When you "retire" - what do you plan to do?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was reading the political forum and @Swamp Donkey mentioned SCOTUS' not retiring and why. It seems at some point (70, 75?) they'd want to retire and enjoy the last few years. Someone mentioned that it gives them "purpose". I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, as far as 'having to work' and I'm very ready to retire (and I'm "only" 50). My biggest thing about working is "having to be somewhere". I don't like that. I don't mind my new job, it's relatively easy. I've spoken to dozens of my retired firefighter friends and many of them have told me to have a plan, you can get 'bored' really quick, find something to do, etc.

In my case, I don't play golf, I don't fish, I don't play video games, I don't hunt. I do like to run (I usually run about an hour a day) and go to the gym (which kills an hour or so). But other than chores around the house or out at the cabin, I don't have many real hobbies (which is why I kill so much time on here!). What's your plan? Anything interesting or unusual?

One thing I'm considering doing - becoming a referee - for football, baseball, softball, maybe other sports. I figure it would keep me busy and get me out of the house. My wife wants 3 or 4 (or more) airbnb's for us to make some income and manage, so I'd spend some time doing 'handyman' work there. Also considered getting a part-time job at a Ritz or high end Marriott (preferably in the gym handing out towels) so we can get a discount on Marriott hotels when we travel.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I can't imagine retiring. It absolutely terrifies me. I don't have any kids so no grandkids. Not alot of life events left. Will probably work until they kick me out or my health takes a down turn. Then might volunteer someplace.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
many of them have told me to have a plan, you can get 'bored' really quick, find something to do, etc.

One thing I'm considering doing - becoming a referee - for football, baseball, softball, maybe other sports. I figure it would keep me busy and get me out of the house. My wife wants 3 or 4 (or more) airbnb's for us to make some income and manage, so I'd spend some time doing 'handyman' work there. Also considered getting a part-time job at a Ritz or high end Marriott (preferably in the gym handing out towels) so we can get a discount on Marriott hotels when we travel.

Yes, have a plan. I'm 50 as well, but starting to ask myself 'when' (and no, I don't have a plan either). I've just seen enough folks 'retire' and it just accelerates their demise. We all have different interests, just find something you enjoy, so you aren't 'working' again, that would be my recommendation.

Right now, I'm struggling as I really, really, really want to coach my kid's soccer teams, but I work an hour away so getting back in time for a 3pm practice is somewhat moot. By the time I retire, my kids will be out of school...so, there goes that.

For actual retirement, the wife and I have always loved to travel, so we'll make plans for that when the time comes and we re-evaluate how much we have left after paying for college. Duly noted, however, her parents did the same thing and her dad's health declined so fast they never got to travel. He died 5y ago (worked up until the end) and she won't go on her own (she's also working up to the end but starting to slow down). Wife claims there is a Winebego with our name on it and a route to visit all the college football stadiums we can. I say no, especially with her dog. We'll see who wins that one.

On the personal side, I'm also looking at volunteering at the local elementary (0.25mi walk from the house), to keep me around those young energetic kids and to keep my mind sharp helping them with homework and stuff. I can do that deep into my years. Perhaps before that I actually do take up serious coaching, maybe refereeing (likely not).

Travel and tutoring, that's all I got so far.

I can't imagine retiring. It absolutely terrifies me. I don't have any kids so no grandkids. Not alot of life events left. Will probably work until they kick me out or my health takes a down turn. Then might volunteer someplace.

Aye, volunteer. Have value, help others.

I'm also banking on having grandkids around the time I retire, and I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time with them wherever they live (there's my travel). I see you say you have no kids, but it's not too late to adopt :D

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes, have a plan. I'm 50 as well, but starting to ask myself 'when' (and no, I don't have a plan either). I've just seen enough folks 'retire' and it just accelerates their demise. We all have different interests, just find something you enjoy, so you aren't 'working' again, that would be my recommendation.

Right now, I'm struggling as I really, really, really want to coach my kid's soccer teams, but I work an hour away so getting back in time for a 3pm practice is somewhat moot. By the time I retire, my kids will be out of school...so, there goes that.

For actual retirement, the wife and I have always loved to travel, so we'll make plans for that when the time comes and we re-evaluate how much we have left after paying for college. Duly noted, however, her parents did the same thing and her dad's health declined so fast they never got to travel. He died 5y ago (worked up until the end) and she won't go on her own (she's also working up to the end but starting to slow down). Wife claims there is a Winebego with our name on it and a route to visit all the college football stadiums we can. I say no, especially with her dog. We'll see who wins that one.

On the personal side, I'm also looking at volunteering at the local elementary (0.25mi walk from the house), to keep me around those young energetic kids and to keep my mind sharp helping them with homework and stuff. I can do that deep into my years. Perhaps before that I actually do take up serious coaching, maybe referring (likely not).

Travel and tutoring, that's all I got so far.

Aye, volunteer. Have value, help others.

I'm also banking on having grandkids around the time I retire, and I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time with them wherever they live (there's my travel). I see you say you have no kids, but it's not too late to adopt :D

Right now I hope to get out by 56. But I'm also trying to find some way to move back to Florida - that's goal #1. I'm hoping my current job will let me move and fly up to DC one week a month. We'll see. I'm going to ask around Feb or March. If they say no, I'm going to have to re-evaluate (quit and look for a job in Florida, stay here in DC until they do allow me to move/tele-work, find a job in DC that's full-time telelwork, then move).

I have a 2 year old grandson, so I want to see him grow up - and see my son more often. My mom is 76, so I want to see her also before it's too late. I'm not sure if I'll volunteer, but refereeing games I think would be a lot of fun (sure, there will be some heat from parents, coaches, and players). I also thought about coaching, but that's a real commitment.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Too many variables to know what is likely to happen, so this is more like a list of possibilities and interests than carefully laid plans. We'll see what I can do, depending on time and money available...

-Find work that keeps me connected with the military or veterans, if possible. Full retirement age is difficult to predict right now.
-Do home DIY projects and have a wood shop, maybe make one of those cool lookin wood tables with a blue epoxy river running down the middle.
-Buy some lakefront Air bnb properties for extra income and vacation spots for the kids and the theoretical grandkids to visit. Probably adds more DIY projects to the schedule.
-Join a VFW or American Legion for some volunteer opportunities to give back.
-Play a little golf.
-Annoy my wife with my perpetual teenager mindset.
-Maintain fitness and proficiency at the gun range to make our Forefathers proud.

Some of these ideas might be limited or put on hold while my main focus will soon shift to "primary care giver" for my dad. Only God knows what the future holds, but I ask Him regularly for neon signs to point me in the right direction. I don't catch subtle hints very well...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Too many variables to know what is likely to happen, so this is more like a list of possibilities and interests than carefully laid plans. We'll see what I can do, depending on time and money available...

-Find work that keeps me connected with the military or veterans, if possible. Full retirement age is difficult to predict right now.
-Do home DIY projects and have a wood shop, maybe make one of those cool lookin wood tables with a blue epoxy river running down the middle.
-Buy some lakefront Air bnb properties for extra income and vacation spots for the kids and the theoretical grandkids to visit. Probably adds more DIY projects to the schedule.
-Join a VFW or American Legion for some volunteer opportunities to give back.
-Play a little golf.
-Annoy my wife with my perpetual teenager mindset.
-Maintain fitness and proficiency at the gun range to make our Forefathers proud.

Some of these ideas might be limited or put on hold while my main focus will soon shift to "primary care giver" for my dad. Only God knows what the future holds, but I ask Him regularly for neon signs to point me in the right direction. I don't catch subtle hints very well...

Good list MC. I'm a VFW member and really enjoy it - the VFW here in DC is mostly "younger" (like under 50) comparted to a lot of the VFW's I've been to.

Shooting is definitely on my list. I want to buy acreage somewhere in central Florida on a lake. We'd like to airbnb it too, which is what we do with our mountain cabin now (and it's killing it due to the China virus, people want to get away and they can only do it within driving distance, it stays full. Hopefully that trend continues until we sell).

You didn't mention drinking lots of whiskey when BMF visits you in Gainesville!!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Good list MC. I'm a VFW member and really enjoy it - the VFW here in DC is mostly "younger" (like under 50) comparted to a lot of the VFW's I've been to.

Shooting is definitely on my list. I want to buy acreage somewhere in central Florida on a lake. We'd like to airbnb it too, which is what we do with our mountain cabin now (and it's killing it due to the China virus, people want to get away and they can only do it within driving distance, it stays full. Hopefully that trend continues until we sell).

You didn't mention drinking lots of whiskey when BMF visits you in Gainesville!!
Duh, how could I forget that??? Hopefully, you'll be stopping by frequently!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do smart and proactive individuals (like most of the finance forum people) actually ever fully retire? Their brains wouldnt allow it.

For me, it looks more and more like my destiny is to relocate my family's farm in Tx. Although I would not actively farm it or handle the cattle... I would probably manage it. It was given to my grandfather roughly 100 years ago as a gift when he turned 18. More like: here's some land, now gtfo. The work is never ending. But it wont be a job.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
al-bundy-bar.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Do smart and proactive individuals (like most of the finance forum people) actually ever fully retire? Their brains wouldnt allow it.

For me, it looks more and more like my destiny is to relocate my family's farm in Tx. Although I would not actively farm it or handle the cattle... I would probably manage it. It was given to my grandfather roughly 100 years ago as a gift when he turned 18. More like: here's some land, now gtfo. The work is never ending. But it wont be a job.

What part of Texas? I posted earlier about wanting some acreage, but we're looking for central Florida - I'd like it to be on a lake. I don't really want to farm it or anything (other than having a garden maybe), but I want to be able to shoot on the land - set up a gun range. I'm sure the neighbors will love me, but it wouldn't be too frequent.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What part of Texas? I posted earlier about wanting some acreage, but we're looking for central Florida - I'd like it to be on a lake. I don't really want to farm it or anything (other than having a garden maybe), but I want to be able to shoot on the land - set up a gun range. I'm sure the neighbors will love me, but it wouldn't be too frequent.

About 90 minutes east of San Antonio. True old school Texas farm/oil area. 240 acres. Half is crop area, half is cattle pasture with pond. I dont think I would purposely pick this area of Texas. But it’s deep rooted family land.

And as long as it remains a farm... the yearly taxes are almost zero.

Here is a pic last weekend of the sunset:
C30F14C5-0F25-4BA3-9A03-E3755273410F.jpeg

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Your Central Florida lake front is going to come down to how much "redneck" you can handle.

The Leesburg/Eustis (Lake Griffin, Lake Harris, Lake Eustis) is still semi-reasonable. And those lakes are pretty damn nice. I'd put it at a redneck level 7.

Virgin 5 acre, lake front land for 325:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Lakeshore-Dr-Yalaha-FL-34797/62771025_zpid/

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
:My plan was to touch the future. Worked out amazingly well. The plan? Thank God Im flexible.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Do what I did. Have kids at 50 and you have plenty to do in retirement.
I think my wife would kill me in my sleep if I tried that. We'll have plenty to do, anyway, but hoping grandkids will be part of the adventure. The great thing about grandkids is that whenever you're ready, you can hand them BACK to the parents.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stop planning.

For me, I wouldn’t call it planning. Really just trying to be aware of possible paths. These “options” seem to be presenting themselves more frequently. Dont know if that is an age thing or awareness thing.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
For me, I wouldn’t call it planning. Really just trying to be aware of possible paths. These “options” seem to be presenting themselves more frequently. Dont know if that is an age thing or awareness thing.
It's both, but probably more awareness and openess

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.