Who should Mullen's replacement be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I haven’t studied available coaches that much but lean to Luke Fickell. What’s his negatives?

I have no qualms with anyone not named Cousin Eddie right now. but off the top of my head, the masses who are Gator fans will say he is a "defensive minded" coach. And as you know the Gator masses must have an "Offensive Minded" HC. I am so sick of that shyt. I want a Head Coach. I do not give a shyt if his expertise is in washing the towels!

Oh wait. Wasn't Fickell the HC for one year at OSU keeping the seat warm for Leyer after Tressel was fired? And didn't that team lose a meaningless bowl game to a Muscrat coached UF team? Well that eliminates him!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t really know there’s any sure-fire guy out there that we would be able to land. We COULD hire anyone we want, but we aren’t committed enough.
There aren't. Unfortunately all options are high risk.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And as you know the Gator masses must have an "Offensive Minded" HC. I am so sick of that shyt.
If your HC isn't the OC then you are constantly losing any OC that even approaches mediocrity to an HC position and you get stuck with the Doug Nussdrunks of the world on the offensive side.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
If your HC isn't the OC then you are constantly losing any OC that even approaches mediocrity to an HC position and you get stuck with the Doug Nussdrunks of the world on the offensive side.

If you are a shyt HC, then you choose to get stuck with or hire the NussNuts of the world. If you are a good HC, you find competent assistants. We can agree to disagree on this.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
There aren't. Unfortunately all options are high risk.

But less risky than Cousin Eddie. At this point what is the difference in 7-8 wins a year, playing poor fundamental football with ZERO chance of going anywhere, or perhaps getting stuck with 4-5 wins by taking a chance? Against my adamant screams they hired Cousin Eddie, but in this case I will take the SHYT I don;t know over the SHYT I know!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
5. James Franklin, Penn State head coach
James Franklin has been linked to every other coaching job out there. Why not Florida?
The Penn State head coach has spent time in the SEC before at Vanderbilt. There he worked miracles despite being at the hardest place to win in the conference.
He's taken a step forward with the Nittany Lions but the Gators could give him an even more fertile recruiting ground with the resources to boot.

4. Luke Fickell, Cincinnati head coach
There isn't a hotter name on the coaching carousel than Luke Fickell. He's led Cincinnati to the No. 3 ranking this season but it no one-season wonder. This campaign has been coming with 11-win seasons in 2018 and 2019 before posting a 9-1 record in 2020.
Fickell has developed lower-end recruits into lean, mean fighting machines.
He's on the radar for just about every opening but getting him to leave the state of Ohio for Florida would be tricky.

3. Joe Brady, Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator
Joe Brady engineered one of the most high-powered offenses in college football history when he was the passing game coordinator for LSU in 2019. Now he's the offensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers and rehabilitating Sam Darnold's pro career.
Even though he's quite young, it might be time for Brady to take the next step into a head coaching opportunity. Someone is going to give him that chance sooner than later.
He was born and raised in Florida, so the Gators could pitch to bring him home.

2. Mark Stoops, Kentucky head coach
No one has done more with less than Mark Stoops at Kentucky. Working in the shadow of their illustrious basketball program, Stoops has spent the last decade pulling the Wildcats out of the SEC basement.
In 2018 they won 10 games and they've started the 2021 season on a 6-0 run. What he's done with Kentucky has been impressive. He's earned a promotion.
He's also familiar with the state of Florida and its recruiting footprint. He was previously a DBs coach at South Florida and Miami before serving as a defensive coordinator at Florida State.

1. Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina head coach
You probably didn't know what Coastal Carolina was a few years ago. The fact that you know now is down to Jamey Chadwell.
The Chanticleers head coach has successfully transitioned the program into the FBS, winning the Sun Belt in 2020 while picking up Coach of the Year honors. They've opened 2021 at 6-0 as well.
Chadwell has an eye for offense and has won in multiple places as a head coach.
The only thing he lacks is major college football experience. Florida would be taking a chance on him, but it could pay off big time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is basically Dan Mullin spread option type OC, just like everyone else it seems. No inside running game, less QB keeper though which is great. A little more vertical passing.

No idea how he would recruit. No doubt he has few contacts down here.

There isn't much talent on the opposing teams, and not much on that coaching staff. He's never been near a P5 program either.

Unlike Urban and staff who were all P5 guys at one point, and who had elite coach friends. Urban had that aura and attracted good coaches. About half his Utah staff didn't make the trip. That is what we'd need here for sure. More than half.

I don't hate him but I wish we had a better option. I think I'd take Brian Johnson first because he is maybe the same offense but with recruiting. Not sure though.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Im not suggesting we keep that pile of shyt. We KNOW we are getting nowhere with him. And the roster gets worse every year.

I think you need to consult with @LoyalGatorFan b/c according to him, Cousin Eddie is a good to great defense from making Nick Saban, Bear Bryant, Knute Rockne and Bud Wilkinson as distant memories on the Mt. Rushmore of College FB Coaches.

Go Gators

Dec 13, 2020
  1. Lane Kiffin
  2. Jamey Chadwell
  3. Luke Fickell
  4. Dave Aranda
Any of those would be better than we have now. Not sure about Aranda but has turned Baylor around. I’d love Joe Brady but what I’ve read about him is he’s ready for a NFL HC job. Call Brady first and make him say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb