What's your best argument against expanding the CFP to eight teams? (Poll!)

What should happen with the College Football Playoff?

• Leave it the $%@# alone, it's good enough like it is.

• Keep it at four teams, but change the criteria for getting in.

• Expand it to 8 teams.

• Expand it to 16 teams.

• Eliminate the CFP and go back to #1 vs. #2.

• Something else, which I will explain it my response.

Results are only viewable after voting.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I chose keep it the same but change the criteria. I believe SOS should be the #2 criteria after record. IMO a 1 loss team with a SOS let's say at 15 deserves to go over an undefeated team with a 60th rank SOS. Give teams a reason to stop scheduling non power 5 schools. UF if it sticks will play all power 5 in 2031

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
You support it.
You're still here? What happened, you didn't get that nice blanket I sent you for Christmas? You were supposed to cuddle up with it on the couch, and breathe deeply. Did you not see the note saying it was NOT to be washed before use??

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Here goes

First this would extend the season further and for more teams. They already play longer than is really good for the players.

Next it would just allow more teams in that really have no chance of winning. Sort of how having four does today with the ways that they choose them.

Finally it would even more reduce the value of any other bowl games, some of this might be a positive.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
That's sort of a circular argument, though. It's true what you're saying, there are only a handful of teams who are legit championship contenders, but that's because they are stockpiling all the talent and the cycle is perpetuating itself. As it is now, 5* recruits think they need to go to one of those schools if they want to play for the national championship and get that maximum TV exposure. That would be different if there were eight teams with a real chance to win it every year.

Some will say that even if eight teams got in, it would still be the same small handful in the final four every year. I disagree. I think that's a short-sighted belief that comes from viewing things from the perspective of how they are now.

Interesting idea, but with all the new opportunities for players to make big money while being a college athlete the number of teams might be even further reduced. They might be different ones. I greatly dislike that players can become millionaires over their likeness etc. But that is reality.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The trend of people saying there's no need to expand to eight teams because there aren't even four legit title contenders in the first place. First @Swamp Donkey said it, then you, and probably someone else has said it by the time I'm done typing this.

My question is, why is that the case? Do you think there's only enough top talent in America to put together three teams that deserve to be considered the best? Or it because all the top talent keeps being stockpiled by those teams?

The situation you're talking about (the limited number of truly elite teams) existed when we had no playoff, because everyone wanted to go to whoever were the top two schools at any given time. Now that four teams get a shot, the perception of who those top two schools are has changed a little bit, but it's still just a handful who are always in the mix right now.

So how do we change that? I'm saying we should consider something different that we haven't tried yet.

Changing it is almost impossible. You could I suppose go to a drafting system where teams get exclusive rights to players but that would be illegal and immoral.

I heard a proposal for the SEC to go it alone I don't like that either.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You're still here? What happened, you didn't get that nice blanket I sent you for Christmas? You were supposed to cuddle up with it on the couch, and breathe deeply. Did you not see the note saying it was NOT to be washed before use??
Sending a blanket was your mistake. @BNAG8R never uses blankets. He prefers his Gator "snuggie." My understanding is he likes that it has sleeves.

m_61e22e329c3378d17b9c1419.jpeg

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
There are only 5 P5 conferences. If you can’t even win you’re conference, you have no business competing for a national title. Eight includes teams that didn’t get it done.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
There are only 5 P5 conferences. If you can’t even win you’re conference, you have no business competing for a national title. Eight includes teams that didn’t get it done.
FWIW, since the four team playoff started in 2014, twice the champion has been a team that did not win their conference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.