oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when I thought we'd never see an OL worse than Halapio
Just saw this:

Giants coach Pat Shurmur said C Jon Halapio has opened some eyes this spring. The Giants are looking for a new center after losing Weston Richburg in free agency. Brett Jones appeared to be the favorite after he ended last season as the starter, but Halapio saw first-team reps during OTAs this week. A sixth-round pick in 2014, Halapio had his first regular-season snaps last season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I still think of Kestahn Moore in a powerfully negative way to this day. His turnovers and gaffes led to our losses to UGA and LSU in 2007, and cost us a shot at the NC, whether we deserved it or not. LSU won it all that year with 2 losses. Moore was a major choke artist.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Jackson may be driving the bus but Ronald Powell has a front row seat on the bus of 5 star busts. He completely underwhelmed

And he was among those recruits in 2010 that came in with a well-honed sense of entitlement.

A few guys I’ll add to this odd list:

Reid Fleming/Travis Harris led a frustrating era where we couldn’t seem to find or develop elite linebackers.

Doug Johnson - As recently discussed in other threads, had all the tools but ruined by baseball and the money baseball dumped on him. Should have sparkled under SOS, and did rack up some stats and moments, but cost UF a few more SEC championships and shots at NC’s.

John Brantley - Great kid and from great Gator family, but what a lousy fit for Meyer to recruit.

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
I still think of Kestahn Moore in a powerfully negative way to this day. His turnovers and gaffes led to our losses to UGA and LSU in 2007, and cost us a shot at the NC, whether we deserved it or not. LSU won it all that year with 2 losses. Moore was a major choke artist.
I originally posted DeShawn Wynn last night, but Moore is the guy I was thinking of due to those costly fumbles which just always seemed to happen at all the wrong times. My sincerest apologies to Wynn.

Thanks for posting this name Ox. Jogged the memory correctly.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Will Hill definitely falls in this category. Except for that the INT against Georgia, he was pretty bad. Maybe not the worst ever but one of the most overrated guys that didn’t live up to his recruiting hype.

Hill’s issues were all character related. One of those guys you’d see flashes of his extraordinary talent but he couldn’t overcome his appetites etc. What a waste.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hill’s issues were all character related. One of those guys you’d see flashes of his extraordinary talent but he couldn’t overcome his appetites etc. What a waste.
Hill went on to be a better safety in the NFL than he was at UF.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Also...although just a kicker, Austin Hardin was dog snot.
Yikes. I think I had repressed the memories. I was on the road during the first of our two games to clinch the "Eastern title." :loser:

My son and I had stopped at an IHOP that had free wifi so I could stream it. A couple of other Gators had gathered around the table. I was absolutely convinced he was going to miss that kick and we were going to lose to Vandy at home. If I had only known how bad things were going to get....

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bobby Sabelhaus, 5 star all world QB out of high school, never even smelled the field once he got to UF.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Octavius Gould - the next Emmitt

I seem to recall Gould was the starter and didn’t do much, then a backup RB rotated in, then Hall threw a true freshman by the name of Emmitt Smith out there and all of a sudden our offense started rolling. Gould disappeared after that. Am I remembering wrong? Not sure how Gould could be the next Emmitt in that scenario.

Also, I’m pretty sure Errict Rhett was the day 1 starter when Emmitt declared early and SOS unleashed the Fun n Gun.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Some of his fumbles were frustrating, but I recall some heavy hitting in that lswho game, including some extremely well-placed helmets right on the ball that even caused Timmy to fumble, too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bobby Sabelhaus, 5 star all world QB out of high school, never even smelled the field once he got to UF.
I was watching a spring game and the kid could not even throw a screen pass to the wide side of the field. He was throwing the ball at best like 15-20 yards. Amazing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tie between Donald Douglas and Kyle Morris.
I agree but dont you have to give them some credit for being basically walkon level talent? Youd expect them to suck. Like if Trask some how plays and puts up numbers like he did in spring game, less than 50% completions, 0 tds/ 2 ints per half, 0 zero yards rushing, he is just putting up walkon numbers as expected, right?

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hill went on to be a better safety in the NFL than he was at UF.

True - he was considered a steal of sorts until his character issues scuttled his emerging career. Per Wikipedia he’s playing in Canada now.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
John Brown is telling Ronald Powell and Kyle Jackson to backup on the 5 Star defensive bust bus. At least Tory Davis had one good series in his career in the most important spot against Oklahoma. Brown completely disappeared.

Westbrook, while awful, saved us all another Muschamp season by dropping that ball versus LSU, so he has a warm spot in my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb