When did Gator Growl die?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n15749 said:
Larry the cable guy, Ray Romano, and Carlos Mencia represent the zenith of gator growl to you?
I remember that Growl...it sucked. Ray Romano just talked about his kids the whole time, not funny at all.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n15757 said:
I remember that Growl...it sucked. Ray Romano just talked about his kids the whole time, not funny at all.
I think Dave Chapelle opened that year and he was pretty good. Fireworks weren't bad either, but the rest was a waste of time and buzz

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n15766 said:
I think Dave Chapelle opened that year and he was pretty good. Fireworks weren't bad either, but the rest was a waste of time and buzz
Chappelle was not the opener that year. Pretty sure he was 98. And he was headliner.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon said:
T REX;n14886 said:
Just looking at the recent list of acts...wow...last year was pretty lame. Sister Hazel? Weren't they the big act back in '98 w/ Chappelle and Ray Romano, Carlos Mencia & Larry the Cable Guy. That has to be the zenith of GG. The acts have really gone down like the team.
Larry the cable guy, Ray Romano, and Carlos Mencia represent the zenith of gator growl to you?
ze·nith
ˈzēniTH/
noun
noun: zenith; plural noun: zeniths

the highest point reached by a celestial or other object.
"the sun was well past the zenith"
the point in the sky or celestial sphere directly above an observer.
the time at which something is most powerful or successful.
"under Justinian, the Byzantine Empire reached its zenith of influence"
synonyms: highest point, high point, crowning point, height, top, acme, peak, pinnacle, apex, apogee, crown, crest, summit, climax, culmination, prime, meridian More

Meant as to GG's popularity...attendance...etc. Not necessarily the acts. Maybe that helps, maybe not.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen said:
Phineus Maximus;n15769 said:
Chapelle was with Romano, Mencia, Larry, and Sister Hazel in '98.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gator_Growl
Wow...could have sworn he was a different year. I stand corrected. Either way, Romano sucked ass. Way too "family friendly".
I would have liked to have made the following two years with Pablo Francisco and Mitch Hedberg. They are two of my all-time favorite comedians. And the year after that they had a virtually unkown Daniel Tosh.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
They announced the act this year will be Ludacris and Foster the People.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n15818 said:

I dig Foster the People. No comedians, huh?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n15818 said:

Ludacris has fallen. Last year he was one of the Saturday Night concert specials after the Rays game.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
They announced a host, who I think was a comedian but I don't remember the name.

Swampy

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n15076 said:
Speaking of Sister Hazel who else was in Gainesville when their first single dropped and Rock 104 (103.7) and Kiss 105 (105.3) played that damn song every fifth song that day?
Me!

Swampy

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n15418 said:
This is correct. It used to be a no holds barred event. That is no longer the case because some candy ass got butthurt over the use of the F word.

I haven't been since I worked the '95 Growl with the UAA. That was my first job at UF, working with the UAA.
I believe that was the year Howie Mandel headlined. Good show.

Gator charm

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coach Dawg also ruined the Orange and Brew, sent the Purple Porpoise into oblivion, forced Brewmasters to close up shop and likely was responsible for the movie theatre at the Union closing down. In fact, what happened to the giant motorized alligator that used to roll into the stadium. He probably was involved in it vanishing. Lastly, the Orange Band Uniforms, what did Coach Dawg do to them? Somehow, he was likely responsible for the whole love bug situation at Paines Prarie as well.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Gator charm said:
Coach Dawg also ruined the Orange and Brew, sent the Purple Porpoise into oblivion, forced Brewmasters to close up shop and likely was responsible for the movie theatre at the Union closing down. In fact, what happened to the giant motorized alligator that used to roll into the stadium. He probably was involved in it vanishing. Lastly, the Orange Band Uniforms, what did Coach Dawg do to them? Somehow, he was likely responsible for the whole love bug situation at Paines Prarie as well.
You're forgetting about his involvment in the Skeeter's closing and making Burrito Brothers move.

There's puzzling evidence tying him to the Hawthorne Sonny's being closed too.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Jax Gator said:
For me it was when the "Smothers Brothers" appeared. They were booed off the stage... Bad night.... I never went again after that...
I worked for Rock 104 at that time and interviewed the Brothers as they exited the limo. the dumb one (Tommy?) dropped an F bomb while I was live on the air and asked 'where are the women'... thank you Tommy. No wonder your Mom liked your other brother better. That show really sucked except their buffet table ...open bar. Nothing like broadcasting while inebriated.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PeePines, you are forgetting Mudcrutch Farms being shut down, the Great Tsunami of 2004, and the Kennedy assassination. There was also talk that he was behind the Zook hiring, but those findings remain inconclusive.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I started going to GG back in the 60s. You could sit where you wanted and the fireworks were shot out of the south endzone. They were amazing right over head.
Hobart Neville the one man marching band, FAMU band showed up quite a few times. Lester Hale reading the preamble to the constitution. Emmitt Smith taking off the Albert suit at growl. Lombardi making a video speech and then getting up from behind his desk with just his boxers on. Buddy Ebsen as the host (drunk). So many great comedians and acts. We had so much fun. Of course that is when the 3 wall raquet ball courts were always filled up with players and people did stuff instead of staring at their phones 24/7. harumph harumph

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Maybe it was '81 or '82. Bob Hope was the GG headliner. He was late coming out, and his people were filming his performance for some kind of redistribution. He was introduced, the crowd basically yawned. His handler said "That wasn't very loud, I'm going to introduce him again and everyone cheer very loud . . . Introducing Mr. Bob Hope!". Everyone booed very loudly. Still makes me laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.