When did you become convinced re Mullen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've been pumping Mullen the entire time. I'd say from day1 I was solidly on board.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was pissed. There were a lot of folks here that were saying anyone but Mullen. I think Augusta was disliking any post that mentioned his name. When I heard that he was the guy sundaS morning after the season was over I chucked a remote across the living room. Never been happier to have been totally and completely wrong. I'm nearly 100% sold on old mullz. Give me another double digit win season and a top 5 class and I'll be full blown :pumper:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
MIembjF.gif

It was when we got this

NjM3YS.gif

instead of this

Those two images tell a lot right there by damn. One says "I've got this". The other says "I'm losing control of this team."

Last edited:

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017

It was when we got this

instead of this

Those two images tell a lot right there by damn
Fred's boy should've done us all a favor and knocked McButter's yellow teeth out.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
View attachment 13698

It was when we got this

View attachment 13699

instead of this

Those two images tell a lot right there by damn. One says "I've got this". The other says "I'm losing control of this team."
That was all planned. He had every intention of doing that to someone for some reason during that game. In his mentally challenged mind, that was his sad attempt to send some type of "I'm the man here" message to the team, ala saban. It failed miserably bc it's not him. That was literally the only time he ever displayed any sort of fire or emotion you could associate with giving a schit. The entire rest of his 2.5 year tenure was nothing but crying at pressers and 'aw shucks gee wilikers we tried real hard'.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

It was when we got this

instead of this

In hindsight, I wish Taylor had punched him in his fckin face until he was unrecognizable.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
As I’ve said many times, Mullen wasn’t on my list due to my memory of him being being brash and cocky as OC under Meyer. I didn’t think GatorNation would embrace him. My mind started to change when he came off the plane and his first presser. Confident, not cocky - I realized a guy grows in 9 years. It’s clear he is dedicated to learning and implementing leadership.

That good feeling grew throughout the spring and into the fall. I’m not sure if I became fully convinced after the MSU game or the second half of the LSU game, but somewhere in there. The only concern I’ve had since then was the 2019 class. He closed that strongly, his bump class is right there with Jimbo & Mario. (I think ESD has changed that dynamic anyway.) 2020 is on pace. As far as I can see, he’s doing everything right.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was pissed. There were a lot of folks here that were saying anyone but Mullen. I think Augusta was disliking any post that mentioned his name.
That was my fault.

I said something like.dont even mention that name.

Augusta is a loyal soldier.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

It was when we got this

instead of this

You guys got it all wrong. Butters wasnt mad about an endzone celebration. He was mad that Taylor scored. You are supposed to fall down after getting a first down.

I heard that is the only way to win, just burn more clock. The other team can win if you keep the ball.

If done properly the correct Butters/Chimp scoring drive should involve 8 first downs and burn at least 16 minutes of clock.

I was told there is no way for the other team to score if you hold the ball..... unless you turnover.

Last edited:

SCColaGator

Dec 31, 2016
However, I am fully convinced he was the right coach to turn the ship around, and I don't think any other hire would have even come close. After the horrible UK thrashing, this team could have folded like a cheap suit, and instead reeled off 5 in a row, including 2 ranked teams and the total destruction of a rival. It was then I absolutely realized that Mullen had the team more mentally prepared than I would have believed. After stubbing our toes against UGA and Missouri, the team yet again went on a tear, destroying everyone.

When was the last time we had a team that destroyed anyone? 2009? That was the biggest take away from this year....

The team at the end of the year was playing like a top 5 team.

Scary part is I expect us to be better this year

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
When I talked to a bunch of disappointed Bull Gators in Jax at Fl-ga game in Butters first year. They wanted Mullen back then.

jgator

Jul 18, 2018
Final ranking of 7 and recruiting class of 9.

He did that with a roster that just went 4-7 and a bunch of B-list recruiters on staff.

If you're skeptical, it's because you are comparing him to Saban/Meyer.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Final ranking of 7 and recruiting class of 9.

He did that with a roster that just went 4-7 and a bunch of B-list recruiters on staff.

They also simply can't stand the thought of admitting they're wrong.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier and Creyer are the standard around here.

If you don't agree it is because you still wear those Zook and Butterteeth underoos.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After the prior two buffoons, I'm on the slow Love Train. I was wrong in my initial Butt Hurt and am happy with the 1st season and the 2019 recruiting...... I gave DM a grade of A- in the poll because of the KY and MO loses, we should have won both games. Still, it was a very good rebound season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier and Creyer are the standard around here.

If you don't agree it is because you still wear those Zook and Butterteeth underoos.
You two are saying the same thing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a great thread!!

I haven't chimed in yet, but I'm on board with most comments here. I wasn't doing backflips when we hired him, but I've always liked the guy. I had the pleasure of meeting him before he ever coached a game at UF - he was the guest speaker at our Kick-off Meeting (1st meeting of the year) at our Gator Club in 2005. He was nice as can be, not "cocky" at all, his wife was there and was as happy as she could be to be there, and he made a great impression. I've always rooted for him.

Now....I do think in 2017 he was "the right hire". I think he's done about as well as anyone could have expected. But some people saying matter-of-factly that he's going to win national championships need to pump the brakes. It's hard as hell to win a national championship...hell, it's almost as hard to win an SEC title. He could be the next Meyer/Spurrier here or he could be a Mark Richt type. We don't know yet. Richt won an SEC title early in his tenure at UGA....and held onto the job much longer than they should have let him. I don't expect an SEC or NC every other year, but I'd like to see us compete for one every year. Richt didn't do that (he had a 6-7 season late in his tenure). I want to see 10 win seasons and "UF" in the hunt annually and I'll be happy....but sooner or later he needs to win it (NC). Once the 'stand-alone' is built and he's competing on an even playing field then I'll be more "demanding". Otherwise, the guy has done all we can expect with his hands tied by the AD's office.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.