When to sell a collectible that has significantly increased in value?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sell when you feel comfortable with a dollar figure.
What will almost always happen is, you try to hold on longer to really hit peak value, and whatever it is will inevitably crash :lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My wife's father is a borderline retard. He has a ton of coins he's bought over the years. He's in bad health and trying to go on disability (he's 61) and needs to sell some of the coins to cover expenses. She's been helping him setup an ebay account and it's like she's dealing with a 5 year old. He got duped out of $300 by a scammer who pulled the "send me a prepaid visa and I'll pay you triple what you're asking for the coin". He's accepted the first bid on multiple coins, and keeps responding to people making ridiculous high offers and just opened an eBay account that day. She's had to take control of it. He's apparently got at least $50k worth of coins and bars.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My wife's father is a borderline retard. He has a ton of coins he's bought over the years. He's in bad health and trying to go on disability (he's 61) and needs to sell some of the coins to cover expenses. She's been helping him setup an ebay account and it's like she's dealing with a 5 year old. He got duped out of $300 by a scammer who pulled the "send me a prepaid visa and I'll pay you triple what you're asking for the coin". He's accepted the first bid on multiple coins, and keeps responding to people making ridiculous high offers and just opened an eBay account that day. She's had to take control of it. He's apparently got at least $50k worth of coins and bars.

freaking old people :facepalm:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Have him PM me....
tenor.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
freaking old people :facepalm:

It's not that he's old (he's 9 years older than me) - it's that he's one of the laziest, sorriest, most ungrateful people I've ever known. She went through all of their bills, they were paying $260/mo for cable - so she called the cable co. and had the bill lowered to $150-ish then a few days later he says "Hey Meliss, we need to add a few channels back." This dude is about to lose his house and he's worried about adding back cable channels. My wife lost her sh*t. lol She went through their cell phone bill and found they were paying for a 3rd line. WHAT??? She set up their bank accounts so they could login to their accounts (it's 2020, the step mom is 58 and he's 61 and they didn't know how to log into their bank accounts!). I've never seen anything like it. Over the years, he's always made cocky comments when the subject of needing money for something comes up (like having to pay for an emergency or something), he'll say, "Well, looks like I might have to sell a couple of coins!" Now it's time to sell coins and the dumbass doesn't know how to sell them!!! What in the actual F*CK!?!?!

I could go on and on.... I just let her deal with it because I'd choke him out.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's not that he's old (he's 9 years older than me) - it's that he's one of the laziest, sorriest, most ungrateful people I've ever known. She went through all of their bills, they were paying $260/mo for cable - so she called the cable co. and had the bill lowered to $150-ish then a few days later he says "Hey Meliss, we need to add a few channels back." This dude is about to lose his house and he's worried about adding back cable channels. My wife lost her sh*t. lol She went through their cell phone bill and found they were paying for a 3rd line. WHAT??? She set up their bank accounts so they could login to their accounts (it's 2020, the step mom is 58 and he's 61 and they didn't know how to log into their bank accounts!). I've never seen anything like it. Over the years, he's always made cocky comments when the subject of needing money for something comes up (like having to pay for an emergency or something), he'll say, "Well, looks like I might have to sell a couple of coins!" Now it's time to sell coins and the dumbass doesn't know how to sell them!!! What in the actual F*CK!?!?!

Geez, that is crazy.

So what’s his ebay username again?

:lol:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

You need to get with the program @BMF. Even people in our age group, which he is, have become a part of the entitlement society. Does not matter if you can afford it, someone else will pick up the tab. Does not matter if he is going to lose his house, gotta have himself some Honey Boo Boo or the dudes that make the duck calls or the Moonshine distillers.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
@bradgator2

Unless it has to be an "all or nothing" sale in order to maximize value, just follow the same rule you're supposed to follow when trading: if you've hit your target but think there is still upside, sell 50% and reap that gain, let the rest ride until next decision point.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@bradgator2

Unless it has to be an "all or nothing" sale in order to maximize value, just follow the same rule you're supposed to follow when trading: if you've hit your target but think there is still upside, sell 50% and reap that gain, let the rest ride until next decision point.

That’s the tricky thing…. this was never intended to be, or approached as, an investment.

If you bought a piece of art for the beauty of it, and 10 years later someone offered you 2x what you paid…. do you sell it? 3x? 10x?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That’s the tricky thing…. this was never intended to be, or approached as, an investment.

If you bought a piece of art for the beauty of it, and 10 years later someone offered you 2x what you paid…. do you sell it? 3x? 10x?
Only you can answer that, Brad... and please stop, you're starting to sound like a little biatch! :lol:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fuch it. Sold these coins to a dealer today. I had roughly $10,000 into it. Sold it for $25,000 cash. Which is exactly what I was expecting with how much these dealers will offer.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Fuch it. Sold these coins to a dealer today. I had roughly $10,000 into it. Sold it for $25,000 cash. Which is exactly what I was expecting with how much these dealers will offer.
What kind of coins were they, collectibles or bullion? Hard to argue with selling and pocketing over double the initial investment....especially since it sounds like you never intended it to be an investment.

If it were bullion from a sovereign mint, you can sell up to 25oz(gold) at a time without paying any taxes ...which is one benefit you don't hear mentioned as a reason to buy and hold gold coins very often.

Now just tell us where you have the rest hidden....:lol:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What kind of coins were they, collectibles or bullion? Hard to argue with selling and pocketing over double the initial investment....especially since it sounds like you never intended it to be an investment.

If it were bullion from a sovereign mint, you can sell up to 25oz(gold) at a time without paying any taxes ...which is one benefit you don't hear mentioned as a reason to buy and hold gold coins very often.

Now just tell us where you have the rest hidden....:lol:

A full collection of Morgan Silver dollars. Which is 106 coins of every year, every mint mark, all professionally graded.

12 pages like this:
50E89D96-BBB8-45AD-8D66-E61E7A34CB62.jpeg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nice return there!

Why did you sell to a dealer vs. trying to find a private buyer? What do you think the dealer will try to get for the lot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator