What's your guess for the 2019 depth chart?

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by ltraz, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,918
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / -356
    It's the off-season. What else is there to do? A few things to think about:

- Until otherwise shown, we're a base 3-4 team that never gets to play their base, bc we're also a man team in a spread world. We still install a 3-4 though so you need to be able to run a 3-4 and nickel with the same front 6-7. There are a few spots (X & Y WRs, safety) where the same guy is likely the top backup to both, but I'll still put different players. I'm making some big assumptions on the DL including the addition of Greenard, Polite dropping a few and the staff not liking our 2018 run D stats. Also a huge assumption that marco comes back the same, which we'll mostly know in the Spring.

Offense. We play mostly an 11 (3 WRs, 1 RB, 1 TE), but I'm going to list a 2nd RB spot, bc I think we could see a chunk of 2 RB sets next season. Going off of our roster, what a few other Os in football are doing and a huge thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet...mullen now has a retired consultant that he will definitely call.

QB: Franks, EJ
    When you have skill players like we'll have, I think you go with the guy that can get them the ball and I think that'll still be Franks.
    RB: Perine/Pierce, Wright
    I would hate to play a team starting those two, which is why I love that the Gators will
    RB2: Davis, Clement, Wright
    Clement might be our most talented player that nobody talks about. He's not as dynamic as a Pierce, but he's versatile AF. Probably the closest to percy we've had as far as a both a natural runner and receiver. I think he could be a full-time slot, but we're loaded there. I also think he's the type of gamer that could play safety if needed.
    X: Jefferson, Hammond
    The #2 here is whoever isn't at Z, but we have too much at Y for Hammond to stay there.
    Y (Slot): Swain, Toney, Copeland
    It'll be a challenge to get all these guys touches. If we do have a RB2 spot, it'd take running touches from this group and then I could see Swain or Cope going outside more.
    Z: Cleveland/Grimes
    Cleveland wasn't in a sling at the um game, which means the francture was stable and he didn't have surgery. Should be full- go in the Spring.
    TE: Gamble, Krull, Pitts, Lang?
    Gamble has the blocking advantage so he gets the most reps unless Krull improves in that aspect and his freaky athleticism gives him the nod. Lang is the guy nobody will talk about, but could easily start with his size if he can block. Remember that he really only played one year of TE in hs. Pitts will work as a TE in position drills, but guessing he's split in most 10 sets (4 WR) and in a short-yardage package.
    LT: Gouraige, Jean Delance
    LG: Heggie, TJ Moore
    C: Buchanan, TJ McCoy
    RG: Bleich, Griffin McDowell
    RT: Stone, Noah Banks
    We're all just guessing here outside of Heggie and Buchanan. Our scheme ideally wants maulers at the guard spots sandwiched by athletic guys that can play in space. Not sure Stone keeps that spot for that reason. Also, while it's based off limited snaps, his passing grade was a lot better than his running grade, but we want to run the ball.

#1 ltraz, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,918
      Ratings:
      +3,087 / -356
      Defense: I'll list 12 spots to cover a 3-4 and nickel. Will also label it as a NG and DT, with the DT becoming the other DE in a 3-4. WDE becomes the other OLB. Listing my nickel guess based off how we played this year, but how Marco looks and the weights of a few DL could change that. We didn't really play with different safety roles this year so won't separate FS & SS. I think Dean has to move to safety to be on the field, but he might be the 1st off the bench at both nickel and CB.
      SDE: Zachary Carter, Ancrum, Langham
      I think it's funny how much people's opinions go back to HS star ranking. Saw people the other day saying we should process Ancrum, but he contributed and graded out really well (74.9) this season. I don't want him starting (bc he brings no pass rush), but he's depth that can play DE at ~ 270#.
      NG: Slaton, Conliffe, Dunlap
      I seriously don't know why the young guys didn't play, bc we couldn't stop the run and they were solid when in. Slaton graded at 75.5. We'll need them to next year
      DT: Campbell, Shuler
      Have Shuler at #2, bc not sure what his weight will be. He might not have known he was going to play inside this year so now that he does, he might really eat this off-season. He adds 20# and what was a small line this season will be pretty big next year. You can also see why the staff offered the UCLA transfer if they want a 3-deep at the DT spots.
      WDE: JZ, Greenard, Clayton, Chatfield
      We'll use a rotation to replace Polite. Clayton and Chatfield are unknowns.
      Sam: Moon, Nick Smith, Diabetes (what I'll call him until I hear it pronounced correctly)
      Fun fact: Moon didn't miss a tackle this season. He's not as bad as people think and should be better if he eats his mashed potatoes. Could also see Clayton here if Moon doesn't put on weight, bc the Michigan game is fresh and our strength issues at Sam were on full display.
      ILB: Big Reese, V Miller, R Jackson
      ILB: Houston, Little Reese, KJ
      A bunch of guys for the 2 ILB spots. Reese is obviously one. I think Houston has gotten the 3rd most snaps this year. Miller is a beast, but not sure if you can pair him with Reese and have two slower guys. Little Reese and Nick Smith can both run. Or does Burney move...
      Nickel: Stewart, Steele
      Stewart is a 200# guy that has experience as a true cover player (89.7 coverage grade). We don't have another with that combo on the roster. Steele might be made for this spot for the future.
      LCB: Marco, Kimbrough, McWilliams
      Kimbrough is a pure CB. If a guy goes down, the other team targets that CB passing, but doesn't have time to gameplan getting a big WR there (Kimbrough's weakness right now). I know everyone says redshirt, but if he progresses, he might be the guy you want in for a series until you can move Dean over for the next drive.
      Safety: Dean/Davis, Stiner
      Davis doesn't get credit, bc he doesn't fuq up, which is weird. He's probably a little tentative (which gives pockets underneath for our LBs to look worse), but he's a sound tackler (4th best grade on the team) and our best cover safety. Grade was 75.6 for the season with an 80.0 in run D.
      Safety: Burney, Huggins, Taylor
      In our scheme, safety requires less hips and is probably more involved in run support than nickel. It made sense for him to play there this season, but think he fits better as a safety (think K Neal). The other issue with him at nickel is that if you put him there, it's bc he's a monster and you gameplan all off-season for him to dominate WR blocks. He goes down and his backup isn't nearly as big so your whole D changes.
      RCB: CJ, Edwards

• neteng

neteng T=(800 x mJT)/4
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,062
        Ratings:
        +1,057 / -54
        Grimes and Cleveland? I think they play a serious role.

• Gator By Marriage

Gator By Marriage A convert to Gatorism
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $400
          Ratings:
          +400 / -5
          I know Ancrum gets disparaged a lot, and quite frankly i really can't remember any good or bad plays he made except one & it was awesome. In the UT game, his read and interception of the screen pass deep in UT territory was a thing of beauty. (and yes, I know the naysayers will point out that since he can't rush the passer, he should never get fooled on a screen - kinda like an old basketball coach once told me: "Son, since you can't really jump, you should never get faked off of your feet.")

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $2,918
            Ratings:
            +3,087 / -356
            Forgot to put the Z. My bad. Added now.

• Defend the Swamp

Defend the Swamp Well-Known Member
            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
            $220
            Ratings:
            +221 / -0
            Guessing he meant to list them both at Z

• SCColaGator

SCColaGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $615
              Ratings:
              +630 / -15
              Star will be Burney or Dean I think. Stewart will be a starting Safety.

Oline outside of Buchanan and Heggie (if he can stay healthy) its a craps shoot. Who knows. I expect we wont know until the end of spring

• Gatorbait25

Gatorbait25 H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist

Oxbucks:
              $1,475
              Ratings:
              +1,048 / -30
              QB- FF, Emory
              RB- Perine, Pierce, Malik, Clement, Wright
              WR- Van, Grimes
              WR- Josh, Toney
              WR- Cleve, Swain, Cope
              TE- Pitts - I know he moved to receiver, but I think he will play a lot at TE to start out at least, Gamble, Krull, Zip,

LT- Gouraige / Moore
              LG- Heggie
              C- Nick / Mccoy
              RG- Hammond/Bleich
              RT- Stone/ Delance

D
              Nose- Kyree, Slaton
              Tackle - Shuler, Dunlap, Langham
              End - Carter, Eli, Langham,
              Rush- Zuniga, Moon, Chat, Nick Smith

ILB- SR Reese, Miller/ Diwun
              ILB- Houston / Burney/ Jackson

When we play our 3-4 I expect Moon to be the Sam with Nick Smith as the backup.

CB- CJH , Steele
              CB- Mario , Hill , CJM
              Nickel/ Star- Dean/ Burney if TD goes down.
              Tricky here if he ends up at backer.

S- Stewart, Huggins
              S- Davis, Taylor

KR- Kadarius, Clement
              PR- Freddie

I think Hammond gets one of the guard spots on the line. I could see Burney at safety, star of backer.
              I'm not a fan of bouncing guys around from one level to the next. If I had to take a guess I think he takes
              either a LB of safety spot. But it needs to be settled before the start of fall camp. Zuniga gets his chance
              to play in a two point stance with Polite moving on. It makes sense for us since Carter is knocking on the door
              at SDE, and we really aren't sure yet what we have with Moon and Chat. Grantham thinks Langham may end
              up inside for us since he's already 285.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,918
                Ratings:
                +3,087 / -356
                Very possible, but do u think that based off play and who reminds you of Chauncey or just bc a bunch of people have said it? Dean is thin at under 194# at 6'3" and didn't look overly strong fighting off blocks at CB. He does have great range though. Burney has never been a cover man and nickel is arguably the toughest cover spot on the field. We'd have to change the scheme if he's there.

• Defend the Swamp

Defend the Swamp Well-Known Member
                Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                $220
                Ratings:
                +221 / -0
                Few predictions imo:

Will be a savage offseason for the interior linemen.
                Buchanan, with more strength, can become a really good center. All other spots (including Heggie) are up for grabs to the most physical, disciplined players that arrive in the fall ready to rumble. (Might not be the same 5 from Spring to Fall.)

Might Expect to see Campbell and Shuler on the field together along with JZ and tbd. (with Dunlap & the young guys rotating in).
                SlatonConliffe...need strength & more training on how to stay low & maintain gaps (hoping their breakout happens before 2020 but it might take some time to be SEC ready).

Perine & Davis return as a strength, with plenty of colts in the stable chomping to gallop.

CJ, Wilson, Steele, Dean, Stewart...then Burney...then Davis. DB Might just be the strength of the team instead of a liability (including run support). Will watch CTG shuffle the deck too much again.

LB is an entirely different question for run vs pass. Biggest concern for 2019...and that includes replacing the OL. Plenty of bodies but, who develops? Can’t wait to see Black in pads on Florida Field. Keep working young fella.

Van makes the WR group special. If the others willingly learn from him, look out. Grimes might fly by the rest.
                But many will be productive.

TE might only flash every-other game but make no mistake, they will be vital in the run game.

P & K will both win some ballgames. Hope we’ve learned not to Nord the punt protection.

Mullen will continue to win with Franks in 2019. He might not ever hit the back shoulder, nor, fade. Might be lucky to hit half of his 9’s. But he can run the offense Mullen gives him.
                Just don’t see Jones taking over next year, even if he has “packages” to showcase sporadically. Will know Franks has matured once he shaves that merkin off his chin.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,918
                  Ratings:
                  +3,087 / -356
                  Just got a reminder of Stewart Reese on another thread. He'd immediately get penciled in as the start at RT if he did and Stone/Gouraige would be the competition at LT. Then I also think a guy like Banks might start at guard.

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Apex predator of the political forum biome
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,064
                  Ratings:
                  +3,260 / -29
                  Interestingly enough the roster listed Reese the younger as a DB. Do you think that was a mistake or are they really looking at him as maybe a safety?

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,918
                  Ratings:
                  +3,087 / -356
                  I think sometimes it makes sense to move young guys based on numbers and that cross training (learning different spots) can be good for them. But I don't think Reese will ever play safety for UF as long as granthem is our DC.

• Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,257
                  Ratings:
                  +6,287 / -131
                  The tackles will probably end up being Stone and Banks I would think but maybe someone younger emerges and takes a spot.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $7,094
                  Ratings:
                  +12,591 / -159
                  Banks, if healthy, could very likely be a starter at one of the OT spots. He's apparently got an undisclosed injury that could prevent him from playing (i.e. medical hardship). We'll find out soon what that issue is (if he plays or doesn't play in the spring).

If Heggie can stay healthy, he's an All-SEC type at OG. Buchanan is solid at Center, I don't think he gets unseated.

We need Moore, Gouraige, Delance, and Forsythe to be solid contributors.

Honestly, the OL has been so bad around here for so long I think this line can be just as good as this year's OL....and by mid-season could be better. Ivey, Johnson, and Taylor were good for - at least - 2 false starts and 2 holding calls per game, on average. Hopefully the new OL will be more disciplined. Heggie, if healthy is an upgrade at OG. I think Bleich is a wash w/ Fred/Jordan. Forsythe has potential and Gouraige is the highest rated OL on the team.

• Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                    $2,257
                    Ratings:
                    +6,287 / -131
                    Didn't realize that about Banks. I he doesn't play in the Spring game he probably won't be starting and maybe not even playing next season. I could see Gouraige taking one of those Tackle spots.

• Sec14Gator

Sec14Gator Well-Known Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $707
                    Ratings:
                    +870 / -41
                    This thread is amusing because Itraz frequently notes that if he really posts about football discussion, no one will respond or pay attention. Then, he starts this great thread and it is buried with barely any responses, while implied comparisons of total failures to Dabo Swinney take up 9 pages.

I agree with much of your assessment with a few notes below of possible differences.

I think the entire offense is as you state, including QB, except that I could see Grimes putting Cleveland on the sidelines a lot more.

For TE, Mullen seems to rave about Krull, while never mentioning Gamble. I suspect he is going to try to get Krull into position to be on the field the majority of the snaps. With Krull's athleticism and apparent willingness to grind (based solely on workout posts), I suspect he'll take to coaching regarding blocking technique and desire.

I hope you are right about Carter. He looks the part, but we just haven't seen it yet. I could see Shuler taking that SDE starting role over Carter depending upon the other teams personnel.

I would love Slaton to play more but based on the smaller sizes Grantham seems to be favoring, I'd expect Conliffe to get more plays, perhaps even Dunlap over both of them.

Do you think there is a chance Greenard is the SAM? He's listed as 263 lbs already, but was a LB at Louisville under Grantham? Will Sammons also recently discussed him pressing Moon for playing time.

At ILB, I think you are right that Houston starts over Reese, but only at first. By the end of the year, I'd expect that to change.

Steele might just come in and start at the nickel right away if he can get the responsibilities down. He seems made for that role and has higher potential there than Chauncey just based on being more physical by nature. Otherwise, I think it is more likely we see Dean at the Star than Stewart. The coaches seem to think he has the better coverage skills (based on being the CB, with Stewart at S this year) and I recall from the UA game two years ago that Dean is willing to put his head in and tackle. He also seems to have a mean streak. If so, hopefully he gets better at getting off blocks with improved technique.

If I'm right about Dean at the Star, I hope to see Davis/Stewart and Burney at safeties. If so, I wonder if Grantham would move to using more of a true SS (Burney) and FS (Davis/Stewart).

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey TaggelwainLivesMatter
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $24,057
                      Ratings:
                      +48,392 / -1,815
                      LT Raz is right, but for me it is too hard to even guess. On OL, it is a total crapshoot. We've only seen a couple of these guys on the field at all, Buchanan, Heggie and Big Stone. I'm going to assume therefore that they will be three of the five.

Defense, I just don't know. I don't even understand what Grantham is trying to play and how much the personnel decisions he made last year were roster-based.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                      $2,918
                      Ratings:
                      +3,087 / -356
                      I'm going to start a thread explaining why we're a 3-4 team that plays mostly nickel just to see if I can beat this one.
                      Any time I put a forward slash vs a comma I was trying to saying they were a 1A/1B. I agree that Grimes may be better, but think they're similar players and will rotate pretty evenly to keep them fresh. Due to how much that spot blocks, they dont get to take as many plays off as in other Os.
                      For sure. The 2-deep of the 3 true DL spots are all starters and Shuler will be somewhere. Coaches will try to influence it (by telling the player), but Shuler could decide it by adding or losing weight based off what he wants to play. Best case for us is likely to add weight and stay inside.
                      When we're in a 3-4, the Sam comes in and the WDE becomes the other OLB. The Sam is a contain player, but the WDE has more of a pass rush role so assuming thats Greenard (being over the TE hinders the Sam's passrush). The other OLB is often usually against an OT on runs so prob better for the bigger player. At the same time, Moon had trouble with physical TEs so if his passrush keeps improving maybe greenard does move over.
                      Completely agree on Steele. Could be perfect there. The issue is convincing a guy to be there that is also a stud CB, bc itll cost him money.

I'm a big Dean fan ( think every Gator is) and expect him to play somewhere. He's physical, but that's not the same as 'strength'. The difficult thing about the nickel is that you cant avoid engaging (with a blocker) like u can at safety so then upper body strength comes in and that might be Dean's worst attribute. Dean and Davis are similar in their strengths/weaknesses. Stewart lacks their range, which is why I'm guessing the move, but think any of them can do it.

I seriously might write a dorky thread on this, but basically, you can't really have a FS and SS if you're a man team. Teams shift and motion so much, they'd just switch the roles. Clemson plays with a 225# SS bc they run enough zone to protect him. Bama guessed right early and torched him so Clemson stopped doing it. We don't have the playbook to do what Clemson did.

• Sec14Gator

Sec14Gator Well-Known Member
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $707
                        Ratings:
                        +870 / -41
                        Really appreciate the thought out and explained responses, especially regarding your thoughts on the DLinemen.

I knew what you meant regarding the slash, but I think Grimes May separate himself a bit.