
    +2,533 / -190
    • Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $63,567
      Ratings:
      +95,451 / -6,501
      5.0 is far faster and has far less "noise" interference from your neighbors nearby devices.

#106 Swamp Donkey, Sep 1, 2016
      Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    • L-boy

L-boy Senior Member
      BANNED

Oxbucks:
      $46
      Ratings:
      +1,461 / -169
      Given all the exploding battery hoopla, at this point what would anybody recommend for somebody who wanted to make the switch to Android?

#107 L-boy, Sep 11, 2016
      Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    • URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,851
      Ratings:
      +20,774 / -518
      Yup.

• L-boy

L-boy Senior Member
      BANNED

Oxbucks:
      $46
      Ratings:
      +1,461 / -169
      What phone would you recommend? Obviously not the note 7. Seems like Law said the S6 is trash.

• URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,851
      Ratings:
      +20,774 / -518
      The note 7 reshipped with a proper battery is a great phone, as are most of the galaxy line. Would I shy away from it for a while until the issue was dealt with for certain, sure I would. My note 5 is still very capable, probably just as much, or more than the newest iPhone that isn't even out yet. My wife has the s7 edge and loves it.
      The reason I said yup, though, is there are numerous android phone manufacturers. To rule out all androids because one particular model of one particular brand had a problem with faulty batteries is pretty dumb.
      That would be like me ruling out any and all Apple products when they had the same issue with faulty batteries in the iPhone, makes no sense, much less ruling out other manufacturers because they use the same operating system.
      From what I hear, people that use Nexus phones, tend to love them, also an android phone, amongst others. There are so many options, it's really just a matter of what you want to do with it (thus finding one with specs suitable for it) and how you like them in hand.

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $63,567
      Ratings:
      +95,451 / -6,501
      Google Nexus is very nice. I really like the new Moto X also. (Maybe it's Moto Z, whatever their upper end phone is called these days.) They are a bargain. Hell, the S5s are still nice. I don't think the battery problem is with all the S7s, just the Note7. I could be wrong though.

If you don't demand the latest greatest bestest mostest, there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of good options actually. I'd just look at them and see what I liked.

What you want to do will also affect the decision. My wife doesn't care about anything other than phoning and texting. She also tends break them, or dunk them more accurately. She gets a lower end Moto (G4) and loves it. The S5 would work in that role also. I think I spend more money on her case. If you have certain interests, like a great camera, the calculus will change.

It doesn't really matter what phone but Apple does make it painful to switch. There will be work to be done with regards to getting date off your Iphone.

Maybe read a few of links like this:

http://www.cnet.com/topics/phones/best-phones/android/
      http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2483688,00.asp
      http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-phones-568001/
      http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...st-android-phone-which-should-you-buy-1135314

#111 Swamp Donkey, Sep 11, 2016
      • URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $8,851
        Ratings:
        +20,774 / -518
        I'm not sure about other phones, but samsung has an S Switch feature which makes it very easy to switch from any phone. I would think there are other versions, perhaps non brand affiliated, I just haven't checked into it. We did it when my stepdaughter went from an iPhone 4s to the galaxy S5. Transfered photos, contacts, notes, damn near everything and can be done tethered or via bluetooth or wifi direct, can't recall which it was.

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $63,567
        Ratings:
        +95,451 / -6,501
        I don't LIKE having my data locked into some proprietary format. I dislike that feature on Samsung as much as I do Iphone.

I want to be able to copy my docs, texts, contacts, and other data and have it work on any phone or any computer. My wife's Samsung phone tried to hold her calendar hostage once. I worked around it but it always pisses me off.

I have owned many Samsungs, still have two Tabs. I like Samsung well enough, but I'm not a Samsung fanboi. If their product makes sen$e, I will consider it. I'm not a "cutting edge" guy so I certainly won't pay a premium for their latest and greatest product.

I do like a pure Android, without bloatware and without half the features locked down. Preferably with root access if I want to access it. Or at least a phone common enough that I can get a rooted rom.

I dislike locked roms because they inevitably can't be updated by Android which is a HUGE security risk and also a factor which may limit the life of the phone though Android can still run on older, lower specs phones in a way that newer versions of Iphone's IOS cannot. Locked ROMs also tend to disallow you from moving many apps or app data to the microSd card for no apparent reason. They also tend to keep you from using a OTG cable to connect to USB devices, again, I know not why. These things may not matter to others though, although the locked roms security problems with locked roms should.

#113 Swamp Donkey, Sep 11, 2016
      • chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime

Oxbucks:
        $1,561
        Ratings:
        +3,381 / -222
        Pure Android is great; I wonder what the Google Pixel Phones are going to be like. Leaks are pointing to a $650 release so I assume they have to be much better than the previous Nexus devices

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $63,567
        Ratings:
        +95,451 / -6,501
        Maybe but I don't pay $650 for a breakable piece of glass to carry in my pocket. :dance: