Where are 5 star players?

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...da-getting-more-interest-from-5-star-recruits

Fodder for recruitniks pro and con Coach Mac. Discuss or ignore at your pleasure.

Why aren’t we getting more interest from 5-star prospects when we are improving but in need of talent?
(From @SeiboldG8r)

Unless you’re Alabama or Ohio State, the last two national champions who happen to have the best coaches in college football, it’s hard to land 5-star recruits.

There’s only 30 or so every year and they’re spread out across the country. You have to be able to recruit nationally and pluck prospects from anywhere you please.

UF is not there yet under Jim McElwain, even though his program is on an upward trajectory. It will take an SEC title or a national championship for the Gators to regain that appeal.

If you’re Florida, you hope that you can get one or two of the 5-star prospects in your state. In McElwain’s first class, the Gators got a pair of them.

Last year, there was only one 5-star recruit from Florida, and his brother played for the Buckeyes. This year there are five prospects from the Sunshine State with a 5-star rating.

Trevon Grimes, an Ohio State WR commit, grew up two hours away from OSU in Indiana. Auburn offensive tackle commit Calvin Ashley is from Orlando but attends high school in Washington, D.C.

Then there’s wide receiver Jerry Jeudy (Deerfield Beach), offensive tackle Alex Leatherwood (Pensacola) and cornerbacks Stanford Samuels III (Hollywood) and Shaun Wade (Jacksonville).

Wade is originally from Alabama and looks like he could flip from Ohio State to the Crimson Tide, while Samuels is an FSU legacy who committed to the Seminoles.

So in reality, Jeudy and Leatherwood are the only true Floridians that UF had a shot with this year, and both committed to Alabama over Florida. The Gators finished in second place … it happens.

The coaches are still trying to flip Jeudy and Leatherwood, but look, they can’t land every recruit. They beat out Alabama, Auburn and host of other schools for CeCe Jefferson and Martez Ivey in 2015.

There’s no doubt that 5-star prospects are important and help win championships, but they don’t define a recruiting class. And every school not named Alabama or Ohio State is only in the mix for a few of them in each cycle.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure on the 5 stars but no excuse for not having more of the top FL players when coaching at UF whether down some or not. All the other coaches had top classes by their 2nd recruiting class since Spurrier was the coach. This time he needs a top 10 class in the rankings and star average or he wont survive.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Not sure on the 5 stars but no excuse for not having more of the top FL players when coaching at UF whether down some or not. All the other coaches had top classes by their 2nd recruiting class since Spurrier was the coach. This time he needs a top 10 class in the rankings and star average or he wont survive.
Unless a miracle happens...and we flip a couple of kids...this won't be a top 10 class

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Unless a miracle happens...and we flip a couple of kids...this won't be a top 10 class

Well I guess this year will probably determine if he gets a 4th season or not. If we end up with 4 losses again I doubt he survives after next season but hopefully I am wrong on that.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Mac's 2015 hiring and arrival occur too late for Mac & crew to create typical/necessary recruiting
relationships for his first season ? If so, doesn't that mean that this incoming 2017-class is his first "real"
recruit-class where he is recognized as the U of F "home base", where McCrew had one year, as the
"the new guys on the block", to bring in UF's 2017 class ? Mac-n-crew had zero reputation as recruiters in the SEC geographics/demographics ?? If Mac pulls off another SEC-CG natty-TV battle with Bama, that gives Mac-n-crew some "honest" high-level achievement to "honest-brag" about
UF's rising status.

It could be that Mac is so attached to being totally honest that he has trouble exaggerating (lying) to recruits and Mom & Dad ? (Aren't we like that ? I mean, if a co-worker asks you to lie for him, wouldn't you get a lump in your throat as you tried to vocalize the lie, the deceit, the misleading of that other person ?). IMO, solidifying a reputation as an HC that won't BS you and as an HC players love to
play for will get UF rewarded with the best recruits with the best attitudes to be Gators. Mac's got that process advancing. And he's only just now (2016's end) spreading that message honoring our university.

Of course, all my favorable opinions will evaporate if the recruit classes of 2017, 2018 do not show an
upswing in star ratings. Also, a plus for me would be if some of Mac's developing 3*s turn out to play just like 4*s, 5*s. I believe we are "honestly" on our way to be a nationally prominent CFB program.
Of course, beating LSU & especially FSU will advance us more. A valiant effort against Bama too.

Again, Mac's coaching/teaching style will shine to recruits as magnetic, as desirable to become a part of = a "playing time" part of. Go Gators.

PS>> One day from now, if we "wet the bed" at Arky, then my claims don't hold water. :cool:

Last edited:

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
I honestly believe that you can tell where a kid is going by following where he visits the most. Visits become important beacause the kids can get a feel of how Mac an Co really are by talking to our current players. I truly think Mac is a great person and the players really like him. He is probably too truthful to a fault but I wouldn't want my sons to play for a liar either. We will have a top 15 class unless we beat Bama in the SECCG, then we will pull a top 10 class. Heck just beating Arky, SC, LSU and F$U may be enough to flip Leatherwood and Wade. Lets hope!

Go Gators!!!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's not about bringing five star recruits in. It's about bringing top recruits.

Last year, we brought four of the top 25 recruits in the state of Florida. We used to bring in over half of them. Sometimes 3/4s of them. This was done consistently under Zuck, Spurrier, Meyer, and chump.

Here's the link. I'll look up this year's class in a few minutes.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/florida/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3555

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Pumpers List of Excuses:

1. Not Enough Time to Build Relationships
2. Not Winning Championships/Games
3. Grier

Time to face it - Mac Cannot Recruit. Beating FSU or even Alabama this year isn't going to magically flip a bunch of high profiled players. We have a deadbeat recruiting staff with a HC who is about as likable as a ****-flavored lollipop

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly believe that you can tell where a kid is going by following where he visits the most. Visits become important beacause the kids can get a feel of how Mac an Co really are by talking to our current players. I truly think Mac is a great person and the players really like him. He is probably too truthful to a fault but I wouldn't want my sons to play for a liar either. We will have a top 15 class unless we beat Bama in the SECCG, then we will pull a top 10 class. Heck just beating Arky, SC, LSU and F$U may be enough to flip Leatherwood and Wade. Lets hope!

Go Gators!!!

A top 15 class? JC. It's insane what some of us are satisfied with. That's about a middle of the pack SEC class.

GatorRaz

Dec 12, 2014
A top 15 class? JC. It's insane what some of us are satisfied with. That's about a middle of the pack SEC class.
I'm defiantly not satisfied, our recruiting is in trouble if this class isn't in the top 10. I would prefer to be in the top 5 but that isn't going to happen. It's about getting players who fit and who can help you win. If we sign 25 kids I believe we should have 5 3*'s max. However that isn't the reality w' the shape this program was left in. We aren't getting top talent on D because the recruits want to have an O that can score. It's going to take time and little bit of a miracle to get us back to a top 5 program. If Mac wins out and beats Bama people better look out for the Gators!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here is a more updated State of Florida Ranking:

https://n.rivals.com/ranks/2742

Still ONE of the top 25. However there was a shift in other slots. So we're at 6 of the op 50.

Who's pillaging Florida?

OSU: 3 of the top 25. And the #1 and #2 player in the state.
Bama: 4

What about instate schools

FSU: 4 of the top 25
Miami: 2 of the top 25

So, who has the same amount of players as us IN OUR OWN STATE?

Notre Dame
LSU
Auburn
Georgia
Maryland

Our best best to pull in more than ONE of the top 25 is to pull in Parks and Robinson. Parks is an FSU lean. Robinson has grade issues. So we'll see.

GatorRaz

Dec 12, 2014
Here is a more updated State of Florida Ranking:

https://n.rivals.com/ranks/2742

Still ONE of the top 25. However there was a shift in other slots. So we're at 6 of the op 50.

Who's pillaging Florida?

OSU: 3 of the top 25. And the #1 and #2 player in the state.
Bama: 4

What about instate schools

FSU: 4 of the top 25
Miami: 2 of the top 25

So, who has the same amount of players as us IN OUR OWN STATE?

Notre Dame
LSU
Auburn
Georgia
Maryland

Our best best to pull in more than ONE of the top 25 is to pull in Parks and Robinson. Parks is an FSU lean. Robinson has grade issues. So we'll see.

Good info J. I am curious where Michigan is on that list. Do have that by chance?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good info J. I am curious where Michigan is on that list. Do have that by chance?

Just Kai-Leon Hebert - The OL that they swiped from us. Meatchicken cleaned our clocks last year in S.FL. They've been relatively quiet this year. But they didn't make all their noise until the last month of the cycle.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's not about bringing five star recruits in. It's about bringing top recruits.

Last year, we brought four of the top 25 recruits in the state of Florida. We used to bring in over half of them. Sometimes 3/4s of them. This was done consistently under Zuck, Spurrier, Meyer, and chump.

Here's the link. I'll look up this year's class in a few minutes.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/florida/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3555

Make all the excuses you want but this is the reality. Mac arrived his first year no later than any other UF coach so you can't use that as an excuse.
Every other coach starting with SOS cleaned up in year two except Mac.
I love the line in the first article that says "Florida will need to win a conference and possibly national championship to get back to getting five stars."
How do you ever win any titles without loads of top talent? Is the writer serious? This is the equivalent to saying that before you can become a millionaire, you must get a million dollars. What tremendous insight.

I sure hope he turns it around but so far it appears that we are heading for a talent cliff next year

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Make all the excuses you want but this is the reality. Mac arrived his first year no later than any other UF coach so you can't use that as an excuse.
Every other coach starting with SOS cleaned up in year two except Mac.
I love the line in the first article that says "Florida will need to win a conference and possibly national championship to get back to getting five stars."
How do you ever win any titles without loads of top talent? Is the writer serious? This is the equivalent to saying that before you can become a millionaire, you must get a million dollars. What tremendous insight.

I sure hope he turns it around but so far it appears that we are heading for a talent cliff next year

How is saying we have underperformed in the state of Florida making an excuse? :dunno:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Appreciate your opinion but it's just your opinion.....

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
We aren't getting top talent on D because the recruits want to have an O that can score. It's going to take time and little bit of a miracle to get us back to a top 5 program. If Mac wins out and beats Bama people better look out for the Gators!

LMAO

Dude we aren't getting top talent because we can't recruit...you're either high or have been huffing paint for hours to believe anything outside of that. Even with 0 offense, Chimp still was able to bring better recruits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb