When did you become convinced re Mullen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
This is a great thread!!

I haven't chimed in yet, but I'm on board with most comments here. I wasn't doing backflips when we hired him, but I've always like the guy. I had the pleasure of meeting him before he ever coached a game at UF - he was the guest speaker at our Kick-off Meeting (1st meeting of the year) at our Gator Club in 2005. He was nice as can be, not "cocky" at all, his wife was there and was as happy as she could be to be there, and he made a great impression. I've always rooted for him.

Now....I do think in 2017 he was "the right hire". I think he's done about as well as anyone could have expected. But some people saying matter-of-factly that he's going to win national championships need to pump the brakes.It's hard as hell to win a national championship...hell, it's almost as hard to win an SEC title. He could be the next Meyer/Spurrier here or he could be a Mark Richt type. We don't know yet. Richt won an SEC title early in his tenure at UGA....and held onto the job much longer than they should have let him. I don't expect an SEC or NC every other year, but I'd like to see us compete for one every year. Richt didn't do that (he had a 6-7 season late in his tenure). I want to see 10 win seasons and "UF" in the hunt annually and I'll be happy....but sooner or later he needs to win it (NC). Once the 'stand-alone' is built and he's competing on an even playing field then I'll be more "demanding". Otherwise, the guy has done all we can expect with his hands tied by the AD's office.
This is exactly where I am. Its all about championships for me and he hasn't convinced me he's going to get us there. However, if you changed 'convinced' to 'encouraged or hopeful', I'm all in.

I haven't had this much hope since the 2008/2009 offseason. And remember, gators, hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
This is exactly where I am. Its all about championships for me and he hasn't convinced me he's going to get us there. However, if you changed 'convinced' to 'encouraged or hopeful', I'm all in.

I haven't had this much hope since the 2008/2009 offseason. And remember, gators, hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.

This is where I am as well. I'm not convinced. Encouraged yes. Lets see how he does the next couple of years. Our last two coaches seemed to be the answer too, early on in their tenure. Time will tell.

destingator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
So, I’ll say that I thought he was the right hire and should have been the hire back in 2010 when Urban went nuts for the 2nd time. Always really admired his play calling, demeanor, and his ability to coach QB’s

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. However, if you changed 'convinced' to 'encouraged or hopeful', I'm all in..
Spiccoli and I are in lockstep.

Yes, Chimp had one good year, and I guess you could say Butters had two, but neither had a game strategy that made sense. You cant win with zero offense, and believing that all you have to do win is not fumble and not take chances. (This was both coaches, really.)

Im still not a fan of option football, but obviously some teams have success with it. Mullinz has a nice feel for play calling and has some aggressiveness, though not SOS or Dabo like. He oversees the defense and seems to demand some accountability. The coaching chamges thus far have been positive.

If we make it to the next level recruiting and he pushes the AD office to at least he competitive in facilities, we can be in for a long successful ride here.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Interesting that I never posted in this thread. Maybe it was b/c I was only convinced that Cousin Eddie was a shyt eating cawk sucker as a head coach, and I thought the thread was for the knob slobbers.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m petrified every time I see one of these rebooted threads. :lol:

I checked through three pages and didn’t see me, so it’s possible I sat it out. I definitely felt he was an upgrade and better than his predecessors. I just had no idea he’d mail it in with recruiting the way he has.

Also, how about Brad’s “slide in double” comment with no mention of any females close to him immediately following him. First thought was oh boy. Board has changed for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator