Where did the term "School Out West" originate?

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So these other members are lying?

Not gonna dispute the other members. I listened to everything Spurrier I could when he was here and don't recall SOW being said but maybe I missed it. Like Law I recall Spurrier always using Semis but I'm sure he mixed it up too.

That said, Urban definitely made SOW the popular moniker for the Semis during his tenure and when I think of the term I think of Urban. So my memory agrees with Law but I'm becoming one of those old guys so...

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not gonna dispute the other members. I listened to everything Spurrier I could when he was here and don't recall SOW being said but maybe I missed it. Like Law I recall Spurrier always using Semis but I'm sure he mixed it up too.

That said, Urban definitely made SOW the popular moniker for the Semis during his tenure and when I think of the term I think of Urban. So my memory agrees with Law but I'm becoming one of those old guys so...

A voice of reason!

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
So these other members are lying?

WillingInfiniteGarpike-small.gif

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
CG Gator vaguely remembers his dad saying did you hear what Spurrier called the noles today......all the rest are just hangers on....

Vaguely? I must not be getting my point across very well:

I remember my dad asking if I heard about the very statement in question.

I remember SEEING THE VIDEO later that same day on the local news, but looking back I couldn’t tell you if it was from a press conference or booster club meeting. Probably the latter.

I remember when urbs was first hired and the initial stories and interviews hit the papers and interwebs, one of the questions was “what attracted you to UF?”... Among several answers he gave, SOS’ offense, legacy and particularly his ability to get under rivals’ skin. He said he loved that Spurrier referred to f$u as the SOW. urbs adopted the term immediately and used it every chance he got.

It’s likely that Spurrier only said it that one time. It was not in his everyday vocabulary like semis and free shoes. But he said it first.

I typically concede if I’m not 100% sure about a fact or memory, because I’m not one of the guys on this board who insists on being right every single time. But I have no such doubts about my memory on this particular topic. Donkey just hates urbs so much, he can’t let it go.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Vaguely? I must not be getting my point across very well:

I remember my dad asking if I heard about the very statement in question.

I remember SEEING THE VIDEO later that same day on the local news, but looking back I couldn’t tell you if it was from a press conference or booster club meeting. Probably the latter.

I remember when urbs was first hired and the initial stories and interviews hit the papers and interwebs, one of the questions was “what attracted you to UF?”... Among several answers he gave, SOS’ offense, legacy and particularly his ability to get under rivals’ skin. He said he loved that Spurrier referred to f$u as the SOW. urbs adopted the term immediately and used it every chance he got.

It’s likely that Spurrier only said it that one time. It was not in his everyday vocabulary like semis and free shoes. But he said it first.

I typically concede if I’m not 100% sure about a fact or memory, because I’m not one of the guys on this board who insists on being right every single time. But I have no such doubts about my memory on this particular topic. Donkey just hates urbs so much, he can’t let it go.

This is most likely the case in a nutshell as the entire premise of SOW by Urban is refusing to refer to the semis directly, whereas Spurrier had a veritable plethora of direct and derogatory names for them and used them at every opportunity.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I know this, I loved it when he said...

"I was at the Orlando Gator Club and I said, 'We finally have found some gators that the Seminoles hate worse than the Florida Gators. It's called the NCAA investi-gators." /SOS

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
I love to bag on Meyer, but the dude is impressive. While he was the wr coach at csu he was able to find a video of SOS speaking at a booster club. A video and quote that most of us diehards had no idea about, or maybe saw and forgot forever. I love to hate on Meyer, but hes pretty remarkable.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. 4 pages......so far. :facepalm:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The only way to settle this is for Dooley to do some investigative journalism. Oh wtf am I talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator