When did Gator Growl die?

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My two cents about this...

1) If sooooo many people were mad enough to skip the Growl, seems to me that the streets would also be empty for the Homecoming Parade. They were not. The acts for the parade don't really change too much either...

2) Growl has always drawn in the non-football fans so that they could participate in homecoming activities without having to sit in the heat at Florida Field. I might be mistaken, but I don't think the average Growl attendee wants to spend 20 minutes paying to watch the Jabbawockeez dance... the best Growls always had cutting edge stuff, from the paid performers, to the cutting edge skits done by the student groups. The powers that be have tried to offer a sanitized experience at Growl and have failed miserably in keeping the attention of the people that actually go to it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They need to bring in Richard Pryor or maybe George Carlin

JimtheGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n15221 said:
They need to bring in Richard Pryor or maybe George Carlin

Wow, kudos to them if they could bring either back from the dead!

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
JimtheGator;n15228 said:
Wow, kudos to them if they could bring either back from the dead!

Me thinks your sarcasm detector isn't working...

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I love how the usual suspects are somehow reaching to blame this on Foley and Muschamp. Give me a f*cking break. It's completely on Florida Blue Key and the Student Government. They quit spending money on decent acts, tried to make it "family friendly" and it now sucks balls. It started sucking in the late 90s when the great Steve Spurrier was still around, so this has ZERO to do with football wins and losses. Get over it already.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen said:
I love how the usual suspects are somehow reaching to blame this on Foley and Muschamp. Give me a f*cking break. It's completely on Florida Blue Key and the Student Government. They quit spending money on decent acts, tried to make it "family friendly" and it now sucks balls. It started sucking in the late 90s when the great Steve Spurrier was still around, so this has ZERO to do with football wins and losses. Get over it already.
:Swamp Queen:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n15076 said:
Speaking of Sister Hazel who else was in Gainesville when their first single dropped and Rock 104 (103.7) and Kiss 105 (105.3) played that damn song every fifth song that day?

Good times. I remember an imposter band that played it at The Swamp (bar/restaurant) often also for those times when you weren't hearing it on 104.

Nautigator

Founding Member
Level 11.5 Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen said:
I agree with Swampy.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n15307 said:

This is correct. It used to be a no holds barred event. That is no longer the case because some candy ass got butthurt over the use of the F word.

I haven't been since I worked the '95 Growl with the UAA. That was my first job at UF, working with the UAA.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n15418 said:
This is correct. It used to be a no holds barred event. That is no longer the case because some candy ass got butthurt over the use of the F word.

I haven't been since I worked the '95 Growl with the UAA. That was my first job at UF, working with the UAA.
Nope it's all muschamp and fooley's fault...i already have my mind made up and i refuse to believe anything else :lalala:

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The downfall began when FAMU stopped marching in the parade.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n15318 said:
Good times. I remember an imposter band that played it at The Swamp (bar/restaurant) often also for those times when you weren't hearing it on 104.

If i was thinking about going the Swamp and heard them, I would keep on going. I beleived they played at the Purple Purpose at times as well.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's not THAT long ago. Last time I went was 2009. OAR was the music (for those that like them) but Dana Carvey was the comedian, and he was hilarious. Previous two years had, 2007 Lynyrd Skynrd and 2008 was Steve Miller Band, so the music wasn't that shabby just 6 to 8 years ago.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
TheDouglas78;n15076 said:
Speaking of Sister Hazel who else was in Gainesville when their first single dropped and Rock 104 (103.7) and Kiss 105 (105.3) played that damn song every fifth song that day?

Actually saw Andrew & Ken at open mic night at the Swamp before they became Sister Hazel

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen said:
Exactly

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n14886 said:
Just looking at the recent list of acts...wow...last year was pretty lame. Sister Hazel? Weren't they the big act back in '98 w/ Chappelle and Ray Romano, Carlos Mencia & Larry the Cable Guy. That has to be the zenith of GG. The acts have really gone down like the team.
Larry the cable guy, Ray Romano, and Carlos Mencia represent the zenith of gator growl to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.